1/144 American Airlines Boeing 727-200

Here's one for our US visitors!

This is my 5th Authentic Airliners 727-200 and it's been in primer and on my shelf for ages.

The decals are Liveries Unlimited and I've had them for over 20 years! They went on well and fitted the nose contours perfectly.

Paint is Mr Metal Color Chrome Silver 211 with Mr Color 315 for the Boeing 707 grey areas. Leading edges are Humbrol 27002 Polished Aluminium. Windows and windshields are from Authentic Airliners.

Although not obvious in the pics some panels are Authentic Airliners High Shine Silver Metallic Decals especially most of the tail panels. I found these invaluable covering up areas of the fuselage where the paint had worn away from handling too much during decalling and detailing.

I was inspired to complete this after seeing Skodadriver's recent Tulpar Air Yak 42 "stroll off the beaten track". I don't normally do models of airliners which I have had no relationship with ie seen in the past or present, or flown in but for some reason I've always had a hankering to do an AA 727-200.

We had a few sunny spells earlier so I thought I'd get it photographed!

34915419914_244b60f409_o.jpg

35715861546_174ba87a56_o.jpg

34915416174_d9bf951055_o.jpg

35587127992_0e07ac73d2_o.jpg

35715862876_c4f700227e_o.jpg

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
Reuploaded images
  • Like 36

Wow Ian that really is fantastic! Love the weathering particularly around the main cabin door. :thumbsup:

I've no idea why but in over 20 years of modelling airliners I've never built a 727-200. I might just place an order with Kurt in the not very distant future!

Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Dave

Oooooh, that is nice. The different metallic hues, and greys that compose AA aircraft, not the easiest to get right in my book. Take a bow.

The AA 727 was my first flight within the US - New York to Detroit, and upon arrival the first time I ever saw snow falling - good memories.

Cheers,

Mike

Nice to see how well Mr.Color chrome silver works. Have the bottle in my stash but not yet tried. My first ever flight was aboard 727 when I was teenage. Boarding through rear stairway was an unforgettable moment. Beautiful model Ian.

Edited by Teeradej

Such a classic look! AA 727 in that beautiful scheme. Not an easy one to get right, but you've shown us all how to do it Ian.

Cheers

John

Fantastic,great paint job,superb,outstanding,brilliant.........run out of superlatives.

Brings back memories of JFK and LAX.

Deserves saying again ........

Fantastic,superb,outstanding,brilliant.........excellent,first class.

Well done !

Edited by bzn20

That last picture could be of the real thing. The only thing that tells me it isn't real is the grass,your model is that good.

Oooohhh! Now that's gorgeous, what a beautiful metal finish, you've captured this scheme perfectly.

Rgds,

Eng

Didn't you just post pics of a real one ? :winkgrin: ....

Joke aside...you have done an outstanding job on this classic.Absolutely stunning :wow:

I wanted to do an American Airlines airliner in a long time but always backed out of it because of the all metallic finish.You show how its done

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for the praise everyone, I really appreciate it.

I agree about the AA colour scheme on this one some things just work and don't need to change.

Dave there are so many classic liveries out there you've just got to get one of Kurt's 727s or more, I don't think I'm finished with 727s yet!

Jessica my corrogard is a custom mix of 10 parts Humbrol 191 chrome silver to 1 part Humbrol 27003 gun metal, sprayed onto clear decal. You're right about the chameleon effect, I'd not noticed that before!

Alex don't be scared of natural metal finishes I love Mr Metal Color paints especially after a polish with some tissue. It's also easy to create slight variation polishing areas with some graphite dust.

Most of my weathering on the wings is achieved with a sharp, soft pencil wiped backwards with my finger. Nice and easy with the added bonus that if you're not happy with it it's easy to rub off!

Yes bzn20 I agree about the grass, I need to brush up on my grass modelling. It's too uniform and flat I think.

Who knows what I'll finish next I have a number on the bench, maybe an Ian Lingus 737-200.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...