1/72 RAAF C-47 Dakota - ARDU Project Ingara conversion ***FINISHED***

I've made my last few kits straight of the box, so time for something a little more challenging.

I picked this up last September from a local scale model expo, I think it cost me ~$5:

0E040757-DE04-478C-BBB2-2D9D6EF52ABF_zps

Inside some very dark green plastic:

FAD4DA5A-D4A7-4FA9-91B1-CDAE68912A7B_zps

7D271430-B900-45C9-9E34-C3B80280D553_zps

Transparencies have a bit of flash on them:

28D7F563-9999-43CA-8A9B-F6882C5720ED_zps

Gruesome decals:

748FBA19-9F0E-4B1C-A268-F5A075FA9496_zps

Old fashioned instruction sheet, on what appears to be very low quality recycled paper:

6CE1E075-7B3E-4582-81D0-26019703F323_zps

So far, nothing special.

However, I also picked up this:

D17B8E9C-1D7F-4622-B446-13965FF103E2_zps

The conversion parts:

B510142B-0278-4F02-926E-A766694E4C64_zps

A length of wire seems to be missing, but that should be easy enough to replace.

Decals look great:

D74329BB-EE72-4757-A8A0-848EF27047E8_zps

Very complete and informative instructions.

0FB7BB69-5956-4C03-AADB-0DA232663856_zps

I can't seem to find any built up examples of this on my quick scan through the forums, or on the web, so any advice would be welcomed!

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 6

Simon,

You are the first I have seen attempt this conversion, even on the Aussie Forums I frequent I have only seen the announcement post for its release.

Good luck with the build, from the conversion parts count it does not too difficult.

:popcorn:

Thanks Ray - yes I was surprised to see no attempt anywhere considering the apparent simplicity of the conversion. As far as I can see, I can essentially build the model and then add the conversion parts at the end. I won't be trying to do anything clever with the inside of the cabin. My first consideration - what colour to do the cockpit?

Yep - but I also found images that show quite bright green and also grey-green when I did the ol'google search. Having said that, from what I have read about this Italeri kit you can't actually see much inside the cockpit (or main cabin). I think I may settle for grey-green and some tape seat belts and be done with it :-) As for the main cabin, I am seriously contemplating leaving it unpainted as the dark green plastic lends itself to that.

Yep - but I also found images that show quite bright green and also grey-green when I did the ol'google search. Having said that, from what I have read about this Italeri kit you can't actually see much inside the cockpit (or main cabin). I think I may settle for grey-green and some tape seat belts and be done with it :-) As for the main cabin, I am seriously contemplating leaving it unpainted as the dark green plastic lends itself to that.

Simon, the image I posted is of RAAF Dakota A65-95, if you look closely at the centre of the instrument panel you will see the tail number on a dymo tape label :D

• Like 1

Well, couldn't wait to get started, so got going with sticking stuff together already.

Cockpit is very simple, with just really be seats fitted on to the floor of cabin, along with the bulkheads. Steering columns were surprisingly delicate and fiddly to fix, being made up of two separate parts each. Also in shot the rear cabin cargo door, which was made up of two separate parts.

11F35B68-EE5D-4330-A85E-C34B8B11CA0C_zps

Now for the cabin windows, which are made up of strips of windows inserted from the inside of the fuselage. Care needs to be taken here as each set of windows only fit in one position. I dropped them into place and then carefully ran small amounts of Tamiya thin cement around the edges, allowing capillary action to do the rest.

9D98D557-DDBE-4F0C-96F9-6B3C4497AB86_zps

The transparencies fit really well, and as suspected when held the fuselage halves together you can't see much inside the main cabin so I think I will take the quick way out of not painting the cabin.

A348191A-D999-46CF-AACE-D61CC50F6DEA_zps

B9A2ACD4-01E2-45AB-88DB-BBE3C04EBAF0_zps

Will be a bit of fun masking these, at least they are a simple shape.

• Like 1

Simon, the image I posted is of RAAF Dakota A65-95, if you look closely at the centre of the instrument panel you will see the tail number on a dymo tape label :D

I saw that! The very green one is actually at the South Australia Aviation Museum: http://www.saam.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/c47a1.jpg

But I am guessing that if A65-86 was being used as late as 1992 it would be more likely to have a grey cockpit?

• Like 1

Hope I don't disappoint Mark :-)

Exhausts are moulded solid, so some work with a pin-vice and model knife will soon fix that.

E8078FC1-2543-41FA-B68F-FB3BBCC40C7B_zps

The wings and tailplanes went together nicely, and then I tried a dry fit of all the main components with the cockpit parts inside. Despite being an older kit, it looks like it will go together relatively simply with only minor need for filler. This exercise also confirmed that precious little of the cockpit or cabin can be seen, and also it is quite a big aircraft!

D96352E2-A273-46E9-A4DE-15BF7604D514_zps

• Like 4

Ah-ha! Should have the read the instructions better. Guidance is given on cockpit colours for RAAF Dakotas, they were painted UV neutral Cockpit Green. I have some cockpit interior green that will do at a pinch, it's not really appropriate but again, not much can be seen through the windscreen!

You can't beat the old Dak for a classic aircraft and for $5 the kit was a steal. There's still one flying out of the Chatham Islands off the coast of New Zealand here that I took a flight in last year, during Wings over Wairarapa. Beautiful plan, noisy but nostalgic

• Like 1

Like a dak, I would like to build Montgomery's one but missed out on the transfer sheet and can't find another.

Really like your scheme choice, looking forward to how it turns out.

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks for all the support and comments :-)

Finished off the cockpit by adding some Tamiya tape seatbelts. Having read about a bit, it appears the attaching the windscreen can be a bit tricky after sealing up the fuselage, so I carefully glued it into one side of the fuselage by running Tamiya thin cement carefully around the edges.

24DC26BB-AEE2-4216-9B43-30AB94CC20FC_zps

C312A136-C8BE-420C-9BE5-488B6099A1EA_zps

A31B7C0D-1404-4720-96A0-D96BF9363D54_zps

Once the cement had cured it was time to bring the fuselage halves together. Again for such an old kit, a surprisingly good fit. Just needed the use of elastic bands to convince the lower rear fuselage halves to come together. I also ran a little thin cement around the other side of the windscreen. The trick of gluing it to one side appears to have worked really well.

16F83014-D7AE-40F5-B3BC-4F7F8C54DEA2_zps

EE9E352E-CF70-4348-A16C-3130A05A0CF3_zps

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 3

Thanks Ray. It depends on the weather. I intend to use rattle cans to do the main paint job, don't fancy brush painting that much in aluminium and white. However, that means it needs to be warm and still enough outside! I note that Perth was colder this morning than Canberra - ugh!

• Like 1

Ah-ha! Should have the read the instructions better.

We do put a lot of effort and argument into those instructions so we're delighted you read them.

not much can be seen through the windscreen!

Or the cabin windows... I did full detail on the first Dakota I built. Nowadays I just paint the inside matt black and tell everyone it's fully detailed.

It's great to see one of these being made as we have sold dozens and dozens, telling people it's ideal for a first effort conversion.

Let me know if you need more info or that missing piece of wire (must be one that the boss packed...!!!)

• Like 4

Thanks Ed! The instructions are great - very clear and easy to follow. No worries about the wire - should be easy enough to source something of the right dimensions.