1/24 Revell VW Golf GTi Mk. 1

G'day people,

I don't normally build vehicles and when I do, they normally only come with two wheels, but I was tempted recently by Revell's pretty little Mk.1 Golf GTi. I have been fiddling with this in-between other kits whilst waiting for glue, putty and paint to dry. I have been assembling out of sequence to the destructions mainly for convenience, instead I am working on sub assemblies.

First up, the donk

DSCN2940_zpswfncwhcv.jpg

DSCN2941_zpszzvl9hxs.jpg

DSCN2942_zpsepzmohlg.jpg

The fit of the parts was okay, but certainly not to the standard of the big "T".

Meanwhile the body needs some attention. The kit provides both "British" and "European" options i.e. left and right hand drive (LHD/RHD) respectively. To build a LHD option, you need to open up a pair of flashed over holes for the windscreen wipers. There are also other differences called out in the destructions. Unfortunately, the RHD version's windscreen wiper locating holes are already open and require filling. I used a couple of bits of stretched sprue sourced from the kit sprues.

DSCN2937_zpsfla1bnid.jpg

DSCN2938_zpsjqv3wlkz.jpg

Apart from being cheap, the sprue plugs will sand at the same consistency as the kit body plastic, making for an effortless plug job. I have assembled and painted the radiator and oil cooler assembly

DSCN2958_zpsj2odersh.jpg

DSCN2957_zpsnypnowo9.jpg

This was added to the engine bay which has also had some other accessories added

DSCN3034_zps8uou27bj.jpg

DSCN3035_zpsyk9pas3q.jpg

DSCN3037_zpsylm7q51y.jpg

The battery decals really make the battery pop,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

I've been hoping for a WIP of one of these for a while. I keep being tempted to get one or 3 ;) haha.

Renaissance do phase 2 and 3 conversions plus then there's the cabrio. Oh joys another group build haha.

Looking forward to this.

Ashley

G'day people,

Thanks for the interest.

I have also worked on the front dash. The kit supplies both a LHD and RHD dash, you just need to add the steering column. The only issue I had here was the unsightly void beneath the steering column and what I think is the brake booster unit?

DSCN2956_zpss120ur9f.jpg

I filled these in with some epoxy putty and sanded to shape. This is what the dash looks like with paint and decals (at least mine anyway!)

DSCN3142_zpsjovv5aal.jpg

DSCN3143_zpsb4xfawqs.jpg

DSCN3144_zpswobjehmo.jpg

I also had a crack at painting up the 'zorsts

DSCN3138_zpsglhj0pcr.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 6

You not going for the 2.5" straight through with a 4-2-1 mani? ;)

Seriously thought it's all looking good. The dash looks superb.

Ashley

G'day Ashley,

I know that you wrote that in English but I didn't really understand much of it (I'm a jet guy)

Thanks very much though.

That dashboard looks just like my one! Excellent work Pappy

High praise indeed! Thanks dubster

Thanks gents, I really appreciate all the encouragement.

I managed to get the engine bay finished today,

DSCN3228_zpskfvstuzp.jpg

DSCN3227_zpsmlddfjmh.jpg

I have kept the detailing very simple, just drilling the dizzy and adding the plug wires. I have also painted the lower chassis

DSCN3140_zpspwzbmara.jpg

and then added the suspension components

DSCN3141_zpstfydlfp9.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5

2.5" = Diameter of the pipe.

Straight Through = No silencers. No power restrictions ;)

4-2-1 Mani = Exhaust Manifold that reduces from 4 inputs, to 2 and then to 1 for the downpipe to attach. Looking at the stock system on the kit the Manifold looks to be a 4-2 with a 2-1 downpipe. Pretty much the same principle.

Youve basically sold one of these to me the next time I see one for a deal price lol.

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing

Really neat work on the engine & exhaust Pappy, particularly like the finish on the latter, looks like it's just driven out from Kwik Fit (other UK exhaust centres are available!)

Youve basically sold one of these to me the next time I see one for a deal price lol.

Ashley

How about this Ashley;

http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/revell-vw-golf-1-gti-car-model-kit-07072/

With another 15% off today only!

They've got the cab. for the same price too;

http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/revell-vw-golf-1-cabriolet-car-model-kit-07071/

Chuck in some paint or something to get over £30 & it's post free as well! (I should say I have no connection with Jadlam other than letting them take far too much money off me!)

Keith

How about this Ashley;

http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/revell-vw-golf-1-gti-car-model-kit-07072/

With another 15% off today only!

They've got the cab. for the same price too;

http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/revell-vw-golf-1-cabriolet-car-model-kit-07071/

Chuck in some paint or something to get over £30 & it's post free as well! (I should say I have no connection with Jadlam other than letting them take far too much money off me!)

Keith

Nooooo!!!! Keith I'm holding you fully responsible for my poor old Bank balance this month :(lol.

Ashley

• Like 1

Thanks fellas,

The interior door panels were painted up today

DSCN3226_zpsl37leukc.jpg

I am in the middle of painting up the interior. The biggest issue I have had with the interior was filling and sanding the front seats. These come in two halves, a front section and a back plate. the fit is okay but I used some filler in quite a few spots.

More pics tomozz

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2

Nice progress coming together well!

Roger

As a guy who used to work on the real thing for a living, your trim work is exceptional. :goodjob:

Thanks very much gents, I really appreciate your comments. I don't really build cars, and I think this is really about the third civilian vehicle I have ever built, being mostly a jet guy.

I have finished up the interior, which went together very quickly as it is mainly one colour - black!

DSCN3234_zpscjllhhak.jpg

DSCN3235_zps2m95ik6u.jpg

It is actually about four shades of black and varies between matt and semi gloss in order to create some visual interest.

DSCN3233_zps2njktlyt.jpg

DSCN3232_zpsoqps0ode.jpg

DSCN3231_zpsfghyh1qm.jpg

DSCN3230_zps8mcot8or.jpg

The Revell colour call-outs are practically meaningless (to me) as I mostly use Gunze and Tamiya colours.

The tartan seat cover decals are very nice but I found they did did not really respond well to the usual decal softeners and I resorted to using a hair dryer on the lowest setting to help the decals conform. The rear seat headrests were the worst culprits but they eventually behaved

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5

Strange that you've had problems with Revell's decals conforming. I've never had that issue with them. Out of interest do you use cold, warm or hot water to soak them?

The interior is looking great though. I have one in the post atm and am following with intent now haha.

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing

That's a really lovely interior Pappy, showroom fresh - I can almost get that new car smell!

I have one in the post atm and am following with intent now haha.

Ashley

Ooops, hope that wasn't my fault Ashley...!! :P:D

Keith

Strange that you've had problems with Revell's decals conforming. I've never had that issue with them. Out of interest do you use cold, warm or hot water to soak them?

The interior is looking great though. I have one in the post atm and am following with intent now haha.

Ashley

G'day Ashley,

I use tepid water, I do not wish to burn my fingeez!

cheers,

Pappy

Morning Pappy.

I always use hot water and tweezers so I don't burn my fingers ;)lol.

My experience is that heat is what helps decals to conform. Then I use Microsol or equivalent to aid getting into creases or over sharpe edges without tearing the decal.

Ashley

Morning Pappy.

I always use hot water and tweezers so I don't burn my fingers ;)lol.

My experience is that heat is what helps decals to conform. Then I use Microsol or equivalent to aid getting into creases or over sharpe edges without tearing the decal.

Ashley

G'day Ashley,

I'll try and remember that tip for next time. It is winter down here, that may be a factor as well.

G'day people,

A small setback today. I have assembled the body shell and cleaned up the mould seams so I decided tat a dry fit would be in order to seen if there would be any major issues when the time came for the final assembly. The problem is that I was so busy gluing bits of the body shell together that I failed to realise that the front and rear lower sections of the body shell need to be glued after the engine bay, cabin and lower chassis have been inserted!

DSCN3238_zpslpmi7j7n.jpg

DSCN3239_zpsyhnrrmcj.jpg

I can get the cabin in but I cannot get the engine bay/chassis in. The culprit seems to be the trough under the bonnet rain removal slots

DSCN3240_zpsoivrun1l.jpg

This prevents the lower chassis slipping in. If I put the engine bay/chassis in, the rear parcel shelf prevents the cabin going in. I was feeling well and truly snookered so I decided to work the grille and fenders instead

DSCN3236_zpsmfener2h.jpg

The eagle eyed will have spotted that my GTi decal for the grill has a damaged "G". This happened while setting up for the photo, despite being dry and sealed, some days it pays to stay in bed :badmood:

I think I will set this build aside for a while and do something else :weep:

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

It's times like these that truly test us.

The GTI badge could be painted could it not? Not sure what to suggest for the shell vs engine bay though. I was wondering if you could get away with glueing the panels on before but looks like that's been answered :(

Ashley