Saab J 21A-3 Pilot Replicas 1/48

Here is another build of this great little kit:

27980487601_c7b6ff1797_c.jpg

28023610916_e3dd3328ee_c.jpg

Most is OOB. I sanded down the fabric texture on the fin, which is almost impossible to see on a real aircraft (I saw one live just a few days ago). I also added the small "lips" above and under the exhausts and re-shaped the fairing in front of them.

27955249062_34df818d88_c.jpg

Other issues are well-known before, assembling the wings means some difficulties since the leading and trailing edges are moulded integrally with the top. This means a pretty difficult join along the flaps ans wingtips - dont get fooled by the instruction sheet that shows this as if there were panel lines there. The booms were also a little difficult to attach, but with some sanding and patience this meant no problems.

28023607636_097f93a00d_c.jpg''

Main landing gears are delicate and are attached with extremely small pins, you have to be careful, but with a little patience I got everything right.

27777065640_f0212da6a5_c.jpg

The green is Gunze 309 which i almost spot-on the Swedish olive green of the 1940s and early 1950s, later i became a bit darker. The blue-gray is Gunze 307 with a little Tamiya Ocean Grey.

27777100900_55018e2f43_c.jpg'

I used the PE parts for the windows. A bit tricky, but I managed to get it tight at last. Actually, I made it twice on the top window since I put it inside out the first time... Rest of cockpit is OOB, I just added some instrument decals.

27777069220_8eb8874f23_c.jpg

Canopy has a great fit and it is no problem to leave it until the rest of the model is finished. The side windows can also be attached after painting, which makes masking and painting pretty easy.

27980491581_23b5196a6a_c.jpg

I wanted to make an aircraft of F 9 wing, Gothenburg using the "Bonzo" dog decal from Flying Colors "Swedish Warriors"-sheet. I also used the roundels from this sheet. Rest of decals are from the excellent sheet in the box apart from the blue L which came from my decal spares box.

27955246672_61e2a6b228_c.jpg

Apart from the small issues mentiones avove, this is really a great little kit. Details are amazing and fit is mostly good. The whole build took just about three weeks - and I definitely did lots of other things than model building during these weeks.

• Like 23

I wonder if the pilot would get mauled by the propeller if ever ejecting out of the cockpit. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAAB_21

The advantages of a pusher design are that the view forward is unobstructed and armament can be concentrated in the nose, while a major drawback is difficulty in escaping from the aircraft in an emergency, as the pilot could get drawn into the propeller blades. Saab deliberated between systems that would eject the pilot, or jettison the propeller or the engine, via a system of explosive bolts,[1] and eventually installed an early ejector seat developed by Bofors for the purpose and tested in 1943.[2]

also one of two piston engined planes re- engined into a jet, J-21R, (the other is Yak-3 into the Yak-15)

Thanks, all!

great model

what blue did you use for the nose?

Is the interior green the same as the external olive green?

cheers

T

I used a mix of Tamiya X-14 Light Blue with a little X-4 Blue and a hint of Gunze H46 Emerald Green. And yes, the cockpit green is the same as the exterior green. There are few pictures showing this, but it can be seen here (note that the part close to the camera is lighter because of the flashlight).

f15_j21_cockpit.jpg

I wonder if the pilot would get mauled by the propeller if ever ejecting out of the cockpit. :)

As Troy's link tells, J 21 was one of the first aircrafts with an ejection seat. The first version was tested as early as in 1941!

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 2