Hasegawa 1/32 Fw-190 A5/U12 Lt. Erich Hondt 2./JG 11 Finished 1-9-2016

• 3 weeks later...

OK, After finishing the two Ju-88 builds and still buzzy with the Yak 3 have I got more time now.

So it was time to start this one up again. I have done some detail painting and done some MDC decals for the instruments.

While I was buzzy with this I also got my 1/32 Hasegawa D9 from the shelf of doom. This is a conversion to a D-11. I did both the models with the decals.

Here are some pictures of what has been done today.

The tub.

IMG_3376_zpsyhbdckan.jpg

IMG_3378_zpsvzcpgq5z.jpg

and the instrument panel.

IMG_3377_zpsaandgnq0.jpg

I also glued the fuselage together. The tub will be placed after cleaning up the seams.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 5

The seams are now cleaned up and I have put the cockpit tub in. After that I also placed the wings. And now I have done loads of stuff to it, but nothing to make a picture of.

Here are two pictures of the build sofar.

The nose, with some test fitting of the prop (that was also done).

IMG_3388_zpsegp2h0jf.jpg

And here the fuselage with the wings attached. I used some clamping to get a decent fit. Because I spaced the nose I got some trouble with the fit of the wing at the front seam, But nothing that couldn't be sorted out. I also placed the flaps closed. This wasn't a easy job, but got it done. There are also some sink marks on the wings and flaps. These have been filled with Mr surfacer 500 and needs to dry before I can give it a rub down.

IMG_3389_zpsdwq35ubq.jpg

In the back ground there is a Fw-190 D9 visible and also the PCM Macchi Mc.200. Both are in 1/32 scale.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Hi Guys,

Some more pictures of what has been done the last few days.

The nose again clamped to get a good fit.

IMG_3396_zpswetltpd6.jpg

and here after it was dry and the gun cover placed with the two mg's placed. The mg's are from master and were a left over from a other build.

IMG_3398_zpswkqb6zmn.jpg

And here are the under wing gun packs placed with some clamping to keep them in place. I used a gel type cyanoacrylaat glue for this.

IMG_3397_zpskrfrnhjz.jpg

here without the clamps, but already with some mr surfacer 500 that will be cleaned up later with some Gunze thinner.

IMG_3402_zpsp6wslmyv.jpg

And the last picture is of the front of the engine. It is mainly black and there will not be much seen of after the placing of the prop and the fan.

That is why I didn't do much of detailing etc.

IMG_3401_zpsk498f8t8.jpg

I have already removed most of the undercarriage parts from the sprue and cleaned them up for the painting stage. This will be started hopefully this week. Also have I dipped the cockpit glass in some Klear to give it a better shine and some protection. The canopy will be closed.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 2

you're making quick progress Arnold, she's looking great.

Those gun pods are huge!! Bet they knocked off a far bit of speed.......though I'd hate to be on the receiving end of their combined output!!!

• Like 1

you're making quick progress Arnold, she's looking great.

Those gun pods are huge!! Bet they knocked off a far bit of speed.......though I'd hate to be on the receiving end of their combined output!!!

At the wrong end of six 20 mm guns!!!! :door: Brrr it gives me the shivers when I think about it.

If my memory serves me right it gave a los of about 20 miles per hour.

I have done a few things today. I painted the headrest, front hood with the revi sight and also placed the acetate visors for that.

Tomorrow I will place the cockpit glass and then it is time for the first paint.

I also noticed in a picture at ettore's build that it looks like the spinner has a different colour than the prop blades. Could it be red?!?!

I read somewhere in a dutch book (Sporen aan de hemel dl 2) That he turned his red nose towards the enemy high in the sky.

Hmmmm, that will give even more questions than answers. It also states that the aircraft he flew was polished just before the last flight to get some extra mile out of it.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Hi guys,

It is time to put some paint on and I will go for the safe side. I will lose the yellow band and the spinner will be standard RLM70.

I have some more pictures of what has been done yesterday and today.

Yesterday I finished the cutting of some brass tubing that will act as the 20 mm gun barrels. The most difficult part was to get all the barrels at the same lenght. I also made the model ready for the painting stage.

Here are the pictures.

The gun barrels fitted to the model. As you can see on the ride side the fit isn't purfect, but they aren't glued in place jet.

IMG_3403_zpsmrjxmjte.jpg

IMG_3404_zpsbufbdxth.jpg

And here is the model ready for painting.

IMG_3405_zpso8dhsn4p.jpg

What has been done this morning. I started with the white for the tail, underside nose as primer for a solid yellow color later on and for the primer for the red band. After that was the yellow(RLM 04), RLM 66 (cockpit glass) and red (RLM 23).

IMG_3408_zps5gywmui2.jpg

IMG_3406_zps4wvaglfv.jpg

IMG_3407_zpsrrgft7kc.jpg

After this it will be time to mask that, but that is a task after the paint is dry. So tomorrow it will be time to mask and put the underside color on (RLM 76).

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Hi Guys,

I have done the masking today and also painted the underside with RLM 76 from Gunze.

I first pre-shaded the model.

Pictures says more than words. Here they are.

after the masking of the red stripes, white tail and the yellow engine panel.

IMG_3411_zpsjnwf4jz4.jpg

IMG_3412_zps0qdoqw11.jpg

And here is the pre-shading done.

IMG_3414_zpsfj1orf0v.jpg

IMG_3413_zpsqgm1poj0.jpg

And finally after the RLM 76 was put on.

IMG_3415_zpscse0suvy.jpg

IMG_3416_zpsiadgas6j.jpg

The next stage will be masking the RLM 76 and painting with RLM 74 and RLM 75.

The next update will hopefully be in a couple of days.

Cheers,

• Like 5

Thats starting to look really nice Arnold, the underside came out well. Getting the masking right for the red strip would have been fun.....but it will look so much better than decals!

• Like 1

Thanxs guys.

Thats starting to look really nice Arnold, the underside came out well. Getting the masking right for the red strip would have been fun.....but it will look so much better than decals!

It was quite easy to do. I have got some very small tape that worked very fine. It only took me a few minutes to do.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

Not much of a progress, but I have done the break lines on the undercarriage. It took me about 2 hours of work. It was quite fiddely.

Here are two pictures of it.

IMG_3418_zps2130hfu6.jpg

IMG_3419_zpsznusvsch.jpg

I will start the painting tomorrow, when I have some more time. This will be RLM 74 and RLM 75.

When that is finished I can give it a coat of Klear and put the decals on.

Cheers,

• Like 7

Thanxs Guys for the kind commends.

I have been painting today the RLM 74 and RLM 75. I did this freehand with my trusted Evolution airbrush. The paints used are again from Gunze.

Here are some pictures.

After the RLM 75 (H69) was put on. including lightened with some white.

IMG_3428_zpszj8flooa.jpg And here with RLM 74 (H68) on. Also included with lightened with white.

IMG_3429_zpsggjf1ypb.jpg

And finally after all the masking is removed. To reveal the scheme.

IMG_3430_zpsbwftizzf.jpg

IMG_3431_zpsfuqefjrs.jpg

IMG_3432_zpslnx7leti.jpg

IMG_3433_zpskxmrpwdu.jpg

IMG_3434_zpsp6fck6kn.jpg

As you may notice I didn't painted the yellow band on it. I used the advice from FalkeEins for this.

There is still some painting to do, but that is just the exhaust plates and the wheel bays. This will be done tomorrow.

I hope to give the model a Klear coat later this evening to seal all the nice paint work.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 9