Pair of civil Tiggies - 1:72 Airfix

De Havilland Tiger Moth

Airfix 1:72

tig20_zpsthgrw3iu.jpg

These are the re-tooled Airfix kit. It is a huge improvement over the original kit from the 1950s.

The plastic is brittle though, and the struts easily broken. Not one of my four have the kit supplied tail skid, they all broke off during construction and were replaced with brass wire. But don't be put off, it is a lovely little kit for the more experienced modeller.

Oh, and the control horns on the tail are not on the lower surfaces, so I made my own.

Rigging is with invisible mending thread, Decals on ZK-BFH and G-ADJJ from Hannants Xtrdecal sheet 72204 'De Havilland Tiger Moth part 2'.

tig21_zpszllxd6i8.jpg

tig22_zpsvtfsqogd.jpg

tig23_zpsbfeg4kcs.jpg

tig24_zpsk0wlqwnd.jpg

tig25_zps8pyuxv8b.jpg

tig26_zpsocqxf4hb.jpg

tig27_zps9zww8a2t.jpg

I already built one of each straight from the box, and will probably do a couple more.

tig28_zpsbsw6fjng.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 32

Oh Viking!!! Holy moly!!! Thats what I like !!! I got this decal sheet and 2 Tiggis on the workbench. The kit is fantastic!!! Hope mine will come out half the way than yours!! Rigging that thing is not easy, but you made it in a fantastic way. I try to use this elastic rigging stuff from Uschi van der Rosten. It works quite good. But patience is a good fellows in this case.

Respectfully

Andy

Oh Viking!!! Holy moly!!! Thats what I like !!! I got this decal sheet and 2 Tiggis on the workbench. The kit is fantastic!!! Hope mine will come out half the way than yours!! Rigging that thing is not easy, but you made it in a fantastic way. I try to use this elastic rigging stuff from Uschi van der Rosten. It works quite good. But patience is a good fellows in this case.

Respectfully

Andy

By the way....did you follow the instruction to cut out the helplines at the wing struts??

Edited by Andy Dyck
  • Like 1

Amazing, all of them! How can you put the mending thread under tension? With a heat source? Or did you drill some holes, fed the thread through, and cut off the rest after the glue has cured?

Alex

• Like 2

Amazing little Tiger Moths.

It is really a great work you did with those lovely little birds.

I am happy to read you want to build two more.

Can't wait to see them built.

Keep on the good work !!!

Congratulations. Polo.

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

• Like 2

Those are stunning! Beautiful work, an absolute pleasure to look at. I'm not a big fan of civvy types but those 2 have just swung the balance in favour!

Nice work and thanks for showing - very inspirational.

ATB
Rick

• Like 1

I'm lucky to have seen these in the flesh as it were during construction.

Given the diminutive size of the kit, the rigging and decal work is particularly impressive John.

Nice one Matey.

Chris

• Like 1

Simply GORGEOUSSSSS! I have plans to do the same ZK- reggie one sometime and one or two of the others from the same decal set. Got four Airfix civvy ones in the stash and an AZ kit with the Dutch 'Long Fin' variant just arrived to do too in civvy colours.

• Like 1

Thank you chaps!

By the way....did you follow the instruction to cut out the helplines at the wing struts??

Andy, I did not follow the instructions on that, I thought the struts would never stand the strain. I cut the little 'X's off before painting and fitting.

I put the top wing on the central cabane struts with revell contacta glue and let it set for 30 minutes, then popped each interplane strut in.

Amazing, all of them! How can you put the mending thread under tension? With a heat source? Or did you drill some holes, fed the thread through, and cut off the rest after the glue has cured?

Alex

Alex, I drilled holes right through the top & bottom wings, and pulled each line tight securing with a drop of cyano. Let it set and then trimmed the line off. Then sanded good and resprayed over them.

I did the little wires between the cabane struts with stretched black sprue before fitting the top wing, securing them with white glue.

The real fiddly bit was the rudder control cables. Glued in at the forward end before the top wing went on, and later secured to the rudder horns later, using cyano and accelerator. Really, really patience testing!

All other wires were secured at one end of the lower wing before the top wing went on, then pulled through when the top wing was set.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Very nice indeed! And don't forget the gift set version in overall trainer yellow if you want another OOB scheme. It is a lovely little kit. I've built all three kit schemes and I could easily fall for number four if the right scheme comes along!

I agree totally with your advice on the struts. I can't imagine taking the cross braces off after construction without major damage.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Those are simply stunning. The levvel of workmanship is exceptional. I sometimes comment that other's 1/72 models are so good they look 1/48th but these could pass as 1/24th!

• Like 1

The quality of the build stands out on both kits and I really admire the beautiful finish you have achieved with both of these. It is not easy to get the shine on the panel to look correct at small scales.

What do you use to seal yor decals/paint at the end of your build? The rigging thread looks good at that scale too.

Thanks for posting the photos John. I have heard that this kit was good but it good to see the results. I think I will try one.

Andrew.