Revell Flower Class Corvette 1/144

Well this is my first blog here so please be gentle :winkgrin:

Someone had to be the first to blog this 1/144 offering from Revell, following on from their classic (Matchbox hand-me-down) offering in 1/72 scale.

For an excellent review of the model check out......

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235003570-hmcs-snowberry-flower-class-corvette-1144/

DSCF7374_edited-1_zpswtrc7fsr.jpg

The plan is to build an RN corvette HMS Crocus and thereafter HMS Clematis.

I'm waiting as I'm sure many are for aftermarket accessories to appear. Some elements in the Revell kit are a little crude and overscale - not least the ladders and weapons. I was pleased to hear that Mike McCabe of Starling models is collaborating with L'arsenal to produce a mixed media aftermarket set. Can't wait! As such this build will progress to hull and superstructure - and then stop to wait for detail parts.

So far I've acquired these...

DSCF7356_zpss2q710jw.jpg

I'll be using the usual Flower references.

DSCF7359_zpsaw0zt950.jpg

They are all very good. I managed to pick the"Warship Perspectives" relatively cheap as it's getting very hard to come by now. The "Shipcraft" volume is widely available and really is VERY good and should cover most needs. Ensign 3 is still coming up on E-bay relatively cheaply and is worth getting for the high quality ship images.

HMS Crocus was relatively unusual in having circa 1942-43, differing camo schemes from port to starboard

HMS_Crocus_FL6073_zpsikv0zca2.jpg

HMSCrocus_zpstuiwoczo.jpg

More on the colour scheme later.

Crocus had a number of number of differences from the model Revell depicts as Snowberry.

1) Raised 4" gun bandstand solid surround guard

2) Sloped 4" gun turret

3) x4 "boxes" in the superstructure supports (The kit has 3)

4) Round lattice "later" Radar 270 lantern

5) No Carley rafts or platforms at the midships "step"

Thankfully she had "Low" depth charge rails like Snowberry.

It's worth checking out Mark Hawkins site on Shapeways as he's already made the Quad vickers in 1/144 that I'll need for Clematis and has promised a Crocus type lantern with Spare Carley floats....

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/hawkins751511

On potential problem is that Crocus had the starboard pennant number in reversed colour, although it's been deliberately obscured on the pic above, it is present in the pic within "Ensign 3". Clematis also has "reversed" colours. An old Modeldecal sheet will provide the right sized Port pennant numbers

DSCF7357_zpsvh3fhmfh.jpg

I ordered a BECCs set of vinyl letters hoping that I could use the background as a mask -

DSCF7358_zpst690m0kg.jpg

But sadly they are too big :banghead:

The current plan is to place transfers on Tamiya masking tape and the cut around the letters so as to make a mask. If anyone else has any ideas??

So it 's an off with the build...The stand builds nicely and holds the hull securely

DSCF7352_zpscaztbnnk.jpg

The hull joined neatly

DSCF7354_zpsofabefp0.jpg

DSCF7355_zps4rpz7l2x.jpg

The transom needed a little filler

DSCF7360_zps8kuh9iyg.jpg

DSCF7365_zpsnlhga7g0.jpg

The aft deck sat and settled snugly

DSCF7361_zps9agx5cv9.jpg

As did the aft superstructure

DSCF7362_zps2vtkdymw.jpg

The aft structure roof needs some filler as there'll be no raft platforms (as per Snowberry)

DSCF7368_zpsg4jn2abm.jpg

And some dry fitting shows what's to come...

DSCF7369_zpsxoiqfs5u.jpg

DSCF7370_zpsdho0tbpx.jpg

Thanks for looking- it's nice to be finally blogging here after having looked in for so long :thumbsup:

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
  • Like 23

Nice progress there, this kit did grab my attention and I would love to get one but the time is not quite right yet. Will be looking forward to seeing the progress on this. It does look like an excellent kit. Don't forget the walkaround on the BM site

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987388-flower-class-corvette-hmcs-sackville/

That's the last surviving Flower class left, not sure of the differences between that and the Crocus but hopefully be of some use.

Keep up the great work

Bob

I've been thinking of this kit since it came out; not doing any in 1:144 ships yet but could start with this one. Anyway, good work so far, will be very interested to see how this goes throughout the building.

My dad had the Matchbox 1/72 kit, and for all of my childhood the hull sat, half-finished, in the spare room. As he never got to finish it, I've always had a hankering to build one myself as a sort of memorial, but the 1/72 kit is just too big. This, however...

So I'll be watching and hankering from the sidelines! It looks like a neat little model for someone with no experience of floaty-thing kits.

.............I would love to get one but the time is not quite right yet.

The problem with Revell kits is that they don't stay in production for long periods. Many a time I've seen a kit that I liked and said "it's always there but I'll get it later" <_< Then, suddenly it's gone :o and can't be obtained anywhere, :undecided: except at super inflated prices on the web. :doh:

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for looking in Fellas.

Progress slowed to a glacial pace due to the usual Summer distractions and the Olympics.

Know what you mean about kits going out of production Mike :weep:

That insecurity forced me to buy another :winkgrin:

Th first mistake was fitting the f'wd splinter shields supplied with the kit. Checking back with the original Crocus pics - it is apparent that Snowberry had a slightly atypical arrangement with a large gap and a a set of bollards behind. Most of the RN corvettes had no bollards and a solid splinter shield

DSCF7375_zps4r4rdvbf.jpg

DSCF7376_zpstyhczsvj.jpg

Thankfully Tamiya extra thin cement - "melts" the bond and I was able to lift the offending piece.

I needed to whittle the deck fittings down fill some locating depressions and re-scribe the deck

DSCF7388_zpsrp0ewpds.jpg

There'll be more mistakes. I'll fashion some replacement shield from Plasticard.

On the subject of scribing - the kit supplies the bridge without scribed planking. Whilst some ships may have had solid most original pics show wooden planks.

It seemed worth the effort

DSCF7378_zpsrbs8vvjn.jpg

And here's the comparison....

DSCF7377_zpshj0t4bdc.jpg

This build is going to be pretty disorganised and I'm really conscious that I can only take it so far without some aftermarket pieces - particularly regarding the railings which are hopelessly oversized. I tried filing some down closer to scale but it really was a waste of time. The ladders need a lot of filing. These are the 4" gun platform ladders - filed on the left

DSCF7406_zpsxtv3nmhj.jpg

The gun platform shield on Crocus was unusual in being solid........

DSCF7380_zpszuzepbyp.jpg

DSCF7381_zpsjcxulgns.jpg

I did some work on the 4" gun shield mindful of the superb effort Kev (Longshanks) did (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998398-4-inch-mark-ix-breech-loading-gun-on-cp-mark-i-mounting/)

DSCF7407_zpsxke01dwi.jpg

DSCF7384_zpskprmrm1d.jpg

The gun is acceptable with the barrel drilled out. I filed the front of the shield down to replicate an RN corvette (The Canadian corvettes generally had "square" shields). I used Archer Surface detail decals to represent the rivets and have used "punched out" plasticard to mount hand rails.

Crocus had atypical Carley float rails and these were made up from Plastruct pieces...

DSCF7389_zpsth3dhacx.jpg

Plastruct is also needed to build the bridge supports. Snowberry had 3 squares - Crocus had 4 - I'm half way through ...

DSCF7379_zpsvwm4xbuk.jpg

And a completely random manner - the wheelhouse was built......

DSCF7387_zps88g1my7y.jpg

Dry fitting the superstructure gets us to this.....

DSCF7391_zpszbazej6i.jpg

Archer surface detail decals are being used to Pimp up the stack...

DSCF7392_zps1yzk4eo1.jpg

The 16 ft dinghies which are a prominent feature on corvettes are particularly poorly done. They come with moulded smooth hulls whereas in reality they were clinker built. The only practical solution seemed to be to use Tamiya masking tape to replicate the clinker build. I'll seal this with "Klear" before painting. It seem to be an effective solution. The internal dinghy seating is very simplified and represents an alternative arrangement to most of the 16 ft dinghies though looking closely at Snowberry pics these might be right for her alone.

DSCF7393_zpskm4nxsxn.jpg

DSCF7394_zpsyusmuerh.jpg

DSCF7395_zpsrb3b73qp.jpg

So to end this rather chaotic update - I'm delighted to have received some pieces from Mark Hawkings on Shapeways.

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/hawkins751511

If you going for a Corvette build you'll be needing some of his work

DSCF7396_zpsmdqal1xv.jpg

The frosted resin doesn't photograph well but close up in reality the detail is just astonishing. The Quad Vickers is just amazing (HMS Clematis build)

The type 271 Radar housing is the multiple (lattice) pane one which by far the most frequently seen in pictures. Snowberry uses the early hexagonal version. The rails are slightly on the thick side and clearly represent the limits of 3D moulding currently but I can live with this.

DSCF7398_zpsojnpf1oo.jpg

DSCF7399_zpsmhtmtb99.jpg

DSCF7402_zpstjc6e1n7.jpg

The Carley float is wonderful and leaves the kit version so far behind - it's hard to imagine using them - here's the comparison....

DSCF7403_zpsi6cgo919.jpg

There is a sligh size difference but Carley floats came in variety of sizes. I took advantage of free shipping from Shapeways at the W/E and ordered more - the only downside is that they are over £7 a throw.

And just as an aside Mark also does 1/72 offerings and here's a beautiful Oerlikon offering, destined to be used on a BPB MGB build...

DSCF7404_zpsvkuvjs0t.jpg

I'll soon reach a limit for this build until Mike McCabe releases his promised update set in collaboration with L'Arsenal. it will take this kit to new heights - Can't wait.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 9

Following this one closely, I only found out about the new 1/144 version last week and have put in my birthday request with Mrs Jockster!

Nice progress so far!

Looking at your photos, I have the impression that the large deck pieces fit snugly to the hull pieces, would I be right in thinking that?

I am building one converted to radio control and the deck fit is excellent - the quarterdeck fit is so good that I haven't needed to glue it in as it can be clipped in place and pulled out again to gain access.

Rob,

I found that getting the open bridge deck (part D104) to match up with the lower wheelhouse and the other bits like the support for the 271 office (part D90) very fiddly indeed if everything is to match up without big gaps. If you haven't already, you might want to check this out before gluing any more of this part of the model together.

Cor thought we'd lost you Rob but worth the wait for the update.

I agree with you the bridge needs to be planked

Cracking job with the shield. I gather the Archer rivets are on a carrier, is this going to show after painting? They certainly look the bis !

Neat idea for lifting rail, blooming site easier than soldering.

Are you going to detail the wheelhouse interior?

The planking on the dinghy's is inspired.

This is going to be a good build with all this lateral thinking........

Kev

Hi Rob

This is a great build and thanks for sharing the tip on the small boats planking. Genius, Like others have often thought about the 1/72 Corvette but put off by the size. This looks like a great option.

Cheers

Guy

• Like 1

Aaah, brilliant trick with the fake wooden panels on the boats! :)

Looking at your photos, I have the impression that the large deck pieces fit snugly to the hull pieces, would I be right in thinking that?

Hi Housesparrow, you are spot on - fit between deck and hull is very snug - elsewhere it's good though some of the sprue gates are a bit clumsy.

I am building one converted to radio control and the deck fit is excellent - the quarterdeck fit is so good that I haven't needed to glue it in as it can be clipped in place and pulled out again to gain access.

Rob,

I found that getting the open bridge deck (part D104) to match up with the lower wheelhouse and the other bits like the support for the 271 office (part D90) very fiddly indeed if everything is to match up without big gaps. If you haven't already, you might want to check this out before gluing any more of this part of the model together.

Thanks Francis, mine fits OK though I was careful to "mate" the deck house with part D104 as the wheelhouse sides set. I'm planning on building the superstructure off the model.

Great spot on Hannants BTW - I hadn't seen that. It will be interesting to compare Eduard with Starling/L'Arsenal. I'm planning to build HMS Bluebell (mid period) and Clematis sooner or later so there will be plenty of opportunity to sample the wares.

@ Kev, Guy & Steve - Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

Cor thought we'd lost you Rob but worth the wait for the update.

I agree with you the bridge needs to be planked

Cracking job with the shield. I gather the Archer rivets are on a carrier, is this going to show after painting? They certainly look the bis !

Neat idea for lifting rail, blooming site easier than soldering.

Are you going to detail the wheelhouse interior?

The planking on the dinghy's is inspired.

This is going to be a good build with all this lateral thinking........

Kev

Kev - good point about the Archer carrier film. It sits well - we'll see at the primer stage.

As to the wheelhouse interior - it's really pretty hidden though I did find some pics of Sackville's. The external bits are taking long enough - I don't have your patience!

I built the rear 2 pounder platform which sits on 6 stilts. It could have gone wrong but didn't. Every piece needs quite a fair amount of clean up with tiny mould lines everywhere.

The ladders are oversized and I tried filing them down but in the end decided building new ones was slightly quicker

DSCF7408_zpsjtbz8mn8.jpg

DSCF7415_zpsjvt31otg.jpg

I also pressed on with the Bridge...

DSCF7409_zpsqvzlcqsz.jpg

Fit needed a bit of work to get it squared off...

DSCF7413_zpsaw4zw5vo.jpg

I also fitted the foward splinter shields

DSCF7416_zpscjssstmb.jpg

And fitted the gun assembly to the shield

DSCF7417_zpsisiu62fv.jpg

DSCF7418_zps1qeusy85.jpg

The bridge is beginning to take shape and I'm now getting really frustrated about not having any after-market accessories

The rear depth charge rails need quite a bit of clean up and I suspect will form part of the AM sets. Actually I'm going to live with plastic offering on this particular build. The rails and depth charges will need painting before final assembly. The depth charges themselves were Not a perfect fit and needed filling

DSCF7421_zpsnge5aijp.jpg

DSCF7422_zpsfxerullw.jpg

And in between all these bits I continue with the lattice supports which in truth are a tiny bit tedious

DSCF7424_zpsucafs3vd.jpg

And the of course there's the boats.......... :banghead:

DSCF7412_zpstk9ahh9t.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Rob

• Like 14