Brush Painting Wheels

TheFoolio

I'm struggling with finding the best approach for brush painting tank road wheels which have rubber rims - e.g. M3

It feels like painting the wheels and then the rubber whilst on the sprue is the best plan, but then you have to cut them off and then tidy up the where the sprue was attached and repaint without making a mess.

Does anyone have better ideas? Help!

I find painting wheels off the sprue is easier. This is especially true where they have quite prominent mould seams.

I use kebab/BBQ skewers from the Poundshop to mount them for painting. To allow for the different sizes of hole, I wrap the end of the skewer in masking tape. This gives a nice tight fit & less chance of falling off; a common complaint when using blu tak to secure them.

For the actual painting, do the centre of the wheel first, then the tyres. Thin your paint more than usual & allow it to flow around the tyre rather than painting it. The rim of the wheel will prevent it from messing up the paint you've already applied.

HTH

Patrick

Thanks, Dubster.

What about painting the wheels on the sprue and then putting them onto the skewers to paint the tyres?

That's really your personal choice. For myself, I begin painting once the wheels are cleaned up. Some have quite prominent mould seams & so the wheels need to be gripped tightly whilst employing the sanding stick. That grip can lead to rubbing off the previously applied paint.