Lunar Models Aries from 2001: A Space Odyssey

• 4 months later...

spacer.pngGreetings all,

Finally obtained an Aries 1-B from Captain Cardboard's "The models that Aurora shoulda made!" It looks to be a later kit as the landing legs have the details on the cover.  My questions now are:

1. Were there any clear parts for the windows, or are these made by the builder?

2. Did anyone do an aftermarket interior?

3. Are there any updates on the possibility of the 1/72 version by Mobius?

Thank you all for the previous answers to my queries! I look forward to reading more from the vast  knowledge and experience of this wonderful group!

Zane

Edited by zanenobbs
Correcting format.
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 1:00 PM, zanenobbs said:

spacer.pngGreetings all,

Finally obtained an Aries 1-B from Captain Cardboard's "The models that Aurora shoulda made!" It looks to be a later kit as the landing legs have the details on the cover.  My questions now are:

1. Were there any clear parts for the windows, or are these made by the builder?

2. Did anyone do an aftermarket interior?

3. Are there any updates on the possibility of the 1/72 version by Mobius?

Thank you all for the previous answers to my queries! I look forward to reading more from the vast  knowledge and experience of this wonderful group!

Zane

Hello Zane,

Congratulations on obtaining this kit!  The two examples I had were early pours from the first batch.  The quality of the resin was excellent with stunning detail, maybe the best I have ever seen in a resin kit.  The following may help with your questions:

1.  There were no windows or clear parts included in my kits.  During a visit with Scott at his studio, he mentioned that he does not include clear windows with his kits because the actual filming studio models never had them due to the problem with light reflection.  Windows can be added.

2.  I believe someone (Adam Johnson?) made an interior for this kit - no idea if one is still available.

3.  No recent updates from Moebius on the Aries 1B that I know of.  From the preliminary images, it looks to be an excellent kit.

I never did build the early 1/80 scale kits I obtained from Captain Cardboard,  but did manage to get the much larger 1/32 Aries 1B that Scott produced later.  You can see the model WIP here:

And the completed model here:

Good luck with this kit!

Bill

Edited by Jeddahbill