1/72 AMT Kamov Ka-52 "Hokum B"

Busy with other matters today I have not got much done. I did however start on the fabrication of this blade aerial which is missing from this kit. The instructions provide full size drawings so I drew it out there first:

P1130555_zpsccjwv1o3.jpg

I am going to add a bar across the top but here's how it looks for now:

P1130556_zpsq8jq9sjd.jpg

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Today I have added some 0.3mm rod to the top of the blade aerial:

P1130557_zpsstdnbsa4.jpg

I have also made the replacement for the plastic blade aerial I removed on the underside:

P1130558_zpsdtdfkxj3.jpg

I got that fitted along with a protective Blu Tack buffer:

P1130559_zpsqvhepw0l.jpg

I then did a little airbrushing, giving the canopy a coat of the cockpit interior grey:

P1130560_zpsfwq29usd.jpg

As well as giving the rotors a light misting of matt varnish so as to preserve a slight satin sheen on the blades:

P1130561_zpskr5k336k.jpg

I think I have now run out of things to do on this. I don't want to proceed with primer until the PE set arrives from the Ukraine. I don't think much of it will be usable but I would rather wait to see exactly what it supplies.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Evening folks,

The PE for this arrived from the Ukraine a few days ago and as I've finished my Hs 132 I'm getting this build underway again. The PE is actually for the single seat Ka 50 so a lot won't be used as it won't fit but frankly I would have got it just for the wiper arm:

P1130693_zpswsuxxgdl.jpg

This door for the underside needs a significant degree of curvature so I rigged up my bending machine with an aluminium rod of the right sort of curvature, the Blu Tack helped with the fixturing process:

P1130694_zpsqbccapas.jpg

Here's how it looks in place:

P1130695_zpsjm14nixe.jpg

I tried to leave some of the fret on this tiny blade aerial to act as a mounting peg but it snapped off when I tried to unite it with its base plate. I'll leave it off for now as its a different colour from the fuselage:

P1130696_zpsqylxjy7o.jpg

Here is the base along with a few other pieces of PE applied:

P1130718_zps7xm80rmh.jpg

I started to make a rod based replacement for this antenna using 0.4mm rod:

P1130719_zpsg5eltkaz.jpg

I trimmed off part of the PE and got it ready for soldering like this:

P1130720_zpscmqfurwz.jpg

Here's the finished item:

P1130721_zps7to4cu6s.jpg

That was then installed on the underside:

P1130722_zpslfmimcqf.jpg

The last piece of the PE I'm using is the wiper but obviously I leave that off until right at the end:

P1130723_zpsv3kp7j5b.jpg

Next I reused one of my bending jigs to make some steps:

P1130724_zpsycme56gn.jpg

Here they are fitted:

P1130725_zpstmnfz64i.jpg

The final job of the day was to fix on the fins and then apply some primer:

P1130726_zpszeq2ddjz.jpg

That's a good place to stop as it can harden up overnight.

Bye for now

Nigel

• Like 9

I was at the East of Scotland model show yesterday so didn't get any work done and today I have been mainly repairing some of my models that got damaged by a really aggressive speed bump in Dundee. I have got a bit more done though, first I sanded the primer all over and corrected the odd highlighted flaw with a touch of filler:

P1130729_zps5hbvwx7r.jpg

Then I got some of the blue grey applied to the underside:

P1130730_zpswrcknwkh.jpg

That can harden up overnight and then it will be masked off in the morning.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 10

I was at the East of Scotland model show yesterday so didn't get any work done and today I have been mainly repairing some of my models that got damaged by a really aggressive speed bump in Dundee.

The color police will be watching even more closely now that you've called attention to yourself with your driving.

• Like 2

I have spent most of today masking the undersides ready for the base camouflage colour "Sandy Brown":

P1130734_zpsnjm5xj10.jpg

I got that applied but it has come out a bit rough in places:

P1130735_zps7ao3m3mr.jpg

I think I'll let it harden overnight and then sand all over and have another go.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Russian paint was a bit rough.

I saw the Mil 24 when it first came to the UK

in the early nineties. Eye opener! what a shed.

Then again, I saw U.S. Apaches in Germany in the

eighties and you could have used the paint as wet n dry.

• Like 3

It did not take too long to give it a thorough sanding all over using these tools in more or less this order, finishing with the fibre glass pencil:

P1130737_zps1puvvw4a.jpg

The finish was roughest in the most inaccessible areas such as between the engines and wings, I'm guessing because of the unfavourable airbrushing angle. That's where I had to resort to the fibre glass pencil. I think the paint was a bit too thick as well.

This time I thinned the paint a bit more and used self levelling thinner and got a much better result:

P1130738_zpsnmrqpuqi.jpg

I then spent the next four hours masking up for the second camouflage colour:

P1130742_zpsmuffaktd.jpg

Here it is after applying the khaki green:

P1130743_zpsb1fjgqvk.jpg

I bet you want to know what it looks like with the masking off - me too. As soon as it was touch dry I removed the masking:

P1130744_zps4qovf1e2.jpg

As you can see I have managed to rip of the top blade aerial, I think its better left off now until later in the build. The final stage of the colour scheme are some areas of black that I will start on tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 9

Dundee was good, I got two second and two third places in the competition. :thumbsup:

what diameter is the glass fibre pencil tip?

The tip on the one I used here is about 2mm in diameter. I also have a much chunkier one that is 8mm in diameter.

• Like 4

Today I got the masking for the black areas done with the help of two sandwich bags:

P1130747_zpsb12k20xc.jpg

This is how they came out along with the PE wiper:

P1130748_zpsrtbzqkp1.jpg

Now I could also remove the masking from the underside:

P1130749_zpsjkeetjlp.jpg

That done I applied a coat of Aqua Gloss:

P1130750_zpsnyimrtl3.jpg

Now all things are ready for decals in the morrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

Congratulations on Dundee :thumbsup2:! It's looking great, looking forward to decals and a bit of a reveal :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

I have had a full modelling day today and spent virtually all of it getting the decals applied. It was the stencils that took the time, all 117 of them:

P1130754_zpsgag23qny.jpg

The Begemot sheet certainly puts the kit's own decal sheet to shame and provides plenty left over for the spares box. Tomorrow I'll apply the final gloss coat and get on with final assembly, the finish line is in sight.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7