Iraqi Town - 1/144th scale in a dome.

Bonhoff

One box.

27871969146_e2182fb5a5_c.jpg

Contents.

27373155724_6c0d14c148_c.jpg

27373155364_3fbdb6ea7f_c.jpg

In theory, everything I need in the one box. Base is nicely moulded, tanks less so, soldiers don't appear to be armed.

27884304432_6754b3cb07_c.jpg

One of two Abrams tanks, can anyone tell me what the pipelike object is meant to be on the back of the engine bay before I commit adhesive to it.? Desert air filtration? Wading Gear?

27986387935_17a3af0e49_c.jpg

Building taped together - It's now glued and the visible ejection marks have been filled, the roof has been engraved to represent pavers in the absence of any further information of middle eastern roof construction - I've assumed it's a patio.

• Like 4

Hi Bonhoff and welcome to the Vignette GB. That is an impressive set you've got there - and I like the presentation dome! I'm afraid I can't help with the pipe-like object but I'm sure someone will know one way or the other. The detail on the tanks may be alright with some dry-brushing. Looking forward to seeing this in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

The pipe on the rear of the M1 is the wading gear , only found on the USMC Abrams :) , would probably be removed before going further ashore.

Thanks. Thought they might be.

They'll stay off then.

Confirmed what I thought already too, thanks.

Hi Bonhoff. Just thought I would check in to see if there's been any progress with your dome project?

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Only a little bit of painting - Been concentrating on a Home Bargains Spitfire PRxix this last week but will be able to get some done at the weekend as I'm being left home alone.

IanJ

• Like 1

H Ian. Any progress is progress! Hope the Spitfire is going well and I look forward to a possible update at the weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Progress of sorts.....

I gave the tanks a quick brush coat of Tamiya "Buff" over a black background to start off the painting process but then realised something wasn't right.

Not with the paint - With the way the tanks sit

28640995635_a898c089ac_c.jpg

That's not right - It looks like the Abrams is taking off down the 1/4 mile drag strip! Way too high at the front.

One investigation on the interweb thingy later I came to the conclusion that the locating pins on the track assembly are most definitely in the wrong place.

I removed the track assemblies off both tanks to see if I could make them sit a bit lower.

28534370962_b9f33eee07_c.jpg

The one on the right looks better heightwise although it needs a little more adjustment.

More news as it happens.

• Like 3

Hi Ian. Drag racing with Abrams tanks?!! .........now there's a sport I'd watch! Yeah the one on the right certainly looks more like it should!

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stix,

Not had much time I'm afraid, weekends have been spent scratchbuilding metalwork on a 1:1 Ford Fiesta.

Hoping to get one evening in this week, as I'm at the painting stage it has to be done at home, kit assembly can be done at work at lunchtimes but I think my colleagues would complain if I rocked up with a compressor and spray booth.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 1

Hi Ian. Hope the work on the Fiesta is going well and that you find some time for some painting. It's my lunchtime here and I'm currently making up some tracks from individual links for one of my GB projects. Bit dull but it means I don't lose valuable modelling time at weekends!

Kind regards,

Stix