Airfix 1/72 Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I L6957 264 Squadron March 1940

I've just finished this: the Airfix 1/72 Defiant in the markings of L6957 of 264 Squadron as she may have appeared around February/March 1940 when the squadron begain their first operations in the new aircraft. The aircraft were issued to the squadron in December 1939 but mechanical problems and the need to develop new tactics meant that it was only in late February that the first combat missions - mainly convoy protection patrols - began.

L6957 took part in patrols over the Dutch coast and the Channel, suffering some fairly severe damage over the French coast on the 29th May, but surviving both the French campaign and the Battle of Britain, being damaged again on 28th August and following repairs being transferred to a training unit.

This is the very lovely Airfix kit, with the turret guns replaced with brass barrels from Master. I also replaced the navigation lights with clear sprue and the pitot tube with Albion Alloys Aluminium micro-tube; apart from that it is OOB although I did use the Eduard canopy mask set. I also used the Infini Model Fine (70 Denier) white lycra thread for the aerial wire.

The topside colours are Phoenix Precision Paints Dark Green and Dark Earth, the underside is Vallejo Off-white and a near-black mix of Vallejo German Grey and Black (about half of each). The markings are mostly Xtradecal from their Defiant set, modified and mixed as appropriate for the period, with the kit markings for stencils etc.

Anyway enough talk, here are the pics:

DSCN5265.jpg

DSCN5267.jpg

DSCN5268.jpg

DSCN5271.jpg

DSCN5272.jpg

DSCN5275.jpg

Thanks for your attention gents :cheers:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 27

Thanks very much Jim, Rob :)

Jim, it's Xtracolor XDFF flat coat, I forgot to note that in the blurb - I always use too much but it is flat as Lincolnshire as long as you shake it up properly...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Thank you Polo :)

Thank you Tony - it actually sort of surprised me how drab the scheme looks without that yellow ring around the fuselage roundel to brighten it up... but then you have the half-white underside to make up for it I suppose!

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks very much gents :cheers:

73north, yes the Master barrels do make quite a difference don't they? I have several packs of the .303s but I seemed to have some reluctance to actually use them - I kept waiting for my 'perfect model' to use them on... :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I first ' discovered ' brass barrels when I came across by accident , Fukuya brass 1/48 cannon barrels for the preparations to build the N1K2-J ( George ) in Japan

- ordered them , and was astounded the difference they made , and they are far better looking ( and hollow ends ) than the kit parts - I never turned back - and always use them

where possible , along with MOSKIT Hollow exhausts , the one thing that can , for a small price transform the look of your model !

completed%208_zpsw4lkjx00.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...