Planned Conversion – Airfix FAA Whirlwind HAR Mk I to RAF Whirlwind HAR 10.

Testerchild

Hi All,

I recently (last summer) bagged a bagged issue of the old Airfix Westland Whirlwind HAR Mk I and a Rotorcraft HAS9 conversion set for the Italeri kit. I do not have the Italeri kit but would like to finish the Airfix kit as a HAR10 of 22 Squadron. Would this be possible using the Rotorcraft HAS9 set, or is the HAS9 set completely wrong for the HAR10? What were the visible differences between the two varieties, and if so what do I need to do? I have searched the web but cannot find anywhere that compares the two types.

I am already aware of the following alternative conversion sets:

1. Airwaves SC72123 Westland Whirlwind HAS.9 conversion;

2. Airwaves AC72171 Westland Whirlwind HAS.22 (PE set).

3. Heritage Models Whirlwind MK-10T Tropical Nose: from the images I’ve seen is ONLY the nose cone, and that for the tropical version (if that’s any different).

4. Whirlybird WPX72048 is a 22 Sqn HAR 10 conversion for the ‘final rescue’ which is a “Beautiful casted Resin kit. vacuform windows, P/E set for details. Nice decal sheet” according to Aviation Megastore, but at around 70 Euros is not only a bit pricey but also out of stock there.

My Rotorcraft HAS9 conversion includes a replacement ‘bent’ tail-boom and rotor, a replacement floor, a replacement nose and a couple of smaller pieces all in resin, and a PE detail set as well as a choice of RN decals. Could I adapt this with a little work? Any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance
Bob

I don't think you would be able to use the HAR 9 conversion to make a HAR 10, the HAR 9 has a trough in the bottom of the fuselage

to accommodate a torpedo as the HAS 9 was a conversion from the HAS 7, the HAR 10 doesn't have this also there are some differences

around the nose regarding the air intake for the engine

IMGP2760_zps1kxacgsg.jpg

IMGP2763_zpsbjxuqyyu.jpg

IMGP0087_zps1kv4rnk8.jpg

IMGP0532_zps5hoxiqzh.jpg

IMG_0220_zpsgridfzuk.jpg

IMGP0532_zps5hoxiqzh.jpg

IMGP2786_zpsevkznpzz.jpg

the tropical nose I believe was a bolt on replacing the front of the nose, I've posted some pictures

that may of some help to you, best of luck.

Willy

These comments may be unwise without closer inspection, but I'd have thought it possible carry out the conversion by omitting the change to the belly. This omits consideration of differences to the nose, but this may be clear to you with the parts in your hand and the photos above.

However, IIRC, the Airfix kit has some scale problems, possibly just the rotor diameter (it has been a long time since I considered it). I do recall that people found it easy enough to dip the tail boom and modify it appropriately, but I never actually tried it and you've got the parts anyway. Bulged side window(s) and a winch would be required.

Dolphin38 and Graham,

Thanks for the pic's and advice. I'll take Graham's advice re the underbelly, bulged windows and winch and see if I can take Dolphin's advice re the nose using the pic's. I'm no expert modeller, but I'll have a go anyhow.

Thanks - Much appreciated.

Bob

Willy,

Thanks for that! The book is now on my next to buy list.

Cheers

Bob