1/500 Revell JJ Enterprise

My first lighted model since I got back into the hobby which I built last year. It took me 5 months, at times I felt more like an electrician than a modeller LOL! There are also some daylight pictures of my JJ Enterprise, it's around 3 years old now and it was my first lighted model.

fkN6AWz.jpg
0AW3IED.jpg
YkzvhRB.jpg
HQ32j3K.jpg
tCJn1eq.jpg
sUzOStv.jpg
FX3ebSw.jpg
5c97yzH.jpg
5PoIp1R.jpg
GyQFQeg.jpg
V2A94yB.jpg
dm2qpdu.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 34

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lee,

Can I say you have done an amazing on this build. I built this kit myself but didn't light it, however seeing yours I wish I had now.

All the best,

Rick

Thank you Rick,the plastic is very thin in places,and i would have built it differently a second time,but it was a learning curve that,s for sure,i have seen one built in the TOS colour scheme and it looked superb with orange spinning engine effects,check out Lou Dalmaso,s youtube channel,you will find it there.

Thank you Rick,the plastic is very thin in places,and i would have built it differently a second time,but it was a learning curve that,s for sure,i have seen one built in the TOS colour scheme and it looked superb with orange spinning engine effects,check out Lou Dalmaso,s youtube channel,you will find it there.

I will check out that You tube channel.

I found this kit had some fit issues when I built it, but she still takes pride of place in my display cabinet (which is full)/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That looks superb. I have one of these sat on the floor next to me.

I ended up with the 50th anniversary box set that contains this and the original series Enterprise.

I am planning to go down the lighting route & will be over the moon if mine comes out half as good as yours.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW looks stunning not only just with the lighting but the way you have recreated the "aztec" panelling :worthy:

I have the same kit in my stash but feeling a little daunted to start its not so much the lighting but the panelling

Would you mind  explaining the process you did to recreate this effect?

Or is it just a case of days and days of masking? 

Any tips or hints would be much appreciated

Thanks

Ian :) 

Hi Ian,i bought a mask kit for it from CultTvman in the USA,one of Lou Dalmaso kits,it was very good,but i felt that for this scale of ship the panels needed be much more subtle,so i got squares of 2 inch size masking tape and cut rectangle,L shapes,and square shape holes in the tape and lightly airbrushed over the model to break up the surface details,then i dusted the model with some pearl white to soft the panels and give a slight shimmer when the light catches it,hope that helps.

Thanks Lee

I have since been talking to UKmoddeler about this very thing and he posted the links to mask set , I think that could be the best route for me

But if you do not mind :P  also copy your process with another dust over 

One thing I would like to attempt is that when I was watching the "new" Star Trek just a few nights ago, I noticed the aztec on the studio "model" appears to have both matt and satin finishes but maybe that may be a step to far :) 

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love the paint job, aztecs and lighting Lee, very nice work!

I've got one of these on the shelf but it's at the back of the queue (after my work-in-progress Revell Klingon D7-Battlecruiser and the Revell U.S.S Voyager). Did you have a 'work in progress' thread on this build so I could get some tips?

On 15/08/2017 at 15:35, SteveR said:

Love the paint job, aztecs and lighting Lee, very nice work!

I've got one of these on the shelf but it's at the back of the queue (after my work-in-progress Revell Klingon D7-Battlecruiser and the Revell U.S.S Voyager). Did you have a 'work in progress' thread on this build so I could get some tips?

Sorry no work in progress with this build as it was all new to me at the time and i just went with tips from Boyd Comptons build on his Trekworks youtube channel,hope that helps.