T-70M, Miniart 1/35 light tank

I've very nearly finished my airfield starter, and am planning my next build.

Another GAZ project, this time with tracks ...

gpw_t70m_000.jpg

I may regret the choice, since there are over 100 individual track links to assemble.

Oh, and I've just ordered some brass for this (I hate brass :mental:)

The kit includes 5 crew members and decals covering five vehicles for December 1942 through Spring 1943.

The crew are in winter coats that have shoulder boards (appropriate to 1943-45). I'm not sure how early those coats would have been issued, or whether they can be adapted to suit winter '42/'43?

Edited by Robert Stuart
  • Like 4

I'll be following this one. I have something of a penchant for light tanks and armoured cars.

Thanks Foxbat, you are welcome.

I think I have the beginning of an answer to my question about the crew (above)

The Bekesha winter coat (sometimes referred to as a tulup) was issued as a military garment in 1931.

http://www.13thguardspoltavaskaya.com/misc.html

That may be as simple as removing the shoulder boards

I just came across this image on the Warrelics forum, in this thread http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/uniforms-insignia-rkka-red-army-soviet-army/fur-coat-ww2-40153/

Armour troops in bekeshas

326358d1333219917-fur-coat-ww2-tank.jpg

The officer on the right is in a pre-1943 great-coat with rank insignia, and I can not see any insignia on the sheep-skin coats.

• Like 1

Nice looking project Robert, nice to have a little more armour.

Thanks Ozzy, yes, though I have a more than a few appropriate aircraft in my stack.

This one should be in here, according to some sources, at one stage the T-70 & T-70M population was second only to the T-34.

The obligatory sprue shots:

gpw_t70m_001.jpg

gpw_t70m_002.jpg

This was sold as second hand, but the inner wrapper was unbroken, and all parts seem to be there - indeed, I think I have parts for both early and late T-70M's

One track guard was detached, it looks OK, so no problem there and I may replace it with brass.

One track link is broken, but, provided I don't break too many myself, I have about thirty spare links.

Now, do I want to replace that gun barrel? The barrel here is blind (no holes), and I think Jordi Rubio (?) make aluminium barrels for the T-70.

• Like 3

The T-70 is new to me, so I will be watching with interest!

Cliff

You are very welcome Cliff.

I'm not sure if you followed this link http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/uniforms-insignia-rkka-red-army-soviet-army/fur-coat-ww2-40153/ , but there are a couple of photos of Aerosani (?sp.) there

FTW? I had to look that up ...

Confused the heck out of me the first few times I saw it used in the modern sense, but then I'm an old biker and much of the modern world leaves me scratching my head :D

Andy

I've been racking my brains trying to remember the server we used to pretty much live on, there was quite a gang of us (many originally from Worcester quite coincidentally).....But that's probably for a different forum. :winkgrin:

• 4 weeks later...

I've been away for a bit, and then stalled because I needed to get some primer - but theres some progress now.

The model as it is ...

gpw_t70m_003.jpg

And two views, dry fitted

gpw_t70m_004.jpg

I'm not sure, yet, if this character will be assigned to the vehicle, but he does help give a sense of scale.

gpw_t70m_005.jpg

Had a disaster with a mug of tea this morning and can see some collateral damage on the gun mantle - a quick wipe down should cure that.

• Like 3

Which did wonders for its performance in battle. :fraidnot:

PS - Nice lift rings! :thumbsup:

Well, there's an interesting story on Wikipedia about a T70 knocking out two Panthers, and stopping a German column, under combat history here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-70. But I'm afraid you are right Sgt, that was exceptional.

I cannot claim credit for the lifting loops, those are kit parts, but thanks Sgt.

Progress, I've addded some etch, the biggest bits cover the engines, and am beginning to paint the tank.

gpw_t70m_007.jpg

gpw_t70m_008.jpg

gpw_t70m_010.jpg

gpw_t70m_009.jpg

I was surprised to see Mini-Art have moulded a hole into the gun muzzle (soft foucus at the bottom of this image). Before building, the barrel appears to lie parallel with the sprue, but they must've used a slide mould to achieve the hole.

• Like 4