1/48 hasegawa F14 A 'Wolfpack'

Just watch out for the chin pod, gun vents and various sensors/antennas. There were a lot of revisions to the F-14A over the years, as they were flown from inception in the mid-70's until the late '90s (1998/9?) when the final A squadron (VF-213?) was updated to the Delta. Check your references. I know there are some companies out there (like Steel Beach) that offer various update/backdate conversion parts depending how accurate you want to be.

Yes, this kit contains all the parts needed for a 1974 VF-1 Tomcat, most important of all the old style beavertail (that is missing in most other Hasegawa Tomcat boxes)

Follow the construction sequence suggested for option 2 in the instructions above, this would be the configuration typical of the aircrafts of VF-1 during the retreat from Vietnam.

The only part missing would be the IR pod under the chin. This on early F-14As was a type that I can't remember seen in any 1/48 kit. In 1975 some aircrafts however already carried the AN/ALQ-100 pod only without IR sensor, as shown in option 2 of the kit. You can either forget the pod or try to scratchbuild it for a Vietnam F-14

What kind of references are you interested in ? If for details, the very best is Daco's book on the Tomcat where every area is "dissected" to show every detail. The only small problem is that most pictures here are of more recent aircrafts. Of course most details are the same, so I'd recommend it anyway. The Squadron Signal Walk Around is also a good title.

The D&S is fine anyway if you don't mean to scratchbuild every little detail.

If you want references on markings, the old Camouflage & Marking series had a book on the F-14 in the Pacific Fleet squadrons that covered VF-1 too. Most pictures are of aircrafts after 1975 though.

In general, the older books will have more pictures on the early Tomcats. The old In Action for example (the very first one, with a VF-84 aircraft on the cover) had quite a few pictures of VF-1 aircrafts operating from USS Enterprise.

Wow, the WAPJ title has become expensive ! (OK, it wasn't cheap when new...)

I have a Koku Fan Illustrated which must date from ca. 1978 or so, but can't be precise how much it has on details without having a closer look again. As Giorgio said, the D&S is from 1982 or something, so would have more on older mod states. Not sure if Verlinden did a Lock On, but that would be from around 1990 and so a bit later in the career.

Edit: There was a Lock On, but if the prices on Amazon for just about every Lock On are a yardstick, I should have bought all their remaining stock (and would rule the world) :banghead::fuhrer::clown:

Edited by tempestfan