Eastern Express 737-300 - The adventure has stalled.

POTKC

Now comes my least favorite part of any build - as Ray puts it, the putty fest has begun. I puttied all over the fuselage seam, practically filled the area where the (modified) gear bay cover is installed with putty, and also applied some around the winglets and along the leading edge of the wing. The trailing edge was so terribly non-thin that no amount of sanding could rectify the issue short of sanding straight through the plastic, so I left it was it was before I glued the wing halves together, and now I have no way to fix it. Oh well. What I forgot to mention is that I am terrible at puttying, and all I had available to me was some two-year-old Tamiya white putty, so its pretty messy. Oh well (again). Have I already said that I hate puttying? Well here are the (horrific) images:

yXZjwPx.jpg

qt5ozuB.jpg

I also did just a tad more puttying after these photos were taken. Now onto the less painful bit of this update:

The decals come with two application options. You can either apply the entire green surface and 'Air Baltic' titling onto the tail and winglets as single decals, or paint the aforementioned surfaces green and apply the titling as a standalone decal. Both options are provided on the sheet. I would prefer to choose the second one, since applying large decals and having wing leading edge decals break up on me etcetera during my Air Berlin 737 build caused a whole week of sleepless nights and the nightmares still haunt me to this day. Masking the tail and winglets off and airbrushing them just seems like the much better, easier, and neater option. However, the recommended paint to use is not given on the sheet. I have been able to discern that the hex code of the needed color is CDDC11, however I have been unable to convert this to a Federal Standard 595 code or a paint number from any modeling company. The closest RAL value I could find is 1016, although that is too yellow. Could anyone help me solve this issue, or at least direct me to a resource which could?

• Like 3

nice progress and I share your dislike of puttying. I don't think anyone likes it really

In relation to the yellow, could you not mix some white into RAL Yellow (Gunze)? - that would look close (judging only on the photo in your banner)

• Like 1

oh - looks yellow in your picture..no biggy. You could try Tamiya Park Green (or any type of khaki green maybe) and add some yellow to it until you find the shade?

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 1

Some fine filling work going on there :thumbsup2:! I make many kits by Eastern European manufacturers (Roden, Amodel, Eastern Express, Avis....) and I'm sure all these companies get commission from global sales of putty!

It's taking shape nicely, the winglets look great and that's a good solution to the wheel well surrounds.

Good luck with the sanding and filling; put some nice music on, take it steady and it will look great in the end :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished the first round of sanding and puttied up some imperfections two days ago, however due a fever have not done anything more since then. The moment I get better it will be engine assembly time, then more sanding, puttying, sanding, etcetera, until the wings are attached to the fuselage and ready for priming.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Since the GB is officially over, I won't be able to finish this before the end. The inspiration-killer of a kit really does that to you. I guess I'll just have to keep going outside the GB.

EDIT: Just realized there's still a whole month left. Never mind!

Edited by POTKC
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK, I guess the EE 737 wins this round. Didn't get much done since last month due to, again, my complete lack of motivation to deal with this thing. I'd be grateful if someone could move this into the WIP section...or perhaps I'll start a new thread there once I get back to this. Thanks to Ray and Enzo for organizing this and to everyone else for participating. For now, I'm just going to set this build aside, start a new one, and stay away from EE for a bit.

• Like 1

I'd missed the last posts whilst taking far too long to find my own build thread somewhere in the darkness of page 4. I'd like to offer Allexander as much encouragement as possible to stick with the build, you'd made good progress, its really not that bad, etc, But it is, because I've been there, And am still there.......

Jon