"Smoke on, go!" - Airfix 1/72 Hawk T.1a

I honestly don't know how long this has sat on the shelf of doom, and for the simple reason that the fin decals were a tad too short and, on some of the lower arrow decals the wrinkling from Microsol/Microset hadn't fully pulled out.

Anyway with a spare few hours and needing a break from the Junglie, I decided to try and wrap this up. I used fin decals from another of these kits in the stash to fill the gap at the top of the fin. The decal wrinkling, well there wasn't much I could do with that to be honest so I thought, to hell with it lets just finish this.

Here it is decalled, the artificial light has given it a very pink tinge in the first pic, it's really not I promise -

3669EA98-4E8B-47D8-A436-BFB959371388_zps

Mounted and in better light!! It's literally just stuck into a 2" x2" block of wood just now, I'm planning a better base for it than this, and a slightly different pose -

3E8DFE65-15DF-40A9-8D4E-87907DDB56F7_zps

65C9A5EC-6DF0-4FFE-B9F8-4AB6D4AEC671_zps

Used a cut down pin for the pitot probe, and it makes a huge difference. The smoke is just cotton wool teased out and stuck to a steel 1.3mm rod, then sprayed a thinned blue colour. The rod goes all the way through the aircraft and stops in a hole on the rear cockpit bulkhead making it pretty stable once stuck in place with some Gator Glue.

Hope this appeals to the masses. I'll post some more pics once the new base is done.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 28

Nice work there :thumbsup:

I have one of the these also on the shelf of doom, to be posed in flight.

Nice idea with the rod, can't tell from the the pictures but is it mounted just above the exhaust or through it?

• Like 1

Nice work there :thumbsup:

I have one of the these also on the shelf of doom, to be posed in flight.

Nice idea with the rod, can't tell from the the pictures but is it mounted just above the exhaust or through it?

It's mounted through the flat section just above the exhaust where the diesel pipes would sit on the real thing.

Eng

• Like 1