Hi. First attempt at a work in progress so don’t expect to much! Not sure exactly what I’m doing with it but its a build inspired by Poo Dameron’s Helmet, Crashy, Skid lid, whatever you want to call it and by all you people on here who don’t stick to the norm and make things look a bit different.

poe-dameron-oscar-isaac-banner.jpg

So its getting a custom paint job with a Vellejo Metal colours and weathered to an inch of its life. So far its looking a little bit like Poo’s black Xwing, but i hope to make it look it a bit better by the end. Not sure my expert photography helps but here are some pics of my progress so far. Cheers

X-Wings

2016-06-29%2021.49.40.jpg

Flat Wings

2016-06-29%2021.50.19.jpg

Body

2016-06-29%2021.50.55.jpg

Poo Stick. Sorry … Poe on a stick.

2016-06-29%2021.52.03.jpg

The main bits I’ve already showed, bundled together.

2016-06-29%2021.54.33.jpg

Still finishing off the cockpit. Not gone bonkers with it as you will see. And have really struggled with getting the decals to sit their butts down around the intakes.

Edited by Orangesherbert
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn’t got to far by the time i took these photos. Added the decals. In the process of masking and adding the squadron wing markings. Am kinda thinking this could be like the prototype for the T-70. The T-70X. So its been around a bit and is looking a bit perturbed, but it did go into service, and for quite a long time. I can’t imagine there’s aerospace museums in star wars land so its not gonna be restored and looking all sparkly.

Going with a traditional nose colour just to add some contrast. Added some chipping on the fuselage sides.
IMG_3781_1.jpg
IMG_3782_1.jpg
Like i said, didn’t go crazy on Poe or the cockpit
IMG_3783_1.jpg
IMG_3784.jpg
Nothing much to see here just paint chipping done with Vallejo liquid mask, and the same picture twice.
IMG_3786.jpg
IMG_3786.jpg
At the moment I’m in the process of adding chipping to all the decal areas, painting the wing stripes, getting way ahead of myself as always weathering up the wing pods, canopy and yes, BB8 is done.
Pics to follow. Thanks for looking. Cheers.
  • Like 3

I try to do things methodically. Get all the paint done. Add some clear. Decals. Add some more clear. Wash. But it never works out like that does it. Ive not done it yet but i think I’m gonna have to employ some sort of checklist :)

Slowly getting somewhere with it. Where … i don’t really know. I kinda have a plan … i think
IMG_3788.jpg
IMG_3789.jpg
IMG_3790.jpg
IMG_3793.jpg
Then this happened. Tried to get clever. Bought some umbrol washes from the local model shop. Slathered it on. Tried to get it off. It came off but so did the paint. Small kylo Ren moment. Right, ill strip them back and repaint them. Then things just quite literally fell apart. Big Kylo Ren moment.
IMG_3794.jpg

Did they fall apart at the glue lines, or is this the dreaded "Bandai Vs enamel washes" reaction? I've heard & seen that the plastic Bandai uses isn't particularly fond of of the thinners used in enamel washes, and goes brittle. If it's just the glue, or lack thereof that's fallen apart, you've not done too badly :)

Did they fall apart at the glue lines, or is this the dreaded "Bandai Vs enamel washes" reaction? I've heard & seen that the plastic Bandai uses isn't particularly fond of of the thinners used in enamel washes, and goes brittle. If it's just the glue, or lack thereof that's fallen apart, you've not done too badly :)

I believe mike, its the dreaded bandai v enamel reaction. I'd heard it as well, but did i take any notice? Nope.

The engine just split randomly and the wee engine noggin just dropped off. I think i can save the situation.

Hopefully you can. Bit of a PITA either way tho. I've only used Ultimate washes on my Bandai stuff after hearing that, as they're water based so don't react with owt modelling related. :)

• Like 1

Hopefully you can. Bit of a PITA either way tho. I've only used Ultimate washes on my Bandai stuff after hearing that, as they're water based so don't react with owt modelling related. :)

Thats what i use, but like i said, tried to get clever. Didn't work.

:lol: it's ok we all do it. I dropped a new set of AMMO paints in my son's paddling pool this morning on the way to the workshop, so you'll have to guess which one it was when the reviews pop up ;)

• Like 1

That's bad luck with the engines. Hopefully you'll be able to fix them. The few times I've had problems with these kits it's been a situation like this, where I've slopped too much wash on and had it sitting on the surface for long periods. If you go fairly steady with the washes you should be fine. Having said that, I do think Humbrol washes can be more problematic than the AK/AMMO stuff. When I've used them in the past I've had problems with them not drying fully, and also damaging the underlying paint layers and as a result I don't use them anymore.

As an aside, I think it's a good idea with the Bandai kits to thin down the attachment pegs to give a looser fit on the parts (and then glue them too), as I think the very tight tolerances play a part in these issues. The spirit in the washes softens the plastic, and if the plastic's under tension from a tight joint it tends to split at the weakest point.

Andy

• Like 1

That's bad luck with the engines. Hopefully you'll be able to fix them. The few times I've had problems with these kits it's been a situation like this, where I've slopped too much wash on and had it sitting on the surface for long periods. If you go fairly steady with the washes you should be fine. Having said that, I do think Humbrol washes can be more problematic than the AK/AMMO stuff. When I've used them in the past I've had problems with them not drying fully, and also damaging the underlying paint layers and as a result I don't use them anymore.

As an aside, I think it's a good idea with the Bandai kits to thin down the attachment pegs to give a looser fit on the parts (and then glue them too), as I think the very tight tolerances play a part in these issues. The spirit in the washes softens the plastic, and if the plastic's under tension from a tight joint it tends to split at the weakest point.

Andy

And i just went and bought 2 brand new pots as well. Darn it.

Totally agree with theory though Andy. Very plausible. I will proceed with caution and not just fire a load of it on a part!

Cheers guys