When you are wondering whether you have overdone the weathering ....

nheather

So you often find yourself thinking

"Have I overdone the mud on the tank tracks?"

"Should I spend £5 on some wheel masks so the tyres look perfect?"

Well I went to a Military Vehicle show today in Surrey. The weather was good and it stayed dry but we have had a fair bit of rain the previous weeks so the arena in the farm's field was soon churned up ......

Muddy%20T54%20Small.jpg

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather
  • Like 4

Also interesting to note the lighter brown under the trackguard and on the side compared to the fresher and darker mud layered on top.

Nice image!

Christian, exiled to africa

It was a great show. I thought I was going to be disappointed when I first saw the state of the arena as I could not see much being able to run in it.

My suspiscions proved valid, and none of the wheeled displays (by far the largest proportion of the show) went ahead. But instead we saw a lot more of the tracked vehicles and it was really interesting to see how easily the dealt with the mud - in particular the brake steering was really emphaised and apparent.

Although the range of tanks is nothing like what you get at Bovington Tankfest, you are really close to the display, worth a visit next year if you are in the area.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me why we refer to the process as 'weathering' rather than 'soiling'. It just wouldn't be the same if you announced 'I've just soiled my Sherman'.....