F-4J Phantom, `Red Devil`s`, VMFA-232, Nam Phong RTAB

Hi Russ!

Weehhh, that looks like a big storm coming over Nam Phong. I hope the maintenance crew close the cockpit right in time. Absolute outstanding model, or is it reel? That is what I like here on Britmodeler, fantastic models from fantastic members, Congrats for another great F-4. Regards, Udo.

• Like 1

Hello,Russ - Well! What can I say?? "Phinescale Phantom Phettling at its Phinest !!". The Forum is showing such magnificent builds of my favourite aircraft and here is another treat to behold.Your hallmark superb building and finishing is complimented with a befitting display scene,A St.Louis Stunner! I love her. ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 2

Stunning model Russ, you say your relived to finish it, did it fight you as I've a couple to build and thought they were straight forward kits.

Thanks Colin, re the kit: if I built another one ( and I may ) I would do a few things differently, mainly putting spacers in the fuselage to stop it curling in when you attach the wings. It seems to fit when you test fit it but as soon as you let go it starts to curl in and leave big gaps. I had to wedge bits of clothes pegs down there through the open back end and secure them with Araldite Rapid. The same goes for the bit at the back end, it looks like it fits at first. I`d also reduce the height of the nose gear bay by about a millimetre to get the coaming to fit over the Pilots instrument panel later on. The nose didn`t fit great but its difficult to put spacers in the forward fuselage as the cockpit and nose gear bay are in the way, but better than having to fill and sand the huge step left otherwise and may make the nose fit better.

I also managed to drop it wrestling with the above which didn`t help but that`s my fault.

I`d also put a spacer between the wheel hub halves to stop them breaking off later when fitting them to the legs.

Speaking of which, I ignored the instructions and fitted the legs after assembly and weathering, which was fiddley but not impossible, but easier than fitting them after I broke the off ( which would have happened )

I`d also try and find away of adding the burner cans after assembly and painting.

If I`d have done all these things first it would`ve been a lot easier.

I`ll do another one some day now I know the pitfalls but not for a little while :hypnotised:

• Like 2

Superb looking F-4J, bravo!

My fully compliments, also the pics.... just wow!!

Oliver

• Like 1

Great piece of work. That first picture looks very moody indeed.

Top job and a great scheme. It's good to see a different load-out as well.

Phil

• Like 1