Paint Info for Tamiya 1/700 KGV

dauntless

Having been an a rookie aviation modeller I am about to start a Tamiya 1/700 waterline King George V.

I am after some guidance on the hull colours (none camouflage)version and wooden deck colours from mainstream paint manufacturers, I use Humbrol, Tamiya, Vallejo and Revell acryllics, a point in the right direction from my learned peers would be gratefully received.

As this is my first warship kit since childhood I am using this project as a learning curve.

Regards Dauntless

From the reference section on my site:

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/british-royal-navy-colour-schemes'>https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/british-royal-navy-colour-schemes

HMS King George V

As depicted in Tamiya kits

Admiralty Standard Camouflage Scheme A:

Vertical Surfaces—G.45 Warm Light Grey

Blue panel on hull—B.20 Medium Blue-Grey

Steel decks & walkways—G.10 Dark Grey

Wood decks—Teak

Boot-topping & Funnel Caps—Black

Underwater hull—RN Antifouling Red

Hope this helps :)

As Jamie has said, you're best using Colourcoats if you want to use Enamels but if you want Acrylics the best ship ones are Lifecolor. You'll find Lifecolor to be similar to Vallejo but perhaps brush on even better. Lifecolor do 2 RN paint sets, one of which has the B20 for the hull panel and they do other colours in their range that are close to some RN colours.

You'll need Lifecolor UA634 for the B20, UA208 for the G10 and UA099 for the G45. I use UA612, which is in one of the German sets, for wooden decks. You won't need an underside colour as it's a waterline kit, so just paint the edges of the waterline plate Black. I would however, recommend at least getting the 1st Lifecolor RN paint set as it has the 3 basic Greys used by the RN early in the war plus 3 common later camouflage colours.

I use mostly Lifecolor acrylics (or Akan) for ship painting but use Colourcoat enamels if the colour isn't available in acrylic.

thanks

Mike

Thanks for the replies, I have a lot to learn, this warship lark is confusing at first but I am slowly getting my head around it, I will check out Sovereign Colour Schemes and Lifecolour paints asap.

I have liked your FB page Mike.

Cheers