Polikarpov I-5, 1941

Just finished this one for the Great Patriot War GB, and build thread can be found here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002587-polikarpov-i-5/

This ICM 1/72 kit was built straight from the box, but did add a Quickboost control stick (from the I-153 set), along with brass rods for some details, and some light bombs cobbled from another kit.

27428935323_85c3ee006a_b.jpg

This early 1930's fighter was pressed back into service to replace losses suffered during the opening stages of Operation Barbarossa. While factories geared up to produce modern equipment, the I-5 would be employed mainly in the ground strike role.

27428940423_53f00b581c_b.jpg

27428936293_fe30d7ef78_b.jpg

27428937363_a6b1bd3ed8_b.jpg

27428941853_8bcce98576_b.jpg

27428939553_a2006ded95_b.jpg

27965280691_8c43187925_b.jpg

27428943963_450a68b160_b.jpg

27428938843_d3719980d0_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 35

Great! - this is the only one painting scheme I know for I-5 from war time. I am gonna follow you one day with exactly the same machine... :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Brilliant job on this little Polikarpov! Like J-W, I intend on doing this particular machine, or one very similar to it, one day (I have the kit).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Hello Jerzy, Stew, Jason, Alpha Delta 210, Michael, JMW, Teeradej, stevej60, occa, and MikeR. Thanks kindly for all your comments, much appreciated.

There really doesn't seem to be much of anything out there concerning the scheme(s) used on the I-5 during wartime. There is this set of profile artwork,

akl201001_1.jpg

... and is interesting to compare the bottom one with ICM's scheme. It appears to have both a larger fuselage star and number 6, while the red atop the rudder is absent.

I did come across this photo, captioned as "... pilots of the 11th Air Assault Regiment of the Black Sea Fleet on the airfield Baidary frontline near Sevastopol discussing sortie at gunship I-5 bis. Winter 1941 - 1942."

i_5.7rshq0oy13wg0oowo4c4kg88k.ejcuplo1l0

It does look to possibly have a darker (black?) cowl ring? I also tried doing a general aircraft search on the 11th Air Assault Regiment for some possible marking ideas, but came up empty.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2

Jack, by long, and sometimes bitter experience, I can tell you that profiles of GPW aircraft are to be taken with a grain of salt. It's always best to work from photographs, which unfortunately for the I-5, seem to be lacking for the GPW. In this case I would tend to believe ICM, as they evidently did their homework with this little kit.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Jack - thanks for I-5 profile and photo. There is another WWII machine on profile indeed - from school and from1939, so time of war with Poland and Finland, not exactly "Great and Patriotic.... I found photo of machine from ICM box, I hope the link is working:

http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,269787001,var,SovietRussian-Biplane-Fighter-Aircraft-POLIKARPOV-I-5-the-30ies-PLANE,language,E.html

So there is some different then camo colour on top of fin there :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Andy, thanks very much fort that.

Jason, thank you - and I forgot to mention, even in my build, that I followed your suggestion of applying flat black to the upper half of the prop blades in the rear. Can just make this out on the last photo of my build.

Jerzy, no problem but I think the colour artwork is from the same book you had linked. Thanks for posting this, I never noticed the additional link to photos, but it definitely appears to be the source of ICM's inspiration. Here too there seems to be some possible discussion for a darker cowl ring.

001_002.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2

A terrific rendering of this somewhat neglected aircraft. Great weathering on the fabric. It has a certain resemblance to the Gladiator from some angles.

• Like 1

Thank you Steve and Meatbox8.

Yes, some similarities to the Gladiator, but likely attributed to the era these machines appeared in. Don't think the I-5 had any influence over the Gloster design. They did share Bristol engines, but of different types.

regards,

Jack

Thank you Steve and Meatbox8.

Yes, some similarities to the Gladiator, but likely attributed to the era these machines appeared in. Don't think the I-5 had any influence over the Gloster design. They did share Bristol engines, but of different types.

regards,

Jack

Yes, I agree. Totally coincidental likeness.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2016 at 5:20 PM, Learstang said:

Jack, by long, and sometimes bitter experience, I can tell you that profiles of GPW aircraft are to be taken with a grain of salt. It's always best to work from photographs, which unfortunately for the I-5, seem to be lacking for the GPW. In this case I would tend to believe ICM, as they evidently did their homework with this little kit.

Regards,

Jason

Jason & Jack 

I have bumped on interesting set of WWII time photos of I-5:

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=2305.0

There are some with a complex scheme!

Besided in set of 464 photos of Soviet machines there are some more (Nos 171, 383 for instance)

I am doing now I-5 as well :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1