Zvezda Pe-2 1/48

Here's some WIP shots of my Pe-2 I started a few days ago. This is my first Zvezda kit and in general I'm very impressed, The molding quality is incredible - panel lines and surface detail so fine, I worry about going too thick on the paint and loosing it all. Kit engineering is so-so - very fiddly in some areas - reminds me of a Great Wall kit I built a while back (P-61). I would definitely recommend dry-fitting frequently while building. I ordered the Eduards internal PE set and have used the seat belts, instrument panels and inner panels for the landing gear wells and bomb bay. Unfortunately, clearances are so tight, much trimming of the PE edges are necessary to get nacelles and fuselage halves to fit. Parts fits are like WNW kits (no clearance for paint!!). Some of the side window glazings are also a little hazy so Future may be in order.

I like this aircraft a lot - I think of it as a Soviet JU-88 or Mosquito.

Despite challenges, build has been fun. I'll try to send an additional build update and RFI pics soon.

Please pass on any questions if you have one of these in your stash with plans to build soon or comments/ courteous critiques.

enjoy,

John

Pe-2---parts-spreadout-2_zpsrjpfz3mo.jpg

Pe-2---cabin-1_zpsg5uw0ssp.jpg

Pe-2---cabin-2_zpst7kyjutp.jpg

Pe-2---cabin-3_zpsc7onn4qb.jpg

Pe-2-engine_zpssy9ol05p.jpg

Pe-2-closed-engine_zpscjypfvw0.jpg

• Like 7

Excellent, John. I was going to build one of these for the Great Patriotic War Group Build that's ongoing, but I took a plunge into the mysterious world of armour kits instead. But the Pe-2 is a kit that I'm really looking forward to tackling.

That looks great I'm really considering getting that kit now i've never owned a Zvesda kit so it'll be new and i've been building way to many fighter's recently so a bomber should be fun!

Some progress today on painting:
- instructions call out for Humbrol paints but I prefer Tamiya acrylics so I went with best guess - XF-63 for tank grey, XF-52 for tan, XF-17 for dark green and XF-23 for the aircraft blue underside. I suspect XF-23 is greener than the correct soviet Smurff blue but I like the look - similar to Luftwaffe underside (personal taste over accuracy I always say…)
- This is my first attempt using blue tack masking for soft camo edges - I think I made my rolled sausages a little too big resulting in very foggy edges. I used Loctite brand blue tack which seems to stick and release nicely from the Tamiya acrylic and no excessive oil residue - some witness areas were left on the dark green but this actually gives it a little weathered look which I like. After removing the blue tack, had to go back and do some touch-up in spots. The resulting ball of used blue tack with embedded paint, tape and newspaper bits looks pretty grimy - is it worth trying to use this again? Maybe it gets better with re-use - please let me know your experiences if you re-use this stuff.
- After an overnight cure on the acrylic, I'll give everything a coat of Future to prep for the decals (these Zvezda decals are challenging I've heard - hopefully they will survive and I won't have to research/ order/ wait for AM decals).
Far from perfect but I'm having model airplane fun which is the whole point, right?
enjoy,
John

20160712_115348_zpsuynmcdr2.jpg

20160712_123255_zpsm3vkfm75.jpg

20160712_124521_zpsqdmawva8.jpg

20160712_130744_zpslazyhf0k.jpg

20160712_130754_zps8o2kjla8.jpg

20160712_152417_zps6nashg09.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...