1 72 Airfix BAe Harrier GR9A - Completed! (pg.20)

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

But hang on does that big round thing not go on the front?? Madness!! Soon you'll be telling me your building a plane that doesn't even need a runway.... :) 

:rofl: 

i have been following more jet builds of late and blame you for it, I have even bought one and put my name forward for two proposed GB's where I would build a jet... They must be contagious 

Yes they are :coolio:  :whistle: But my next build is going to have propeller(s) ... :poke: 

1 hour ago, jrlx said:

Hi Giorgio,

great to see this build progressing! Great detail and tips, as usual :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jaime

Cheers Jaime, thanks! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

:rofl: 

Yes they are :coolio:  :whistle: But my next build is going to have propeller(s) ... :poke: 

Cheers Jaime, thanks! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Next build you say! And possible multiple prop's! What a tease

Rob

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rob85 said:

Next build you say! And possible multiple prop's! What a tease

Rob

Multiple props or multiple aircrafts? Who knows? :winkgrin:

27 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Lovely work Giemme!

The chart is a very nice touch - although the pilot will be in for quite a shock when the moving map display fails and (reaching for the chart) he discovers a big hole where his diversion airfield should be!!! :).

Kirk

Thanks Kirk! :thumbsup: Yes, I think it could be quite a thrill, but I'd be in panic already at "moving map display fails" ... :o:chair:

Ciao

• Like 1

Good morning Giemme. Good to see more progress on this project and what excellent progress it is too. The cockpit is now amazingly well detailed thanks to your efforts! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fritag said:

The repainted cockpit sills look great to my eyes 

Then I'm fine :winkgrin: Thanks Steve :thumbsup: Good thing I bought that PE zoom set :coolio: 

Ciao

Monday, time for an update :) 

Most of my WE modelling time went into detailing the front and central wheel bays; there's quite an intricate plumbing in both of them, and I only tried to reproduce the main features.

Before that, I masked off the cockpit area:

cockpit57

cockpit58

One interesting bit in the front bay is the actuators for the bay doors: dry fit of the door to determine the correct position

frontbay1

and actuators scratch built from suitable brass pipe and steel rod

frontbay2

frontbay6

Another interesting feature is a sort of canvas cover in the front part of the same bay, which I tried to reproduce using some plastic card:

frontbay3frontbay4

Tamiya tape stuck on it and cut with a razor blade

frontbay5

Painted and dry-brushed, to give te idea of some sort of texture (needs a touch up in one corner, I just saw that form this pic)

frontbay7

frontbay8

I forgot to take pics of the other details I've added to the front bay, sorry :banghead: 

Main wheel bay: some holes added, for the pipes/cables pass through:

mainbay1

mainbay2

A mix of tin and copper wires :

mainbay3mainbay4

and here is the sub-assembly with the speed brake bay:

mainbay5

mainbay6

I have a few bits cleaned and ready for primer, now:

bits1

Comments welcome.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Nice update Giorgio, more very neat work. I do admire people like yourself that have the patience to detail wheelbays, something I don't have & why my models are always stuck to a base!

Keith

Thanks Keith :thumbsup: . Nobody is probably ever going to look down there, mine must be some form of sanity issue ... :frantic::winkgrin: 

Ciao

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Reckon so. :whistle:

Likes get along (not sure it's actually English, that - I was trying to translate an Italian expression) :D 

Ciao

• Like 1

Here are the missing pics about the front wheel bay details:

frontbay9

frontbay10

On a different subject: I've been scratching my head on how to reproduce the boarding step, which is always deployed when the canopy is in the open position. This one:

canopy_step4

Apart form the step itself, my concerns are about its housing in the lower fuselage: I'll have to carve out some plastic in that area, and I was trying to figure out to what extent - meaning if this would involve also the air intake piece, hence having to decide if I'm going to use the kit plastic part or the PAVLA resin offering. This is the area, just right to the tape strip:

boardingstep1

Looking at other pics of the boarding step, it looks like the housing is definitely going beyond that seam line, like I more or less marked here with a black marker

boardingstep2

Then again I don't like the kit parts not because of fitting, as that is almost identical to the resin bits, but rather because they need a lot of clean up and the sprue gates left huge dents in them. So I said what the heck, I'm going with resin! And I tested a home made chisel on a spare resin bit to see if it could go:

boardingstep3

Just a piece of brass rod that I shaped up using my Dremel with a sanding disc. Works pretty good, will see if the "handle" (that would be me :winkgrin: )can keep up with that .

Now, before gluing the resin intake to the front fuselage, I wanted to rescribe some of the lines that defines the additional vents (if anyone could help here with their name and explaining their function, please? :confused:  :) ).

So I used Tamiya Masking tape for curves, a razor saw and my Incido (sewing needle), the three of them all Steve's (Fritag) ideas I shamelessly tried to copy :coolio: 

intakes6

Left done, right undone

intakes7

So, using some CA gel, I glued the intakes to the fuselage; the reason for doing that at this stage is for ease of masking and painting of the intakes interior, which I'm going to do before joining this part to the main fuselage.

intakes8

The green circle in the above pic shows some tie-in job to be done. Same on the other side:

intakes9

Bottom joins are definitely better, both outer and inner:

intakes10

intakes11

intakes12

So now it's curing, before I do any fill in and sanding

intakes13

Comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 12

Giorgio, first of all let me say: another gem is coming. Great job.

Than, I found some times ago, a discussion over the additional intakes you asked for.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=36353&p=

Easily got again. Who wrote, worked on the Harriers in the 90s, so quite reliable.

Bye

Eugenio

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 72linerlover said:

Giorgio, first of all let me say: another gem is coming. Great job.

Than, I found some times ago, a discussion over the additional intakes you asked for.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=36353&p=

Easily got again. Who wrote, worked on the Harriers in the 90s, so quite reliable.

Bye

Eugenio

Thanks Eugenio, also for the link - very helpful :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Looks like you've got some tricky little filling jobs where the intakes meet the fuselage Giorgio :hmmm:

Nothing a man of your calibre can't handle tho' :)

I know you like PPP but will that be hard enough for the job?

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I know you like PPP but will that be hard enough for the job?

Not for the top seams, Steve; I need something with more structure there. :) Still, I'm trying to determine, based on this excellent pic (source is Flickr album of the author, will remove if asked)

RAF Harrier GR9 ZD433 Cockpit HDR

if I have to wait till I put the LERX kit part on before starting any filling/sanding or sort the intake-to-fuselage join right away ... :hmmm: Food for thoughts for tonight modelling session (if I don't fall asleep on my sofa, that is :coolio: )

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giemme. Your additional detailing in the wheel bays looks excellent! Very nicely done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thank you! :thumbsup:

45 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Wow Giemme, just caught up with this build and you are at it again.

Looks great with the added detail in the U/C bays, and the office not to bad either.

Simon.

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup: 

26 minutes ago, Leonl said:

All caught up now. Really enjoying this build...

Thanks to you too, Leon, glad to have you back.! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

So I managed not to fall asleep immediately after dinner last night, and I took up filling and sanding the intake joins.

I first went along all of them with CA gel, applied using a sharpened semi-rigid copper wire; once that dried I went over the bottom outer seams with my ETS

intakes14

Left done and right undone in the above pic.

For the inner seams, after sanding them with regular sand paper stuck to cocktail sticks, I went over them with PPP, using a make up brush to smoothen it

intakes15

Next pic shows an in-progress of that; further smoothing was done using an old pointy brush moistened with water

intakes16

Upper inner seam

intakes17

For the top part, where I needed a more substantial filling, I used CA gel mixed with talc powder - actually, I sprinkled some talc on top of the CA layer.

intakes18

Again, ETS to sand them back to a proper shape and a nail polishing stick to refine them

intakes19intakes20

I'll have to squirt some primer on them to see if they actually tied in nicely with the fuselage.

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 7

8 hours ago, giemme said:

I first went along all of them with CA gel, applied using a sharpened semi-rigid copper wire; once that dried I went over the bottom outer seams with my ETS

Does it hurt when you brush your teeth with those short bristles?

And talk about CA application, have I mentioned this before?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=36011185&postcount=14

Model is looking great. Excellent picture you posted of the real thing - looks like a real snug office.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1