Canadair Argonaut Conversion

xvtonker

.....it is justa matter of time and their will be a Carvair kit! That is all I can say for now..... :)

Ivo

I've sown the seed with Neil at AIM72 for a 1/72 Carvair conversion, so watch this space.

XVTonker

I've sown the seed with Neil at AIM72 for a 1/72 Carvair conversion, so watch this space.

XVTonker

I'd be tempted to buy two if I could exercise Aer Lingus and Channel Air Bridge options. I have a 1/200 diecast of G-ANYB, Golden Gate Bridge.

Edited by JosephLalor

XVTonker

Tooling is already in progress.... Well, seems like we will have the opportunity to chose..... Always better to have too much then nothing. :yahoo:

When the Mach2 DC4 came out I bought 2 from the well known auction site and found the Paragon Lincoln Conversion,that also offered Merlin Engine conversions in 2 types for the said Mach 2 Kit.I never built them as the DC4 but converted them ,some years ago now,as a British Midland Canadair4 Argonaut and a BOAC Argonaut.recently I found a resin Carvair Conversion that I already posted on BM,but it may be available elsewhere,providing no idiot packs it irreverently and puts it in a jiffy bag without any protection.Thus I received it and attached it to another Mach 2 Kit I had found skulking around at a Toy Fair at a well known Race Course!!.I attach as they have the correct windows!!DSCF4637.jpgDSCF4638.jpgDSCF4431.jpgDSCF4430.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I also built a 1/72 MACH2 DC-4 and used the engine nacelles from a FROG Shackleton MR.3 to convert it to an Argonaut, finishing it in British Midland Airways livery. The nacelles seemed to be exactly the same as those being offered by AIM.

Edited by AMB

I can see a diorama featuring a British United Carvair, Front door open with Oric Goldfinger's Rolls Royce about to be loaded.

A British Midland Argonaut would be a nice addition,having a set of decals from the old VHF supplies means I'll be getting a set of Engines.Thankfully the sheet is for G-ALHY and not HG wich was written off.Of course, the Argonaut was the aeroplane that returned a Young princess Elizbeth from Kenya on the death of her father to become Queen.

Does anybody have any information on the Balair DC 4 version Revell were due to release this Year?From the advance publicity, it is due to have a full set of  seating.Hats of to Revell if it does it is a shame Airfix did not do it with there Dan Air Dakota.

On 4/11/2016 at 9:23 AM, jyguy said:

Does anybody have any information on the Balair DC 4 version Revell were due to release this Year?From the advance publicity, it is due to have a full set of  seating.Hats of to Revell if it does it is a shame Airfix did not do it with there Dan Air Dakota.

Yes, civil version of the C-54 has completely different interiors. From cockpit bulkhead till end of fuselage, it futures seats, overhead bins, baggage storage and kitchen. For dimensions and layout, it was used as reference le C-54 in Lelystad (Holland) museum.....

On 4/11/2016 at 6:01 PM, Graham Boak said:

Well, I'd quite like an Argonaut conversion with BOAC transfers in 1/144.

Graham, engines in 1/144 scale do already exist. 

BZ4047-Northstar-01-800.jpg

BZ4048-Northstar-01-800.jpg

BZ4049-Northstar-01-800.jpg

Cheers,
Ivo

• 3 weeks later...

Now if you want something really different based on the DC-4/North Star , there is the Canadair C-5.  Only one built for 412 Sqn RCAF as the answer to "air Force One".  It was a DC-4M/North Star fuselage with DC-6 wings, engines and landing gear and DC-6 horizontal tail.

This 1:72 model built from French kit about 30 years ago was brush painted.  I removed fuselage plastic from ahead of and behind the wing to shorten the beast as per the book North Star.

Barney

CanadairC-5-1.jpg

CanadairC-52-1.jpg

• Like 2

Brilliant Barney. Looks great. Thanks for the "learn something new everyday" moment with that info. Never heard of the C-5 before. (apart from the Galaxy and Sinclair's electric thing!)

Barney That is nice! I was wondering how easy it would be to cross kit the Minicraft kits of the -4 and -6 to make the C-5. I know decals are available from Canmilair so no worries there. In fact I may well have a go at seeing the feasability as I have both types in my stash.

34 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Barney That is nice! I was wondering how easy it would be to cross kit the Minicraft kits of the -4 and -6 to make the C-5. I know decals are available from Canmilair so no worries there. In fact I may well have a go at seeing the feasability as I have both types in my stash.

Paul, the wing mounting is different between the two Minicraft kits.   It is a case of just shortening a DC-6 to get the C-5;    It saves changing the nacelles of the C-54, as they are corrrect on the DC-6

DSC04459.jpg

Dsc04955_zps4140702f.jpg

Edited by Tony Edmundson

2 minutes ago, Barneydhc82 said:

Very nice Tony!.  Paul; I don't remember the amount required to shorten the fuselage but Tony looks like he nailed it.  One small mod was to add a 4th window to the rear fuselage.

Barney

Thanks Barney,    the sections to take out are 34mm ahead of the wing and 17mm behind; all in 1/72.       For 1/144 it's half of that.

Cheers, Tony

• 4 weeks later...