Primer for Photo Etch

dwh

Having just started using PE on some builds, I would like to know what is the best primer for priming the said PE.

I use enamel paints for normal painting.

I use Tamiya Fine surface primer in a rattle can, I found Halfords primer worked well for me but others may find it lays down a bit too thick. Just make sure the etch is degreased thoroughly.

Bob

Do you airbrush it on or apply it by brush?

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter. You airbrush it on straight from the bottle. I find it really effective as it flexes when dry with the metal part. The only drawback is that it is clear, so you can't see where you have sprayed it. I have been working on a 1/32 Tornado with etched nickel silver flaps, slats and spoilers. These were painted before I discovered the Gunze metal primer and I've gotten so sick of the paint peeling with masking (I used Alclad primer before) that I've now stripped all the paint off the wings to start again and use the Gunze stuff.

Hope this helps.

Tom.

If you have access to a Halfords and a proper respirator/extractor , this is your best bet:

metalprimer.jpg

Mr Metal Primer through an airbrush works well but be aware its designed to etch into metal like the Upol. Your airbrush is virtually all metal, so it doesn't take much imagination to work out what happens if you don't clean it thoroughly. BTW if you go the Upol route, invest in the Cangun1 handle shown, Halfords will sell that as well and it lets you control the aerosol much better. Halfords also sell their own brand which is a lot cheaper than Upol and apparently works fine but I have not tried it .

A

Hi Peter. You airbrush it on straight from the bottle. I find it really effective as it flexes when dry with the metal part. The only drawback is that it is clear, so you can't see where you have sprayed it. I have been working on a 1/32 Tornado with etched nickel silver flaps, slats and spoilers. These were painted before I discovered the Gunze metal primer and I've gotten so sick of the paint peeling with masking (I used Alclad primer before) that I've now stripped all the paint off the wings to start again and use the Gunze stuff.

Hope this helps.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, I will give it a go. But i may try first to brush it on as most of the PE stuff I use is tiny - I guess Tornado flaps in 1/32 are a bit more substantial!

If you have access to a Halfords and a proper respirator/extractor , this is your best bet:

metalprimer.jpg

Mr Metal Primer through an airbrush works well but be aware its designed to etch into metal like the Upol. Your airbrush is virtually all metal, so it doesn't take much imagination to work out what happens if you don't clean it thoroughly. BTW if you go the Upol route, invest in the Cangun1 handle shown, Halfords will sell that as well and it lets you control the aerosol much better. Halfords also sell their own brand which is a lot cheaper than Upol and apparently works fine but I have not tried it .

A

Wow, this is a bit of an overkill to add the stuff to an IP :yikes:

But thanks for the warning regarding the etching.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1