Canadair Argonaut Conversion

xvtonker

Neil Gaunt of Aim72 has announced a 1/72 scale conversion for the Revell C-54 to allow the Canadair North Star or civilian Argonaut.

Release is expected in the next few weeks.....:-)

XVTonker

• Like 5

Neil sent me the following picture showing the parts included in the conversion. The engines are in resin with white metal props and exhaust stacks.

Argonaut.jpg

The kit includes different exhaust stacks for the original Canadair North Star, RCAF & BOAC variants

XVTonker

• Like 3

Nice,

but what about the windows for a BOAC Argonaut?

modelldoc

From what Neil's saying, they will be included as decals if the builder doesn't want to reshape the kit windows to square.

XVTonker

xvtonker, on 05 Jul 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Neil sent me the following picture showing the parts included in the conversion. The engines are in resin with white metal props and exhaust stacks.

Argonaut.jpg

The kit includes different exhaust stacks for the original Canadair North Star, RCAF & BOAC variants

XVTonker

But apparently not the TCA crossover version :(

But apparently not the TCA crossover version :(

Since I received this information Neil has advised me that there will be three conversions for each of the TCA, RCAF & BOAC variants so that should keep you happy Jessica..

XVTonker

xvtonker, on 13 Jul 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

Since I received this information Neil has advised me that there will be three conversions for each of the TCA, RCAF & BOAC variants so that should keep you happy Jessica..

XVTonker

That just may require me to reward him with some of my hard-earned cash :)

Do you now if he's going to issue fill parts for the locations of the nacelle intakes and oil coolers?

I've been on 'LHJ, the BOAC appo trainer and flew on another BOAC Argonaut when I was 3 or 4, no idea what the reg was but remember the flight.

I just found this site with a bunch of enthusiasts renovating an RCAF kite. Wizards and Merlins ! Great name.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/210/Wizards-and-Merlins--the-Restoration-of-a-Canadair-North-Star.aspx

Edited by bzn20

Please make it LHJ.

A note to BZN20, whilst we were called many things, "appo" wasn't one of the them. Of the more printable names, a common collective term was "apparenti"

We were Appos! RAF. You and I used the same RAF APs 3278A and 4302, Airframe training manuals,if you were Airframes . My dad used to bring them home from the Cranebank "appo" training school. Like I was going to read those on leave. BTW he took BOAC appos (your name is too long!) for safety precautions ,I think.

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but as apprentice I never heard the term "Appo", and even when I went back to work at the Apprentice Training School I didn't come across the name. As for the APs, I wouldn't know because, in HMS Cranebank terminology I was a "greenie", .

Any way let's hope the markings are for LHJ, if only to mark its contribution to aviation training.

• Like 1

I took some photos of LHJ in 1967/68 when it was on the grass between BOAC and BEA hangars but might have been a bit nearer to where the BMI hangar was built,on the BOAC side of the road. I managed to get a look around it,doors open,nobody around...Game on ! Hopefully (photos) they'll turn up sometime been looking for them for ages. I'll give you a shout when they do !