Warbirds (vac, 1/72) Sopwith Snipe

We recently held a memorial group build on another forum in honor of Gordon Stevens, the pioneer of vacuforms responsible for the Rare Plane line of kits. He also mastered the Warbirds line which consisted of the Snipe, Thomas Morse Scout, Junkers D.1 and a Pfalz. I've been wanting to build a 20s-era Snipe for a while so the GB was the perfect opportunity to get it done.

I used quite a bit from the PART pe set intended for the Toko kit to detail the cockpit, some of it is still visible!

Decals are from one of the Model Alliance "Wings of Silver" sheets and depict a machine from 19 Squadron, circa 1924.

Snipe%20cockpit%20DSCN6184_zps9ogsoiio.j

Warbirds%20Snipe%20d_zpsiuxvxgzz.jpg

Warbirds%20Snipe%20b_zpsehs74t5g.jpg

Warbirds%20Snipe%20e_zpsqadaksmq.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Dan

• Like 21

Beautiful! I've always wanted to do a post-war Snipe. By the mid-20's it was such an anachronism, being so typically Great War with that rotary engine.

Regards,

Jason

Wow,..... superb job Dan and I love the scheme! I built one of these kits years ago and did it in inter war colours but it is now in the spares box and wasn`t a patch on your beauty!

Well done sir,

Tony

That is a very good build Dan, it looks just right. I would like to be able to do interiors, I don't have the patience or the ability to translate and scratch build from the plans.

I have realised over time that I just like the painting.

It's a beauty. Is the upper wing composed by two parts (upper half, lower half), or is it in one single piece?

Thanks Convair, the wings are all single thickness.

-Dan

That is a very good build Dan, it looks just right. I would like to be able to do interiors, I don't have the patience or the ability to translate and scratch build from the plans.

I have realised over time that I just like the painting.

I'm just the opposite- I like scratchbuilding interiors but hate painting!

-Dan