Kassos, Greek motor tramp

Another really cracking model again Bob, superb stuff! I know that these really are museum quality models & finished as such, but I was wondering if you ever weather any of your ships? When I read the subject title for this I immediately envisioned some ancient old rust bucket on its last (sea)legs..!

Keith

Very nice Bob,always fancied a post war Fort,Park or Liberty.The London Greeks seemed to buy up a few after the war and sent them tramping. Tramping has that sense of adventure about it, but naw! 4-5 months or so at a time was good enought for me.

Regards

Peter

Thanks for replies.

The name "tramp" when applied to merchant shipping doesn't signify a ship of poorer build or quality, it refers to the trade she is in. Cargo liners set out from their home ports knowing exactly where they were going, and what ports they would call at (subject to minor changes), and approximately when they would get back. Tramps on the other hand set out, generally with a cargo for a specific port, but after that, they do not know. The next destination and cargo would be sent to them hopefully before they discharged the first cargo, and so on. They would therefore wander about the world for up to two years, before returning home again. I flew out to the Phillippines to join a modern tramp in 1977. It was discahrging grain in Manila bay, but we only found out after about two weeks that we were to go to Vancouver to load potash and sulphur. After leaving Vancouver, we were directed to Long Beach to fill up the remaining hold with salt cake. We then sailed for an unamed port in Australia. That was changed several times, and we finally arrived at Portland, Victoria. We were then sent to Geelong and Sydney to complete discharge, and then on the Weipa (Queensland) to load bauxite ore for Japan. We arrived at Yokohama, and I flew home!

I hope the kit manufacturers keep well clear of merchant ships, as it would ruin it for me. I prefer the obscure and semi-obscure. If you want to build one, just give it a try, and you would most likely succeed.

Yes, I do weather them sometimes. Here is the four-master Somali, running before the wind in a gale under short sail, complete with rusty hull.

Bob

Somali.jpg

• Like 10

Hello Bob, I did know the basics of what a tramp was (dim & distant memories of research for my degree disertation back in the dark ages!), but that still doesn't change the preconceived image that comes into my mind whenever I read 'tramp steamer' or somesuch!

Thanks again though for such an informative post, & that picture of the lovely Somali!

ATB

Keith

Motor tramp Pearlstone, rounding the Cape of Good Hope in 1972.

Bob

Pearlstone_off_the_Cape_of_Good_Hope_Lar

Yes Bob that's the dogs! When ships looked like ships, before the box boats. Which look akin to a block o flats on their side. I was kinda spoiled with the Port boats, all lovely lines IMHO even the last incarnations of the Port Caroline, and Port Chalmers had a certain Je ne sais quoi.

Regards

Peter

Yes indeed!

Port Wellington.

Bob

Port_Wellington_600_dpi_Large.jpg

Bob

Now that is nice, from the fifties through to the end of the seventies was truly a golden era for good looking ships. A plethora of British shipping companies (most of them household names) plying their trade near and far. Seems like that no matter where you went there was always at least one other British ship was alongside at the same time. Happy days where did it all go wrong, dammed box boats.

Peter

No, I haven't built one, but I do have plans for one somewhere. Bit too "far out" for me though. They were apparently not very effective, and the design never caught on.

Bob

When I read the subject title for this I immediately envisioned some ancient old rust bucket on its last (sea)legs..!

Keith

Similar here. I imagined a decrepit Stavros lounging against a rusty, sun bleached Fiat 124!

• Like 1

Here is another tramp belonging to the same company, Captain Michael. It is a more modern vessel, completed in 1962.

Bob

Captain_Michael_Large.jpg

Afternoon Bob

That is a fine looking vessel I never realised the KSNC had anything quite so tidy. Having said that, I'd never looked. Though somewhere in the dim and distant I think they bought the old "Ben Lomond", which was built as a Prince boat I believe. Regardless! that is an excellent model and one that you should be justifiably proud of. Just when I think I've seen the best, another pops up to trump it.

Peter

Edited by pmackinnon2004

• 3 weeks later...