Fw190 D-9, 1/24 Trumpeter

She builds up real nice. Watch for the curved hinges on the cowl, easily fixed, as well as the curved panels on the wing upper surface , easily fixed as well. Grey Matters offers some detail sets. The Verlinden cockpit set is a good addition as well. If you can find them Waldron made a set of metal rudder pedals that are nice. Eduard has some detail sets for guages and placards as well.Engine detail is cool as well, I did drill out every bolt head as they are d epicted as round , replacing with Grandt Line accy. The landing gear is problematic due to the plastic used , can be replaced with resin or w/m I think. I have a mask set produced for this kit , markings , spinner etc , pm if you would like a set.

final15.jpg

Here is alink to my effort:http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=48494

A great kit , you'll have fun.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Krow113 your 190 looks amazing, but I am not in your league :) as you will soon notice :)

I have already ordered mask and seatbelts and I probably need the landing gear in metal.

I am doing the red 18

MXK24033.jpg

engine and cockpit mostly finished

the seat is marked all rlm 66, I thought it had brown leather cushion ?

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m4.jpg

m3.jpg

m6.jpg

m5.jpg

m7.jpg

m8.jpg

• Like 4

Nice, you can definitely paint the cushion a dark reddish brown, the seat metal itself was RLM 66. Just a point if I may, the ammo boxes behind the engine and the engine supports were RLM02. It will look good as they're especially visible with the open undercarriage bays.

Good spot Ruari I didn't see the ammo boxes they look like they were moulded to the cockpit tub? Strange idea? The top ip must form part of the firewall. Just picked up in a book the sometimes a dinghy was stored where the seat cusion went but I have no photo to prove it.

Interesting. This kit/thread peaked my interest into the otherwise too-large-kits category of 1:24'th scale. :) Maybe because I now feel confident that I can airbrush a model, and larger models seems perhaps even easier to airbrush.

Nice, you can definitely paint the cushion a dark reddish brown, the seat metal itself was RLM 66. Just a point if I may, the ammo boxes behind the engine and the engine supports were RLM02. It will look good as they're especially visible with the open undercarriage bays.

thanks all for comments and info

Parabat would you paint part D1+D6+D5+D2+C12 and D20+D27 all RLM02 ?

123456.jpg

1234.jpg

I'm not Parabat but yes I would :-)

Elm 66 was in most cases reserved for cockpits with 02 for the rest ad the airframe components so engine bearers ammunition boxes and firewalls would be 02 in some cases towards the end of the war they maybe bare metal but not commonly so check your references. It looked like it was a one piece cockpit tub and firewall thanks for showing the pics

Some cockpit placards would look cool in a pit of this size and even in 1/32 add a lot of intrest for little cost . By the way love your choice of entry and will be following closely .

alistair

Pabbi, yes, as Dazdot has replied, all the parts you mention should be RLM02, cockpit and cockpit decking, canopy internals are RLM66. Wheel wells, undercarriage legs and bays are RLM 02 as well.

Going well.

Study the pix and read the text of the link I sent you.

Many of the kits pitfalls and details are recorded there , as well as the fix's for them.

You can decide what colors and extra detail you want to add , remember ; parts were coming from different manufacturers at the late war stage , colors etc were greatly varied and not always to specification.

There are a ton of extra details that can be enhanced or added to the exterior airframe, ie: the fuel tank inspection panel under the rear was made of plywood and stands out from the airframe skin.

Wing gun panel detail is needed as well, plenty of pix in the link.

I just went over the whole set of pics of my effort , over 500 , and remembered how much fun went into the research and extra detailing.

I wont clog your blog with any pix , but lemme know if you want to see something in particular.

• Like 1