Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

You might find this interesting: http://www.modelfactoryhiro.com/new/en/archives/17917[/quote

Thanks! What an incredible model...:o!

That really is a work of art. The figure of Burt is interesting, I couldn't find any information on how he had made it. If not Burt's it would be good to see a record breaking motorbike here :)

Best regards

Tony

The Amy Johnson 'Jason' is ready and waiting now. In the meantime some other ideas are bouncing around in my head - Bleriot (my wife is a Flambards fan) , Amundsen or one of the various Everest firsts for a vignette, first Europeans in America, Australia etc

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yaay :thumbsup:  Thanks Enzo.

Thanks also to all you people that have put forward really wild and wonderful proposals for this GB!

Also to Alexsey (Pin) for a very gracious merger, and the very respectful way both sets of people came together. Strength in numbers :)

This will be great fun, we can all 'get our brains out of the wrapper'. 

Now I feel we should get some more people on board. Tell your friends/relatives/MP/fishmonger.

Meanwhile, please feel free to post unusual prototypes, firsts and record breakers here. There's not really a central web reference for this, so we can be a little, enthusiastic caucus.

All the best

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on reaching your quota Tony. While I'm too late to contribute to that achievement I'll nevertheless register my interest.  Kit likely to be a Schneider racer which doubled as a record holder: Supermarine S4, Curtiss RC3-2 or maybe a Mew Gull ..

• Like 1

Hello Greggles,

That's great :thumbsup: .

All great subjects and from my personal favourite era; the so called 'Golden Age'.

All you mentioned are beautiful aircraft. The Schneider Trophy engendered such stunning designs.

It's interesting to see you mention Jimmy Doolittle's aircraft. I would love to see a model of this.

It was gorgeous and for 1925, utterly groundbreaking. Powered aviation was so young, yet development and innovation seemed to be at a similar very high rate, to that of internet technologies between 1995 and 2005.

Welcome on board :)

All best regards

Tony

5 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I've since jumped the gun and had a go at the x-1, not so keen o n it now, had problems with paint, both the humbrol and revell oranges didn't go on well at all, whats a good basecoat for orange to stop it needing 5000 coats 

I swear by Alclad2 white primer. 

• Like 2

I would agree, the Alclad white is great stuff.

For orange or yellow it seems white works well, even a coat of Humbrol/Revell etc Matt white really helps.

Yellow, orange and red stripes really can be a pain in the derrière :S .

I didn't click 'like' Stu as I know what a pain this is. Many Spanish Civil War red bands and Polar 'International Orange' attempts have so far failed for me :( .

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

ATB

TonyT

PS: Enzo; what a beautiful Streak Eagle. :heart: .

22 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Greggles,

That's great :thumbsup: .

All great subjects and from my personal favourite era; the so called 'Golden Age'.

All you mentioned are beautiful aircraft. The Schneider Trophy engendered such stunning designs.

It's interesting to see you mention Jimmy Doolittle's aircraft. I would love to see a model of this.

It was gorgeous and for 1925, utterly groundbreaking. Powered aviation was so young, yet development and innovation seemed to be at a similar very high rate, to that of internet technologies between 1995 and 2005.

Welcome on board :)

All best regards

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Yes, such stunning design progress during that period.

Curtiss RC3-2 is indeed a special machine. Easily dismissed relative to the later Macchis & Supermarine monoplane racers for being burdened with those bi-plane wings. But closer attention reveals a true sportster. It's an interesting period too for the mixed modes of construction- fabric & wood & metal.

I have the R3C-2 in 1/48, with an upgrade by XS-models, and also the beautiful Noix kit.  I want to be confident I can do it justice, so need to cut my teeth again on something else first I feel ...

• Like 1

I just wanted to thank everyone for their votes so far in the poll :thanks: .

I had a good ponder, and we're not doing too badly; definitely in with a chance but we're clearly one of the GB proposals where *every single vote* could make or break our chance.

As of about 5 minutes ago, with just 4 more votes we would have made the top six!

This is one of the most inclusive proposals out there. Some stuff in here doesn't easily fit into other proposals, in fact some not at all.

We can build more than one thing in this group build. Want to build a Mirage? Build a record breaker or Prototype here.

A radial engine beastie? Same applies.

A Matchbox model? Choose a record breaker or prototype.

A ship or submarine; yes you can do that here.

A spacecraft? No problem.

A motorcycle? The title says it all and Burt will be smiling on that one.

Cars? Yup.

Figures: Mountaineers, Olympians, Polar pioneers.

Dioramas? See above; from the Moon to Antarctica to the Salt Flats to the ocean floor.

Spread the word folks and please keep the thread rolling. Our gallery contribution would be really quite amazing :) 

If you haven't voted yet already please do and for those that have, again many thanks,

TonyT

On 03/11/2016 at 7:50 PM, Pin said:

Come on, people, let's build something weird and unusual, apart from boring pile of Spitfires and Lancs!

VOTE OR DIE!!!!

;)

What he said.

We don't need many to just creep in :whip:!

Pies will be thrown! :pie: :tomato:

And jelly :jelly: :tomato:!

YOUR GB NEEDS YOU!

Vote or face extermination :dalek: !

:D 

Go on. Just one teensy vote. Just the one that you were going to squander on something really dull :confused: .

All the best

TonyT

• Like 2

Come on Tony make a bit of effort to sell this GB will you, honestly I hate it when people go at something half heartedly! :rofl:

cheers Pat

ps if willpower alone can get a GB chosen this one is a dead cert !

• Like 2

Well it's got my support, for whatever little that's worth - I voted for this one and also for Tony's SCW GB within hours of the poll opening. C'mon, folks - let's push them over the hump!

John

• Like 1

Thanks John and JohnT :) 

It looks like around 5 votes would be useful to get us over that 'hump'.

It would be a record for

me to complete one full stop, for a completed GB build there may have to be great fanfare, rounds of thunderous applause and a ticker tape parade! :D 

I know the poll will end  early if there isn't movement for a while, so for anyone else out of the 17,700 plus BritModellers that haven't cast a vote yet, please have a go.

Procrastination is by far the most effective thief of our time; modelling things is fun.

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is quite nail-biting!

The last time I looked, we, along with 3 other GB proposals were in 9th slot, All on 54 votes! :o !

So with just one more vote, we would have had a secure spot.

Now, I started this thread, this idea, one morning after watching some home movies and video of my wife's grandfather, Burt Munro.

If anyone shows us not to give up close to the end, it's Burt. Here's the first part of a good documentary on him:

We don't have any takers for an Indian Munro Special motorcycle yet.

I know we merged with Pin's existing thread on 'X and prototypes', so some may not know the background to how this other branch, on record breakers began; the personal inspiration.

Well, I've decided if we get through, I'll build a Munro Special, alongside my other planned builds :mental: !

I haven't built a model motorcycle in 36 years, the last one being a Tamiya Harley Davidson converted to an Electraglide.

This one will be lots of scratch!

Come on folks, land me in this 'family responsibility' scratch build nightmare! Go and give us a vote! :D 

You know you want to see the horror that is me trying to scratchbuild a mottor sikkle! :frantic: !

All the best

Cos we want to be the best.

TonyT

PS: For those that aren't familiar with Burt's world records or history:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Munro

http://www.ehayes.co.nz/Hayes-Motorworks-Collection/Burt-Munro-__I.517

Edited by TonyTiger66
Ps inserted
  • Like 1