SWS 1/32nd Ta-152H-1 - Finished

thanks, I'm making good progress, some of the bit are almost complete and I may even get to start some painting! I'm going to have to order those masks for the markings today else they won't get here in time!

edit: I think I've just solved my number 3 issue!! :yahoo: Montex do a mask set for "Galland's Circus" which by chance one of the aircraft is number 13 with the black edge to it. So my problem is now solved, thats a big relief, now all the main marks will be painted and should look much better!

• Like 1

Ehhhh, I don't want to be the one who brings bad news, but the 3 in that set is more round than the one you are going to need.

Sorry for the bad news.

I have just been looking at the montex site and there looks to be a different set (K32014 for the Fw-190A6) that apears to have the right 3.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

• Like 1

arrr crap!!! just when I think I've had a win with this build someone comes along and bursts my happy bubble!! :wall::P

I have to admit I was so happy to find a 3, any 3 in that scale I didn't completely check!! And looking at some past builds by others I wasn't the only person to get the 3 style wrong. Not to worry, I can easily go a green 1, 6, or a 13....or keep it as the "Silver Arrow" as she stands at the moment!!!! ;) At least the main markings look right, I'm not to sure about the ones in the set you're talking about. Anyway mine will be at home waiting for me when I get home. More on this in the update to come, but the decals with my model have quite a few issues too by the looks of it, for one the the fuselage banding is too thin. Plus the actual print quality of them is actually pretty poor, the colours are not solid but very grainy!.

I'm quite surprised just how hard it is to get the right style in that scale, I haven't been able to find a set of AM decals to suit, and only PCM has or had the correct decals for this aircraft in their model, which is long since OOP.

Ok lots of progress but there's still away to go and I haven’t really gotten my head around the colour scheme yet, or to be more correct the markings, but more on that later. Oh and this will be photo heavy as well.

Ok first up the main gear, the moulding wasn’t the greatest, especially the scissor arms, some plastic disks for the pins and they looked better. They’ve since been painted and lightly weather, plus wheels and hubs have been done as well.

DSCF3834_zpssayzvedc.jpg

Next up were the gun doors, as mentioned I was really debating whether to use the PE inner sections or not. The instructions tell you to remove and replace the inner section with PE, but there’d be huge differences in the thickness in the doors. So this is what I did to use one.

The top of the inner section was ground back the thickness of the PE.

DSCF3835_zpsq25uufx8.jpg

Next the new door hinge was made.

DSCF3836_zpsefqqicin.jpg

Then the new PE section added to the original plastic door, it actually looks quite good!

DSCF3837_zpsxaq8c0us.jpg

My new door I added to the fuselage gun area ended up being a real pain in the butt! The area is actually very weak now and to make matters worse the new PE door is actually too small!! So it’s probably going to have to stay open now!

DSCF3838_zpsxregp1jc.jpg

Ok I couldn’t put it off any longer time to fit either the wings or engine!! In the end after lots of additional test fitted and fettling the wings had to go on first as that was going to give me the fit issues. So after quite a bit of CA and liquid cement and a lot of effort they’re on. The gaps aren’t to bad……

DSCF3843_zpszyig9e0r.jpg

So filling the gaps just took a couple of small bits of plastic strip and a bit of re-profiling. Now that’s done some additional detail to the ailerons.

DSCF3848_zpsxptaze5y.jpg

DSCF3862_zpsublgqfeb.jpg

DSCF3860_zps785ywk9p.jpg

So a quick assembly to see how she looks, it’s getting there and I’m pleased with the fit.

DSCF3857_zpscwp8v7fw.jpg

DSCF3859_zpshse3trpj.jpg

Ok painting time, I was intending to paint everything using Vallejo Air acrylics but after some test runs I was really unhappy with the way it went on, I just couldn’t get a nice even finish, so I’m switching to LifeColor. As I’m going to do it in sections pretty much how they were done in the real. So first is the engine cowling, this was built is a separate factory and pre-painted in a lot of cases before it was ever attached to the main airframe. A coat of aluminum is the base, there was no primer used at this late stage of the war so the main colour was just laid on bare metal, and it was a pretty light and uneven coat as well. As well the batches of RLM81/82/76 varied between factories as well. To simulate this I’ll use the Vallejo Air just for this section, if I stuff it up it’s easy to fix. It actually came out pretty good and is nice a patchy, one more light coat and she’ll be done.

DSCF3865_zpshwteuvgc.jpg

While that was drying a coat of Aluminum was applied over the rest of the model. The ID strips were done as well, it’s easier to get that done at this stage. The results are really nice there is a couple of really smaller spots I need to tidy up a bit but she’s already for the final colours!

DSCF3870_zpscne3dr2s.jpg

DSCF3864_zpsrgjjiaob.jpg

DSCF3866_zpsq6gbbe6n.jpg

DSCF3868_zpsktbb0bis.jpg

DSCF3869_zpsrhnegvgf.jpg

DSCF3872_zpsixcfegou.jpg

She actually looks really cool as she is, may be she can be a factory bird that never quite made it out?

• Like 6

you're not wrong are they're not in the best of spots either, but you're right they're such a lovely looking planes, one of the reasons I just have to keep going with it.......no matter the grief it gives me at times!

On ‎14‎-‎9‎-‎2016 at 7:55 AM, trickyrich said:

arrr crap!!! just when I think I've had a win with this build someone comes along and bursts my happy bubble!! :wall::P

I have to admit I was so happy to find a 3, any 3 in that scale I didn't completely check!! And looking at some past builds by others I wasn't the only person to get the 3 style wrong. Not to worry, I can easily go a green 1, 6, or a 13....or keep it as the "Silver Arrow" as she stands at the moment!!!! ;) At least the main markings look right, I'm not to sure about the ones in the set you're talking about. Anyway mine will be at home waiting for me when I get home. More on this in the update to come, but the decals with my model have quite a few issues too by the looks of it, for one the the fuselage banding is too thin. Plus the actual print quality of them is actually pretty poor, the colours are not solid but very grainy!.

I'm quite surprised just how hard it is to get the right style in that scale, I haven't been able to find a set of AM decals to suit, and only PCM has or had the correct decals for this aircraft in their model, which is long since OOP.

Have a look at my answer. There is another set that has a better 3 for you.

On ‎13‎-‎9‎-‎2016 at 4:37 PM, Arniec said:

Ehhhh, I don't want to be the one who brings bad news, but the 3 in that set is more round than the one you are going to need.

Sorry for the bad news.

I have just been looking at the montex site and there looks to be a different set (K32014 for the Fw-190A6) that apears to have the right 3.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Cheers,

• Like 1

:confused: ....I am a wee bit confused and lost for the moment, I like the new format a lot, but I've lost the history of everything i've posted in to in the past! (edit...left it for an hour, had to do work, came back and it's all back!!!! :yahoo: I am sooo relieved!)))

I had a look at that set you mentioned Arnold and you're right the 3 looks to be the one I want but the other national ones don't look quite right. I really don't want to buy the set just for that. Hence why I was looking at other options and this is where I'm really doing my head in!!.

There is a real lack of any proper information on the actual colour schemes or markings of these aircraft, even the famous "Green 9" is open to debate with some of it's details. There were only around 23 H1's that made it into service (even that number is debatable), all with JG 301. There is only one or may be two photos of these aircraft in actual service so the colour scheme and details come from the notes or accounts of the time which are vague and often contradict themselves.  The quality of these photos isn't the best, in one there is even still some debate in places as to whether the aircraft shown is Yellow 1 or Green 1, hard to tell in B&W photos. Plus whether there is a "Stab" line on the RV band or is it just a shadow??? And I'm not going to go into the debate over the colour of RLM 25, the green used for codes and spinners.

Ok there's been a couple of hours since I started this and I'm now leaning towards doing Yellow 1, though I may give up and just do Green 1 like everyone else!! :wall:

• Like 3

Just having a nosey about and stumbled upon this - a version of the 190 I never knew of and what a lovely looking thing it is too, very pretty indeed and might just swing me towards some prop builds in the future.

Quality build up and paint work too, I look forward to seeing this finished. Good luck with it.

10 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Just having a nosey about and stumbled upon this - a version of the 190 I never knew of and what a lovely looking thing it is too, very pretty indeed and might just swing me towards some prop builds in the future.

Quality build up and paint work too, I look forward to seeing this finished. Good luck with it.

thanks, I think they're one of the nicest looking Luftwaffe aircraft after the Me-262. They would have been quite an aircraft if there had been a little bit more time to sort out the odd issue or two they had. If these had entered service in numbers at the beginning of 1944 instead things may have been a wee bit different, but that can be said with most of these late war entries! 

Well first off I have to say I’m over the moon with how she’s looking at the end of two days work! Even though the paint gave me a few scares she just looks awesome!

Ok so what have I been up to, well painting and masking. First up I just wanted to break up the whole aluminium look of the underneath, as a lot of it will be left unpainted. So a couple of areas were paint steel, just to add a bit of relief. Then it was given a coat of sealer and masked ready for the first of the main colours.

DSCF3879_zpswklyygdd.jpg

I’ve decided to give the LifeColor paint a go again even though I’ve had some issues when I’ve tried to thin it down. This time however I’ll be using their thinners, so fingers crossed.

And I have to say it went on like a dream, I only needed to thins it by ~10% from the bottle and it went on perfectly.

DSCF3880_zpsfss4iioh.jpg

While this was drying I masked up and painted the canopy as well.

Ok this was left overnight to cure before more masks applied and the upper surface colours were applied. And this is where his paint gave me a scare again! Both colours (RLM82 on first then RLM81) went on completely different, in both cases I had to use different amounts of thinners to get the right consistency. Even then they just flowed on completely differently, hard to get a nice finish while spraying, but they both dried perfectly!!

DSCF3883_zpswbywfo3i.jpg

So off with the masks to see how it looks, and not too bad at all. The finish is great, the top surfaces look a bit washed out but this is just the light and the angle of the photo. The scalloped edges are a bit crappy but I can live with that, I doubt if they were perfect on the real thing.

DSCF3881_zps0ketplma.jpg

DSCF3882_zpsqcmrg2ez.jpg

Next the mottle. I’ve never had much luck doing this free hand with the airbrush, but finally I think I’ve got it right.

After that has settled down a bit time for more masks and the national markings. For something this size painted markings are a must. They went on without dramas, gotta love Tamiya acrylic paint!

So with all the masks off this is how she looks.

DSCF3885_zps8a3sg7kh.jpg

DSCF3886_zps7swfuhwa.jpg

DSCF3887_zpsfakm8vqc.jpg

DSCF3888_zps8rshpmzc.jpg

DSCF3889_zpsb8qwycwg.jpg

DSCF3890_zpszcuwjxhj.jpg

DSCF3891_zps5w7fpid8.jpg

I’m really happy with the finish and how the colour scheme and markings came out. As I mentioned the scalloping is probably the only letdown but I’m not too concerned about this. The paint work at the moment is very fragile so I’ll leave it to cure over night before a clean coat, that should protect it. There’s a little bit of touching up to do but that will add to the patchiness of the finish, which is what I’m after.

I’ve decided to use the “3” from the mask set, it’s very close to what I’m after, it’s not perfect but it’s close enough for me. So I’ll add that and the green bar across the RV bands. For a very brief period in early 45, JG301 aircraft had a bar through the RV band that was the colour of their Stab. From memory it was dropped around March (?), in the last 6 months of the war these types of markings and ID’s seemed to change almost monthly!

So the end is in sight, the only big job left to do is build the other flap, which I’ve seemed to have forgotten about!!!  :doh: With luck I should have this beasty finally completed by the end of the weekend which will be a big relief……..then back to the Macchi’s! :yahoo:

• Like 3

I may not have to, it's actually very close to being right, just slightly rounded a wee bit. There are two different "13" styles in the mask pack, one quite rounded and the other a bit more square. I'll try the original decals first, the green ones have no outline, but there is a set of yellow ones that have the black edge and strangely they are slightly bigger that the non edged green ones. So if I'm lucky putting the greek=n ones over the yellow ones will give me the black edge i'm after.  Failing that I may take the easy way and do "Green 1". :D

It’s the last post!!!!  Woohoo!!! :yahoo:

For a while I didn’t think this would happen as it almost ended up on the “Shelf of Doom”, but over these last couple of days she’s seemed to have all come together far better than I had hoped!

Ok, so after leaving the paint to cure for the night it was time for a clear coat and boy she needed it. The paint was extremely fragile and would life off just looking at it, so no masking! I decided to not use an acrylic gloss clear coat, instead I went straight to Tamiya’s Flat Clear in a rattle can! The last time I used this as a final coat it ruined the paint job on my Ar-234B-2N, but it want on like a dream. Once that had dried the panel lines were done.

DSCF3896_zpsqoqez8d7.jpg

As you can see it all came out perfectly on the underside.

Next up the engine was fitted, this needed to be done in two stages, first the engine was glued to the firewall and main supports on the wing. Once this was dried the fuselage sides were glued to the engine frame with glue a CA glue.

DSCF3894_zps9casvmob.jpg

That gun panel is just sitting there.

Next up were the few small decals that needed to be added, this I did completely different from normal and it turned out great. Because the model was already had a clear flat coat I brushed on the gloss clear only were I needed it. Then when dry added the decals, before a coat of acrylic flat clear then finally the Flat Clear from the rattle can, and the results were perfect. You can barely tell they are decals.

DSCF3899_zpsdlrlzadt.jpg

Now the part I had been stressing about the most, the aircraft code! I had right from the start wanted to do “Green 3”, but getting the right shape/font #3 was the issue. I had planned to use a paint mask for it but the #3 wasn’t quite right, I even checked with SHMBO (she’s a Graphic Designer), and even she wasn’t happy with the mask #3.

So I had one plan left to try before I’d do “Green 1”! Ok this is a bit convoluted so bare with me. The original decals have the right shaped #3 but it doesn’t have the fine black border which it needs. However the yellow numbers do have the thin black border and they are the right shape, and most importantly they appeared to be very slightly larger than the green numbers. So the plan was to put the yellow 3 down first then the green 3 over top of it so as I would have the fine black border…..if all went to plan I'd have a black border #3!

AND IT WORKED!!!!

DSCF3893_zpsvwgsipcs.jpg

Don’t worry about how it looks in the photo, it’s just the camera having a bit of a hernia. The decals are screen-printed and you can just see the screen pattern but digital cameras produce a moire effect with the images. That aside I couldn’t be happier so on-wards to the finish now.

The undercarriage was fitted along with the front section of the canopy.

DSCF3897_zpsfjiqfg4e.jpg

The fine actuators for the cowling flaps were added as well.

DSCF3900_zps4oakqqct.jpg

And that’s it, just some minor bits to finish off and the second flap…..if I get lazy I’ll just use the kit ones, but seeing as I now have the time it should be a pretty quick job to whip up a second one. Oh and I may have to repaint the spinner now to try and match the green in the #3.

So this is how she looks, almost there, the next photos will be in the gallery.

DSCF3895_zps4fzlypa0.jpg

DSCF3898_zps2fzwrfoy.jpg

DSCF3901_zps14lketrv.jpg

DSCF3902_zpswihqpsjp.jpg

Oh and why I so wanted to do “Green 3”? Well, Oberfeldwebel Josef Keil was the only pilot to become an ace while flying a Ta-152. Quite a feat considering it was such a rare aircraft (maybe only <20 ever serviceable at any one time) and really only saw limited action in the last few months of the war.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Absolutely amazing. The aluminium paint looks fantastic, if that's Lifecolor I must try some.

john

Thanks, no the metal paints are from Model Master (Testors) and was part of the Metalizer range of Lacquer paints. I love the stuff, it's just so easy to use and goes on nice on just about anything. Unfortunately the range has been discontinued and is getting ever so hard to find. Once this runs out I'm not sure what I'll use, either Alclad or one of the new metal acrylics. With the LifeColor I've since found you really must use their thinners for it to work well. Anything else and I find it'll give you grief, I just wish Tamiya would turn out a range of "Authentic Colours", that stuff is bullet proof!! 

1 hour ago, Kahunaminor said:

Trouble, trouble boil and bubble, all worth the effort matey. An excellent result and a very snappy result. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Thanks, as you can guess I'm over the moon with how it's finally turning out! It's been a struggle which was mostly my fault, without the AM cockpit and flaps it would have been a much simpler build. But you live and learn, I thing the paint job is whats finally pulled it all together, I am chuffed with it. Glad you've enjoyed the build...sorry for all the whinging throughout it! 

• Like 2

And she done!

Just some finishing touches and she’s finished. I didn’t want to go too heavy on the weathering as these aircraft probably didn’t do a lot of flying when compared to other types. There was still some fit issues with the cowling and nose cowling, but short of cutting off location pins I thought to leave well enough alone! There’s only a tiny gap that is really not noticeable in the end.

I ended up painting the spinner twice, trying to get the right shade of green, it’s still not quite right, but looks ok.

Thanks for looking/following this build, I’ll post additional photos in the gallery and RFI sections.

DSCF3905_zpspumyjgdm.jpg

DSCF3903_zps7lacdmkq.jpg

DSCF3911_zpspoouarxc.jpg

DSCF3907_zpstd10cxq0.jpg

DSCF3912_zpswyt3c2e1.jpg

DSCF3906_zpssoimmuwk.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Touvdal said:

Out standing model, great work :lol:

Just one small thing the antenna wire is not slack , but tight as it was mounted on a roller system.

cheers

Jes

opps.....I was just going on all the other models I've seen!! It sort of makes sense that there would be some way of keeping it tight! Thanks for that, will fix it.

Rich, well done!!!. I love it.

O, the Antenna is supposed to be slack with the bulged hood. Only  the  standard hood on the 190 had a tention system.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 2