Revell Flower Class Corvette 1/144

On 2016-09-19 at 6:51 AM, robgizlu said:

Detailing continues with the Bridge.  I have really no idea what the curved metal bits at the front represent but they are prominent in the original pics and seem peculiar to Crocus

DSCF7444_zpsyc0dnryd.jpg

They look as though they're what's left over after a couple of floodlights meant to illuminate the upper decks were removed. The lamps and shades are gone, leaving only the goosenecks.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments team.  Jessica, Tom - good thoughts - I guess we'll never know though either way still peculiar to Crocus.

Colour Scheme

One of the nice things about modelling boats vs AFVs is Colour.  

The Colour schemes for Corvettes by 1942 - the date that Crocus is depicted roughly fell into 2 groups - "Western approaches" using white predominantly with patterns of pastel blue or green and Admiralty Disruptive patterns.  Alan Raven's "Warship Perspectives Camouflage Vol 2" asserts that most RN ships were camouflaged by WW2 contrasting with the often uniform greys at war-start.

HMS Crocus wears an admiralty disruptive scheme, possibly due to her duties which at late 1941/early 1942 essentially had her operate out of Freetown on the West African coast versus N. Atlantic duties.  There are only 2 original colour photos of wartime corvettes that I can find on the web, both well known showing HMCS Weyburn and HMCS Regina

flower_zpsuhvujhva.jpg

HMCS_Regina_K234_zpsxse2inwe.jpg

I think what is striking is the miscellany of colours, reality is often a lot less tidy than book illustrations.

I'm currently reading "The Battle of the Atlantic - The Corvettes and their Crews: An Oral history" which I highly recommend.  A fascinating account of life aboard these glorified trawlers.  What is notable is that the crew continuously painted the ships, largely it would seem by hand - No compressors!  The tidy schemes we modellers so love are contradicted by the photos above - just look at the camo demarcation - not very straight in the bottom pic!

I am fortunate that there are 3 excellent photos of HMS Crocus from 1942  depicting both sides.  The camo scheme on Crocus is principally notable for it's contrasting patterns from side to side which has previously caused confusion with some sources misidentifying Crocus on the basis of the starboard picture which had it's pennant number erased by wartime censors.  The original Imperial war museum provides the original image highlighting the "negative" pennant letter colouring.  It's unclear how common this practice was of different camo schemes per side.  For many Corvettes we only have single images of one side.

Scan0186_zpsfm8e9v5n.jpg

The first issue is what colour the background paint is.  Logically the choices are 507c Light grey and MS4 Light grey both in common use in 1942.  

The late and revered John  Lambert in "Warship Perspectives - Flower Class Corvettes in WW2" depicts Crocus like this (again failing to recognise the starboard side differed from port)

Scan0188_zpsh6pksyri.jpg

He suggests that the dark camouflage colour is 507A - Royal Navy dark grey though suggests MS4 as a background.  This is possible though the other contender is MS1 - a Blue black colour common on Disruptive schemes.  Examining the Port side....

HMS_Crocus_FL6073%20Edited%201_zps17u8jt

...several things are apparent.  The dark camouflage is in fact 2 different colours with the divide occurring amidships.  The stack is definitely a different colour from the hull and superstructure as is the 4" gun.

HMSCrocus%20Edited%201_zpsxf5kv84p.jpg

Similar variations in tones are evident on the starboard side.  The top of the funnel is a darker colour than the superstructure though is split about half way down to a lighter colour.  The aft 2 pdr platform is likely a different shade from the hull, the aft-most hull camo continues onto the superstructure; it's less clear in this pic as to whether the dark colours are 2 different shades.  The  dark bow streak continues backwards and includes the bridge support "lattice" and likely the Galley too.  

Studying Admiralty disruptive profles in Raven's book it's apparent that it was quite common to have the stack in a greeney grey MS4A.  These schemes typically mix MS1 and a lighter blue B5 with a background of MS4.  I've opted to portray Crocus in these colours, though it's entirely possible that she had a background of much lighter grey 507C wth Dark Grey 507A forward camo, with a lighter grey or blue rear shade.  All conjecture but hopefully distilled with some rational reasoning.  (Lawd - I miss the debates about Dunkelgelb:rolleyes:)

More soon, thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 4

So it's a go on the paint scheme using AKAN paints - available from Coastal Craft Models.  These paints deserve to be more well known.  They spray really well with a slightly satin finish and to my eye have very well matched colours.  

DSCF7468_zpstuwh35gq.jpg

The only single drawback fro me is that they come in little pots rather than dropper bottles.  I decant them into dropper bottles which I find makes diluting and mixing shades altogether easier.

DSCF7471_zps8s5t6gtl.jpg

DSCF7473_zpsuvdw791u.jpg

I have several good art shops locally and always wander around to see if there's any thing that would benefit modelling.  I found a "Jakarflex" flexible curve that I use to cut smooth curved lines in masking tape which makes the whole process a lot easier than doing freehand..

DSCF7481_zpso1w2puzg.jpg

DSCF7485_zps8fibzld8.jpg

DSCF7486_zpsqymeovmg.jpg

DSCF7482_zpsvjvy5bpd.jpg

DSCF7483_zpsh0uaqzri.jpg

Rob

• Like 7

Thanks for the tip with the flexible friendly line marker

I used the number 1 set in this paint range for my Vosper MTB 74 I liked them they layed down really great 

nice work so far looking forward to the next update 

cheers. Beefy

Edited by beefy66

I don't seem to be able to post more than 6 or 6 pics in a row?  Thus the breaks....

DSCF7493_zps19d1cmmr.jpg

I've used "MS2" for the deck which is lighter than 507A often used as a colour on Corvettes particularly earlier in the war.  I used Vallejo Model Air Medium Sea Grey : Light grey 4 ; 1 as Akan don't do MS2.  I opted for Green for the Semtex walkways...

DSCF7492_zpsuxr5g78o.jpg

Sadly I've not been able to paint the starboard camouflage as I ordered the wrong size letter masks from Mal at "Miracle masks" - Duhhh:blush:  some more are winging their way - once again - Big Thaks to Mal.

So I switched to the bridge.  Painting wood is never easy.  I used the technique suggested by TristanR  http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001404-u-991-172-type-viic-u-boat-revell/&page=4 and like him used Lifeclor paints as washes onto a wetted surface

DSCF7490_zpszy5xhwuu.jpg

And then onto the bow wood area...

DSCF7498_zpsdsazpodh.jpg

....aiming for a more washed out weathered look than the bridge

DSCF7499_zpsig2isrjy.jpg

The stack and the 4" gunshield receive "MS4A"

DSCF7494_zpsl39ffuu1.jpg

DSCF7496_zpsd71jy4nl.jpg

Planning ahead I opened the pack of 20mm guns from L'Arsenal.  I looked at the shields and tried to figure out how the supports would fit - the shields have holes cut where the supports should fit.  Either I'm missing something or there's a fault in the etch.  I emailed them over one week ago but have heard nothing back which is disapointing.  Save me from myself and let me know if I AM missing something

DSCF7466_zpsvtukrczt.jpg

The rest of the set is ace.  I'll need to cut some new shield from plasticard.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 6

I like the way you're going with this colour wise, looking good.

The timbers decks appear very realistic

L'Arsenal 20mm I seem to recall this being mentioned on Armourama/model shipwright but can't find the post now.

I agree  the way forward is plastic card shields.

Kev

Looking at the etch pic. study the bottom right support and the shield at the bottom next to it.

I would suggest a bend behind the ' branch' of the support upwards (to this viewpoint). to match the left hand support visible in the top pic with the two branches filling the gaps in the shield.

But plasticard might well look better with the branch supports splayed over the back.

Tom

ps

I've a copy of The Anatomy of the Ship: Flower class corvette 'Agassiz' if you think it'll help with anything I'm happy to have a look

Edited by Modelholic
added ps

On 10/14/2016 at 3:52 PM, rollsroyce said:

Hi Rob

Was really enjoying this but all pic seem to have gone?  Hope its just a glitch and they return...

Great work Cheers Guy

Hi Guy - No idea how that glitched out :unsure: Just pleased that they are back.

On 10/13/2016 at 8:07 PM, Modelholic said:

Looking at the etch pic. study the bottom right support and the shield at the bottom next to it.

I would suggest a bend behind the ' branch' of the support upwards (to this viewpoint). to match the left hand support visible in the top pic with the two branches filling the gaps in the shield.

But plasticard might well look better with the branch supports splayed over the back.

Tom

ps

I've a copy of The Anatomy of the Ship: Flower class corvette 'Agassiz' if you think it'll help with anything I'm happy to have a look

Thanks for the offer Tom - re the book - I have a copy which has been useful.

Thanks Kev, Model Monkey and da iawn "Bangor Lad" from a Swansea boy (originally).

I received an Email from Mélaine at L'Arsenal - it is a fault in the etch and he'll be sending a revised piece which is excellent service.  It would appear that Félicitations are in order - All the very best from me.

Mal Mayfield sent me a replacement mask in the correct size (My mistake:blush:) in record time - Huge Thanks and another shout out to Miracle Masks.  Work can resume.  

DSCF7500_zpsy4dcwozu.jpg

DSCF7501_zps6txtll5d.jpg

DSCF7502_zpshisucstb.jpg

DSCF7503_zpscgvztvge.jpg

DSCF7505_zpszt54zcm1.jpg

DSCF7506_zps5ty5tcye.jpg

DSCF7507_zpsxsq04r45.jpg

The Xtradecal decals laid painlessly.  The hull colour is Vallejo Model Air 71.056 formerly labelled as "Black Grey" though confusingly now labelled Dunkelgrau

I applied an AK deck wash to the......ummm....deck

DSCF7509_zpsy3mgjbxg.jpg

DSCF7504_zpsrdk1ro8e.jpg

I feel like I'm finally making some progress.

Thanks for looking

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
Update - iclude pics
  • Like 9

Loving this log.  Great work.  I personally have great success with the use of oils to get a wood effect.  Its very easy, just a lots of small dabs of about 3-4 different browns are applied, then a small bristle brush is used to drag the oil paint along the deck.  Can get a very convincing look IMO.

I really like what you have done with the lifeboat, some great inspiration for the plain vac form life boat on my Yawl project.

And thanks for the tip on the RN paint set, that will come in handy for my next couple of projects.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments Fellas.

Vents and "things" get planted.......

..DSCF7511_zpsi8g544i3.jpg

And work continues logically on the superstructure/bridge

DSCF7512_zpsh287f0za.jpg

DSCF7513_zpsbhjn13qe.jpg

DSCF7514_zps5vq9k0vv.jpg

DSCF7515_zpsm9zgqnpl.jpg

DSCF7516_zpslgdwngg2.jpg

DSCF7517_zpsrm2cg890.jpg

DSCF7518_zpshpnrjb3f.jpg

When I built the 4 window lattices I hadn't realised that there is a subtle slant on the kit piece:mellow:

DSCF7519_zpsgpcyk5ob.jpg

I'll know for next time but it means I had to build up the bottoms for them to fit the aperture - not ideal.

DSCF7520_zpsv5nbcrzp.jpg

DSCF7521_zpsf6rlcmxl.jpg

DSCF7522_zpsebbaect5.jpg

And let the record show that Mélaine @  L'Arsenal sent me an Email today to tell me that the replacement etch for the 20mm Oerlikons is in the post and that I get a 10% discount off next order.  Now that is Customer service.  Utter respectB)  You can't ask for more.  

Thanks for looking.

Rob

• Like 6