Portable air compressor?

Mike

Just had an email from The Airbrush Company announcing the new Sparmax battery powered airbrush compressor that can either run off whatever mains power is available (it's a DC motor), or work off a battery pack that can be recharged, with spares available for the really intrepid modeller! :lol:

There are going to be a number of package deals on release, but this is the top of the line one. Not cheap, but if you want to be able to airbrush anywhere, it's got to be up for consideration!

Arism-VIZ-Side-300w.png

Arism-VIZ-Multi-900w.png

More news when we have it, and we'll try to get a sample to see if it's suitable for all you road warrior modellers! :)

That's what I was thinking :) I know a few of you over that years have mentioned that you either model whilst away from home, or wish you could... well now you can! :frantic:

2.5kg, although it's not clear what's included in that. I suspect it's the basic compressor unit. batteries are notorious for being heavy, even a LiPo battery would need to be quite big and therefore heavier to give a meaningful usage period.

Here's the battery... looks like it connects via a fly-lead, so probably won't be included in the 2.5kg weight.

c-ar-viz-battery-l.png

I'd gladly swap if you fly me out there! :please:

Don't tempt me!

But remember the nearest LMS are, North, Tel Aviv, South, Pretoria, East, Kuala Lumpur and West, Florida...

Edited by wyverns4

I'd bring everything I needed with me - just make sure I don't get eaten by a lion, as I'd give it indigestion ;)

• Like 1

2.5kg, although it's not clear what's included in that. I suspect it's the basic compressor unit. batteries are notorious for being heavy, even a LiPo battery would need to be quite big and therefore heavier to give a meaningful usage period.

Here's the battery... looks like it connects via a fly-lead, so probably won't be included in the 2.5kg weight.

c-ar-viz-battery-l.png

Looks like the battery of the DC-25X we had a few years ago. I had a Britmodeller who was going away for a number of months that wanted compressor that he could use in his hotel and was very light & this fitted the bill. Mains adapter could power the compressor or recharge the battery. The battery slotted onto the side of the compressor, hose was a lightweight one, From memory the carton with everything in it weighed something like 1.5kg, So it doesn't dent the baggage allowance very much. Paul

Edited by little-cars

Just the thing whilst camping in the lovely, always wet, IOM!

Plenty of running water for acrylic clean up.

Sold.

I'm sure there's been lighter portable ones about in the past though?

Rick.

But does it pulse? :shrug:

If it doesn't I might just buy one as a backup and lend it to a certain modelling couple around these parts.....By main force if neccessary! :wicked:

I'm feeling a bit like a persecuted minority here!!!

Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tamiya made something similar years ago called the Spray Works. It ran off either an A/C adaptor or RC car stick type batteries. I have one kicking around somewhere. It worked fairly well but the spray pattern was a bit wide so I mostly used it for covering large areas.

Carl

Agreed Colin :) The pattern is down to the nozzle, not the air source.

We've got one these in to review at the moment, and I've not had much time yet to dabble with it, however it's quite a cool gadget. I love the little brush holder on the top that switches off the motor - saves all that faffing about fumbling for the switch to prevent over-pressure and excessive wear :thumbsup:

I'll post a review when I've had time to play with it properly. I was hoping to take it away with me on a little trip, but sadly it arrived too late :shrug:

As to the pulsing question, I tried its less portable brother a few months back (last summer?) and didn't notice any pulsing, but I'll definitely check for it this time too :)

• Like 1

Yes, the wide spray pattern was due to the nozzle and needle combination that Tamiya chose and not the compressor itself. Sorry for the unnecessary confusion.

I don't recall any pulsing issues with it either but it's been a very long time since I last used it and that was when I was just learning how to airbrush.

Carl

• Like 1