Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4 and G-6 recce versions

hajt

Hello

I would like to ask some questions about those mentioned recce versions.
I did search from my own references and from the net but if anyone have other opinions and knowledge.

First, would anyone be able to help about 109G-4R-3 with two auxiliary fuel tanks on wings, how they were attached ?
Did they have similar stubs like on those WGr.21 rocket launchers or rack or what ?
I have found some pics but just would like to know if someone knows better and more.
Also, what were those long things like pipes coming forward on those tanks ?

Second, Pierre Clostermann describes on his book 'The Great Show', how he shoot down a recce 109 with two wing mounted drop tanks. I know that it was Ian Blair who made the claim and that the 109 was apparently 109G-6R-3 1.(F)/120 A6+XH flown by Quednay.
Now the question, would the 109G-6 recce have used those auxiliary tanks ?
Did G-8 use or could have been used similar tanks.

I know that this is difficult but any info and output would be highly appreciated ?

TIA
Teemu Haajanen

Hi, hajt,

I guess it is the same as found in the FiSk 199. There is a Hasegawa kit of that. If you could find instructions for it, that would surely help.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/luft/fisk199.htm

Fernando

Thanks.

In "my scale" 1/72 was also this kit from Amodel.

To be fair, Clostermann never claimed that he shot down the Bf109, only that he witnessed it as wingman.

Oh, sorry, my mistake. Thank You for correcting. I just got that image from the posts that I have read before here on different topics.

May I recommend You to check this site and browse there for WW II -> Luftwaffe -> Aircraft -> Messerschmitt, there´s a bit blurry but otherwise good pic nonetheless of a Bf 109 G-4/R3 with wing tanks.

Toivottavasti auttoi, terv. V-P

Kiitos auttoi kyllä.

The same pic came across earlier from the web and few others, hard to see the attachments.

I hadn't clicked that the FiSk 199 kit had the underwing tanks - however the supports are not fully convincing, and I've plenty of spare Bf109 tanks. Just how good is the basic kit? What was the camera installation on these aircraft?

Hannants don't have any anyway.

FWIW Owl offer Luftwaffe cameras and a set with the under fuselage camera fairing and instrument panel control box in resin as well as a few decal sheets for 109 F and G photo-recce fighters as well as many other useful bits and pieces.

http://eshop.owl-czech.eu/

http://eshop.owl-czech.eu/detail/1:72-camera-cover-for-bf-109-aufklarer-1/

I've ordered direct from them before and their service is very good.

Nick

• Like 2

Hi, Graham,

To be fair, Clostermann never claimed that he shot down the Bf109, only that he witnessed it as wingman.

The one over Scapa Flow? However, it looks to have been understood otherwise. Besides, it is also said that he was not even in the air.

Fernando

Clostermann wasn't in the combat, though he wrote about it as if he was, but shouldn't be blamed for making claims that he didn't make. People were perhaps eager to jump to conclusions without actually reading the book. Lessons elsewhere perhaps?

Nick: thanks for the link to what would be a useful part, but I'm uncertain as to the exact fit of this aircraft or indeed many other recce Bf109s.