Kinetic 1/72 C-17A

falcon

According to their Facebook page it has been delayed again due to the Hobby Boss 1/32 bomber releases, they figure there won't be enough money around to spend on another big kit for a while.. They are working on other stuff that will bring in more funds in the short term. I believe you won't see this kits until at least the end of next year now.

Some Kinetic Facebook page quotes back in May

C-17 still a long way to go. First the structural design need to be redesign as we don't have experience in the 'weight' of the wing and other parts before. Second, the 2018-2019 business condition is not too good for big price tag item (we have Lancaster, B-24 in 1/32 on the market in last 3 months!). We need time for modeler like you to recover the money! As long as we "activ(at)e" the pre-order at LuckyModel, that means it is on the work bench already.

and later in the same thread replying to a comment from someone suggesting it will never be released

as a consumer you do not need to understand. But from the business position the buying power from the consumer has a limited budget within a period, therefore when the market has similar price tag item released, the buying power will be reduced. So we do not think this year is a good time to release the subject. As also the global market is affected by the US/China trade issue as well as Brexit, the consumer spending emotions may be affected. At the end the C-17 still going on the roadmap and it just need the right time to roll out. Just like our F-18 it takes 7 years from planning to release.

So expect it to be at least another year or two. In effect, other releases have been brought forward to bring in cash. Larger subjects like this are being pushed back until the international trade issue with China and Brexit are sorted by the sounds of it.

Hmm, i don´t understand what it has common 1/32 Lancaster or Liberator from HK and HB/Trumpeter with C-17 from Kinetic ? Liberator is piece of crap and parody of this important type and Lancaster from HK isn´t competitor for WnW master piece. So last - who make 1/32 scale, probably don´t make small scale. I for C-17 wait, at last year i bought all 1/72 scale - without modern heavy bombers as Victor, B-2 Spirit and Tu-160. Simple - 1/72 scale jet bombers are still big (and Blackjack is simple gigantic)... Only competitors for C-17 are Modellcollect with their B-52 series...maybe...

8 minutes ago, AlCZ said:

Hmm, i don´t understand what it has common 1/32 Lancaster or Liberator from HK and HB/Trumpeter with C-17 from Kinetic ?

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

as a consumer you do not need to understand.

Phew, that was lucky! :lol:

I think what they're trying to say is that their experiences as a kit producer leads them to believe that release of big ticket items that will cause some people to break scale (not you though) has led them to notice that after these types of releases there is a vacuum leading to poor sales of big ticket items.  We wouldn't see it of course, but that's what they've seen and it sounds reasonable.  Not everyone is minted, and not everyone sticks to one scale religiously. :shrug:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlCZ said:

Liberator is piece of crap and parody of this important type -  Not having seen it the model in the plastic, I have seen no review saying it is world shatteringly awful or even merely a parody..

and Lancaster from HK isn´t competitor for WnW master piece - Not having seen the WnW model in the plastic I could not comment....but then nor have you.  Would suspect whether it is a competitor it will come down to what you want to pay.  A lotta money or a lotta lotta money.

As for what else Kinetic say about room in the market for only space for x amount of expensive/large kit releases in one period, makes absolute sense.  I guess that every release is a gamble for a manufacturer and the bigger and more expensive the release to produce the bigger the gamble.  Why would you release it when you think the market has coughed up for its big ticket items for the year ?

Liberator haven' t a for this aircraft typical wing profile... angle of wing is totaly wrong. This kit is relative cheap - but very innacurate.

On HK Lanc is here a lot reaction... WnW have minimal better surface. I wait for P.J. gem...

I do think they are right with respect to a limited market for very expensive models hitting the market all at one time.  But they also are right that in times of financial uncertainties ( which China is experiencing) lower cost kits represent a great opportunity with lower risk.  In my own mind Eduard was brilliant to have come up with the weekend edition idea to boost their sales.  I hope other manufacturers look at this as an opportunity and figure out their own unique ways to bring more value to the modeling community.

Edited by Harold55
Spelling

Ultimately it's Kinetic's business to run and make decisions to release oe not release a kit based on whatever criteria or whims they may choose. However I question the stated logic that there is only room in the market for a select number of "big ticket" releases at any given time. 

Even for the casual market (which probably makes up the majority of actual sales) there doesn't seem to be a significant overlap in demand for a 1/72 modern transport vs. a 1/32 WWII bomber. The only common denominators are (a) they're airplanes, and (b) their approximate price point [presumably high]. By that metric, there's a multitude of potential competitors being released every year (1/24 fighters, 1/350 capital ships, 1/16 armor, etc).

If the manufacturers are going to announce a kit and then bury it for years, the least they can do is be polite to their customer base rather than spouting disengenuous excuses and saying "it's not for you to know."

• Like 3

I think what Kinetic or their parent company is trying to say is that for them, they cannot afford to spend the funds required to develop another large model at the present time. Given they are based in China they are maybe concerned over a number of economic issues that could have a serious effect on their business. 

1 hour ago, CT7567 said:

Ultimately it's Kinetic's business to run and make decisions to release oe not release a kit based on whatever criteria or whims they may choose. However I question the stated logic that there is only room in the market for a select number of "big ticket" releases at any given time. 

Even for the casual market (which probably makes up the majority of actual sales) there doesn't seem to be a significant overlap in demand for a 1/72 modern transport vs. a 1/32 WWII bomber. The only common denominators are (a) they're airplanes, and (b) their approximate price point [presumably high]. By that metric, there's a multitude of potential competitors being released every year (1/24 fighters, 1/350 capital ships, 1/16 armor, etc).

If the manufacturers are going to announce a kit and then bury it for years, the least they can do is be polite to their customer base rather than spouting disengenuous excuses and saying "it's not for you to know."

I think that makes more sense than the manufacturers comment. Not everyone is going to buy all of the big ticket items. Some might ( for example)  have no interest in any of the 1/32 bombers but, would be very much interested in a large 1/72 transport.

I think it's pretty arrogant, if not actually patronising to simply say (as Kinetic has) that " it's not for us to know ".

Granted, it is their decision but, speaking as a mere customer who does not need to know, I would suggest there is room for a 1/72 C-17 especially as the other named kits are not even being produced  by Kinetic

Allan

13 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

I think it's pretty arrogant, if not actually patronising to simply say (as Kinetic has) that " it's not for us to know ".

Many things are lost or misconstrued in translation. Their grasp of English may not be the best, but it's way above my efforts in Mandarin or Cantonese.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Many things are lost or misconstrued in translation. Their grasp of English may not be the best, but it's way above my efforts in Mandarin or Cantonese.

Fair point!👍

Allan

That doesn't surprise me.  Anything other than tactical aircraft has an uphill fight in the marketplace.  Especially in the large, expensive scales.  And the point about this year being flooded with high-dollar kits is true.  

On 9/22/2019 at 5:39 PM, Jordi said:

On permanent hold from what I am given to understand.  I think Kinetic realized that they would likely lose their shirts on such a kit.

Which I think can possibly be translated as "effectively dead in the water"!

Allan

• 2 years later...

Expected now in 2023 - ref. 72003 - McDD C-17A Globemaster III

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Kineticmodel/posts/pfbid09aYYmaW435d998V25ynkjUinArH2b7xo4zMahStLN66KgLaYJaEQyJbRCTRA6JkDl

Hello Dear Friends,

Its time for one of the most important Model Events of the world. The IPMS NATIONALS begin, this year, the home base is Omaha, Nebraska.

And the Kinetic Model is proud to announce two completely new releases for your Gold Series.

The first one is something that you all asked for since we announce the development of this kit, years ago. Yes, It's time... Our 72003 - C-17A Globemaster III in 1/72 scale is on the final tooling process and coming soon will reach the market with many possibilities. Estimated Release: 2023.

If you are going to IPMS NATS, visit our table and we will be happy to tell you more about it.

Boxart by Antonis Karydis

Decals by Model City Artworks

Box art

294596966-2208963059270793-3229608936580

Source: http://airliner-models.org/forum/topic/19069-новинки-2023/?do=findComment&comment=165456

IMG20230225121729-thumb-jpg-4b0d80c84cf4

IMG20230225121726-thumb-jpg-fd149e8c70dd

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Great news. I had messaged them last year during the Afghanistan withdrawal, and they said it was still in progress. Nice to have an official goal so things can really move forward. 

Hopefully their kit will have decals for 01-0186, or an aftermarket company can make some, as that aircraft became quite newsworthy. 

A T-1 first flight conversion would be cool too

21 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Any idea on it's cost? I doubt I'll get one since I have so many needing to be built but would sure like one.

Got a spare kidney?

Or know someone who has?

Might help...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Any idea on it's cost? I doubt I'll get one since I have so many needing to be built but would sure like one.

One of my local model shops (Model behaviour in Sudbury for East Anglian viewers) is taking pre-orders with an indicative price of 200GBP, which as they say is a big headline, but you're going to get a whole lot of kit (I'd call it fun) for your money! 

• Like 1

I'm not getting one (wrong scale), but I would be curious what the actual sales figures are like.  I just don't see how this is a strong seller. What's the real overlap between those that have the money, like the subject and have the space?

If it meets Kinetics expectations maybe they would be willing to pony up for some other large kits.  A 1/48 P-8 Poseidon would be about the same wingspan

2 minutes ago, J.C. Bahr said:

Which one was that?... last one out?

Most people in a plane, I think

• Like 1