Mixing acrylic and enamel paints

GordonD

No, I don't mean to get a new shade. And I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't have time to search through ninety pages of old posts.

Yesterday I was in my LHS (no, just paint, but thanks for asking) and I overheard one of the assistants on the phone telling somebody that applying acrylic paint on top of enamel was fine, but if you try to apply enamel over acrylic it will lift the acrylic. Is that true?

I think the answer to that is that it depends.

I've put enamel over Humbrol and Vallejo acrylic before now without mishap but then tectonic plates move faster than I do so the bottom layer has well and truly cured.

John.

I routinely brush Polly Scale/Aeromaster/Testors acrylic over matt Humbrol undercoat, and never had any problems.

Rather to my surprise it also works the other way round, even for large areas (e.g second colour of camouflage) not just detail or touch-up.

But -

1. I always wash my models before construction to get the release agent off, except for one or two manufacturers who don't seem to have this problem.

2. I always prefer to use a matt Humbrol undercoat anyway, to get a good surface and no worries about acrylic/plastic contact. I wouldn't like to use acrylic direct on plastic and then overpaint with enamel too often - it has worked for me but ...

3. That mayn't apply to other makes. I wouldn't risk enamel over Tamiya acrylic - it lifted for me even when I used Aeromaster on top, giving a result like the tectonic plates on Iapetus ...

Edited by Lothian man

No, I don't mean to get a new shade. And I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't have time to search through ninety pages of old posts.

Yesterday I was in my LHS (no, just paint, but thanks for asking) and I overheard one of the assistants on the phone telling somebody that applying acrylic paint on top of enamel was fine, but if you try to apply enamel over acrylic it will lift the acrylic. Is that true?

Its nonsense.

I brush paint either over the other.

Never had a problem in all the years I've been doing it.

Quite often on a camouflage scheme I use enamel first coat, second coat same colour in acrylic, then the disruptive colour in enamel and then a second coat of it in acrylic.

• Like 1

Its nonsense.

I brush paint either over the other.

Never had a problem in all the years I've been doing it.

Quite often on a camouflage scheme I use enamel first coat, second coat same colour in acrylic, then the disruptive colour in enamel and then a second coat of it in acrylic.

I think it's more of an issue when airbrushing. Certainly I've never had a problem when brush painting Tamiya acrylics over other acrylics (or vice-versa) but many times have had problems when using the airbrush.

Yep, in my experience brush painting with the two types doesn't cause an issue. I've tried both Revell and Humbrol acrylics over Humbrol enamel and vice versa and had no ill effects - so far anyway!

As for spraying, I only use rattlecans. So far, enamel over acrylic seems to be fine, but acrylic over enamel is a no-no.

Mike. :)

Thanks for all of those replies. I only use rattlecans or hairy sticks so if it's only airbrushing that will cause a problem it sounds like I'll be okay.

I should add that this isn't something I'm planning on doing any time soon; it was just curiosity after overhearing the guy in Wonderland.

It all depends on the paint and solvents used. E.g. Testers enamel used over Humbrol enamel lifted the underlying paint when brush painted, as something in the Testors affected the Humbrol.

I suspect enamel over Humbrol acrylic would be fine, over Tamiya maybe not as it has a different solvent.

• 2 weeks later...

I've airbrushed each over either using most brands and have only had a problem when the under coat wasn't actually dry (not a huge problem if sticking to similar types of paints).

Rattle cans often contain xylene or similar ultra-aggressive components which lifts or wrinkles many things though. I avoid rattle cans like the plague!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Humbrol and Revell enamels seem to be compatible when brushed and will go on over water-based and alcohol-based acrylics in my experience. However, when airbrushed, water-based acrylics will 'craze' when used over either enamels or alcohol-based acrylics. Alcohol-based will go over water-based. I've actually stopped using water-based acrylics because of these problems and their tendency to clog the airbrush. I can't tell you what happens when they are brush-painted though.