737-500 Conversion

DrewP

Hello, everyone! In preparation for the upcoming Airliner Group Build, I've been going over several options of builds I could do. I have DACO's beautiful 737-500, but I strongly dislike the Baltic decals it comes with. Instead of buying a completely new kit and two sets of decals (one for the -500, one for the -300) I want to convert the -500 to a -300. I'm 99% sure it's just a matter of extending the fuselage maybe 1 or 2 windows, but would anyone have exact measurements as to what needs to be added fore and aft? I'm thinking of doing it with Helios Airways 5B-DBY. The demise of that aircraft has transfixed me after watching an episode of Air Crash Investigation. It's one of the most interesting episodes I've seen and the Helios livery is one of my favorites on a -300. There's a set from Boa for the -800 that shouldn't be too much of a hassle to modify, especially with the detail set from DACO doing most of the extras. Sorry, I have a habit of going into extreme detail and I don't know when to stop :shutup: All help is greatly appreciated. Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with in the upcoming months. Happy modelling to you all!

All the best,

Drew

Edit: "demise" is a bit of a depressing word. I meant to say that the circumstances surrounding it are rather interesting. The death of a plane and the people on board is never something I want to be happy about :(

Edited by DrewP

Hi Drew

737-500 fuselage length = 29.79m, 737-300 = 32.18m, difference is +2.39m of which +1.38m is ahead of the wing, +1.01m aft.

At 144 scale you would need to add 9.5mm ahead of the wing and 7mm aft.

If you want to get all the data yourself you can download the 737 planning manual from Boeing's website http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/acaps/737.pdf

Hope this helps

Tim

Thanks, Tim! And thank you for the Boeing page. I'm not the brightest person so it didn't occur to me to look there.... Thanks anyway!

All the best,

Drew

Edited by DrewP

Drew,

Let me just say: :hypnotised:

Then let me add: have fun with your project.

Here, apparently, the areas where you need to execute the cuts - I don't vouch for the 10.5 mm ahead of the wing, this is just to back up the general arrangement.

a4-143.jpg

http://www.findmodelkit.com/sites/default/files/a4-143.jpg

Cheers,

Niki

Edited by niki
  • Like 1