Hasegawa 1/32 Fw-190 A5/U12 Lt. Erich Hondt 2./JG 11 Finished 1-9-2016

OK Guys,

The Hasegawa 1/32 Fw-190 A5 will be my entrance for this GB.

I have got some goodies with it as well. There are two resin gun pods from Eagle cals for under the wing.

This is the rüstsats U12. With this I also have the decals from eagle cals with one of the schemes for Lt.Erich Hondt's Fw-190 A5/U12 from 2/.JG11. Here are some pictures of the model and goodies.

the Box.

IMG_3284_zpsx3cso3gb.jpg

IMG_3286_zps7gsiwaxn.jpg

And the goodies with it.

IMG_3287_zpseml3jimp.jpg

Here are the underwing gondola's with it's manual.

65797d19-ddfd-4d4a-ba18-325fb0f2ff23_zps

And the decalsheet that is needed for it.

IMG_3289_zps5hlrrwgn.jpg

This is the scheme I will use.

IMG_3290_zpsegkk98yv.jpg

Now we need to wait for a week before it starts. I still need to finish two Ju-88's and a Yak 3. :fraidnot:

Luckely I managed to finish my Saab Draken yesterday. So that one is now out of the way.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 4

..looks interesting - no yellow Rumpfband though! We know that because Hondt wrote a letter describing this machine and its colourful finish which was published in a German-language book. The pilot was then shot down and the aircraft lost on 8 October 1943, well before fuselage bands were introduced. See Peter Rodeike in Jet & Prop 3/12..

here's a print copy in my collection from the original negative

hondt.jpg

• Like 3

..looks interesting - no yellow Rumpfband though! We know that because Hondt wrote a letter describing this machine and its colourful finish which was published in a German-language book. The pilot was then shot down and the aircraft lost on 8 October 1943, well before fuselage bands were introduced. See Peter Rodeike in Jet & Prop 3/12..

here's a print copy in my collection from the original negative

Thanxs for the info. I am now more curious about the colour behind the most right person on the foto. It does look different than the colour on the front fuselage. could you enlighten me what colour that could be?!

Cheers,

very nice choice Arnold, have never seen one of these built before so look forward to following yours.

I love the colour scheme.

I know the feeling with builds stacking up......least I made excellent progress on Su #2 today.

If I have the time I may move the Fw-190 to this build as the 152 should be very straight forward.

• Like 1

Interesting you should say the Rene, I found this while looking up this aircraft.

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t53244-focke-wulf-fw-190-a-5-u12

I don't read french but they appear to think the same about the rear band.

I have found the same plane on another site, and he mentions why he thinks the band should be red and not yellow.

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/forum/makete-aviona-aircraft-modeling/focke-wulf-fw-190-a-5u11/

But as we all know nothing is ever that simple with Luftwaffe schemes and B&W photos. Hopefully someone on here has all the info, as it's a cool scheme....now if they had something similar for the Ta-152!!

• Like 1

Hmmmm, I am still not convinced. After taking a better look at the foto from Falke eins am I still in doubt. The tail band looks like a different colour than the noseband. I have also seen a foto in a dutch book where there is the same foto as Falke eins has, but also one from the nose. There you can see that the underside of the nose has a different colour. I think that is yellow. And it looks the same as the tail band.

I am still thinking that it's yellow as well.

There is also a possebilaty that the the nose band is yellow?! But that would be agains the colour code for the 2nd staffel that is red. Hmmmmm

I think I will have to have a better think about this.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

OK Guys, it's starting time. I have done some work today. First thing that needed to get out of the way was fitting the gun packs underneath the wings.

Out came the Dremel and on with sawing it up.

The original panel.

IMG_3293_zpsscck5hry.jpg

Because the gun pack isn't covering the whole panel I needed to remove a part of it. Here is another picture after sawing the first one.

IMG_3294_zpshco3vycv.jpg

It still needed to be cleaned up, but that was easily done.

I also managed to cut the first panel to wide, so I needed to put a strip of plastic in.

Here is a picture with one gun pack placed. You can see the plastic strip on the left side.

IMG_3300_zps29r12v9n.jpg

And after this work done it was time to place the wheel bay in to give it some stiffness. Here is a picture with all the clamping on.

IMG_3302_zpsd141hqrx.jpg

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 1

As with most 190 kits that spar and wheel bay is the key to a successful build check the notches in the wheel bay and where they sit in the fuselage. As they can be tight and this stops the wings sitting flush with the wing roots. Ask me how I know?!

Great start btw

Edited by dazdot
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

I have some more done the last days. The wing is closed now, so that the wing is more rigid.

IMG_3304_zpsaq7y7uib.jpg

I have also made the power egg up. I already placed the engine. After the cooling grill/blades will be placed there isn't much to be seen. I wil paint it black and also do a dry brush afterwards.

IMG_3305_zpsdy5hbzse.jpg

I also found out after some testfitting that the fit on the underside of the power egg isn't great, so I gave the fuselage a small spacer.

IMG_3308_zpsijduuuk2.jpg

Now is the fit between the fuselage and wing a bit tight, but that will be sorted out later.

I have also started the build of the cockpit. I will use what is in the kit, exept for a resin seat with some etch seat belts and foot pedals.

IMG_3306_zpsuwrdsklf.jpg

And the extra's.Maybee I will do the decals for the instruments as well.

IMG_3307_zpswmnpkvzz.jpg

The seat is from a different build (190 D11) that I wouldn't use there. It is from a MDC set.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 3

Really good start. The hase tub is a bit basic but really I ticks most boxes I have an airies one for a d9 and tbh with what you can see I see no problems

That was exactly my thought as well. I have build a few and the most noticable part of the cockpit is the seat.

Cheers,

The only down side for the Fw-190 A5 is that there is no real after market cockpit for. There is one for the A8 and the D9, but they are a little different than the cockpit of a A5.

I cheated with the d9 at the top of my dortenmann double build and put the pilot in! lol

O, I will cheat with this one as well. I just found a resin seat with molded seatbelts and it was already painted. Maybee I give it a new coat, but it looks very good.

Cheers,

• Like 1

I have made some progress today. I have painted the cockpit RLM 66 (dark grey).

I need to give it a wash and some dry brushing. After that it will be time to do some detail painting.

I still haven't decided if I will use the MDC decals for the instrumwent panel. It will look nice, but the down side is that the instrument panel is almost hidden away deep inside the fuselage.

I have also modelfied one of the brackets for the cockpit, so that I can put it in after the fuselage is closed (1st picture second fuselage). This will ease the fitting.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_3313_zpsh7kcbine.jpg

IMG_3314_zpsdjn7wbm7.jpg

I also painted the power egg grey. I have already given it a dry brush with some metal paint.

IMG_3315_zpscqyglvi9.jpg

I will paint the front part of it in a lighter colour and also do a dry brush.

That is it for now.

There will be no update this weekend ( I think). I have got a VIP treatment tomorrow at the DTM (German Touringcar championship) at Zandvoort in the Netherlands.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Nice work with the power egg and the pit and like Parabat I love the hasegawa 190's just don't like the price lol

I don't like the price now either. But I was Lucky in the past to buy some for just 20 euro's and put it in my stash.

Cheers,

Some years ago I built the 1/48 Eduard A-5 kit as Hondt's aircraft. Stared at the photo for hours trying to determine whether or not it had the yellow band. Eventually decided against it, interpreting the darker colour in that area as the upper camouflage coming down a little lower. I also think that, given the fact that Hondt described the red stripes he also would have mentioned the yellow, and that the yellow bands wouldn't appear officially for several months later.

Here's my interpretation:

DSC_5175.jpg

I don't live too far from where the aircraft was lost in 1943, so at the time that I was building the kit I went for a little hike in the area and at some point I found a piece of aluminium. It's not impossible that this is a piece of Hondt's aircraft:

IMG_1280_zpsseuy9yec.jpg

Following your build with interest! :goodjob:

• Like 7