1 72 Airfix BAe Harrier GR9A - Completed! (pg.20)

Nice and tidy looking Giemme.

Those little details as usual you add, make this build .

Looking forward to the next installment.

Simon.

Hi giemme. The details in the cockpit are developing well under paint! :goodjob:

Kind regards,

Stix

Nice progress.... That 'pit is coming along very well....

Amazing work as usual Giemme!

Simon, Sitx, Leon and Cookie: thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Here's next installment: more work done on the IP and tub, to pick up details. First off, I did some dry-brush on the black areas. On the coaming, I used Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey, with a soft brush; the idea was to break up the base tone and add a sort of texture, quite visible in the pictures of the real thing:

28958828412_af36100a02_b.jpg

I also went over the edges with a lighter dry-brush, in this case Lifecolor Light Gull Grey. The HUD reflector screen has been painted with a mix of Lifecolor Olive Drab and Gloss White; once dry, I added a few drops of Tamiya Gloss Clear for the glass

28777942490_4fff198def_b.jpg

Same dry-brush sequence for the IP:

28446271703_2cb8f1df13_b.jpg

I then used a 5/0 brush to paint on a few switches and knobs, but this task hasn't been completed yet

28987737051_6fbd71f8ca_b.jpg

I also need to source some suitable decals for the gauges in the spare box - but boy, are those things tiny? I can foresee I'll have a hard time cutting them out ... :frantic::pilot:

Again, similar dry-brush treatment for the tub side consoles:

28958809062_a9bf4aab21_b.jpg

29031243596_047971425d_b.jpg

Still have to do some detail painting here. Speaking of which: PAVLA provides some very nice detail in the back part of the tub (behind the seat) with boxes an cables/wires, etc; I couldn't find any pics, though, as to what would the color(s) be there; anybody any ideas?

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 9

I also need to source some suitable decals for the gauges in the spare box - but boy, are those things tiny? I can foresee I'll have a hard time cutting them out ... :frantic::pilot:

The fact that you can even consider cutting the dials out in 1/72 is impressive in itself!

Your dry-brushing has really brought it to life...

L

• Like 1

Off the top of my head Giemme, ALL of the boxes on the seat bulhead a predominantly black in colour with bronze/brass coloured connectors. The circular pressure regulator has red/blue A/N fittings and natural metal finish pipework.

On the right hand side of the bulkhead, the main box is the ground power panel(?) which is black with a bank of stainless steel coloured toggle switches down the inboard side.

There is some duct work between the seat rails not depicted on your cockpit set that is natural (i.e. non-pigmented) glassfibre finish. At the level where the seat rail protrudes above the deck, it is matt black. Also missing (because they would be tiny) are the brackets that connect the static lines on either side of the seat to the bulkhead. These have tiny golden yellow connectors.

There are links on the Harrier SIG site to a number of photo libraries, one of which has various cockpit shots including (at the very end) a cockpit in maintenance with the seat removed. The prime portal site has a number of shots of this area too. Shout if you'd can't find these and I'll dig out some links for you.

Good luck,

Kirk

PS/ Your HUD combiner frame is a little less accurate than the rest of your hard work. Can you get your hands on a photo-etched version? I'm not having a go, just pointing out how noticeable this area is.

• Like 1

I then tried Navy Bird's atomization method, to wit airbrushing at high pressure (2 bars) a very thinned Medium Sea Grey (Tamiya XF83), on the cockpit area:

I deny everything.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Works much better with Gunze and ColourCoats paint. Need to have really fine pigments.

• Like 1

The fact that you can even consider cutting the dials out in 1/72 is impressive in itself!

Your dry-brushing has really brought it to life...

L

Cheers Leon, thanks :thumbsup: I did cut out some 1/72 dials for my F-4C build, too - must be some sort of disease ... :chair::D

Off the top of my head Giemme, ALL of the boxes on the seat bulhead a predominantly black in colour with bronze/brass coloured connectors. The circular pressure regulator has red/blue A/N fittings and natural metal finish pipework.

On the right hand side of the bulkhead, the main box is the ground power panel(?) which is black with a bank of stainless steel coloured toggle switches down the inboard side.

There is some duct work between the seat rails not depicted on your cockpit set that is natural (i.e. non-pigmented) glassfibre finish. At the level where the seat rail protrudes above the deck, it is matt black. Also missing (because they would be tiny) are the brackets that connect the static lines on either side of the seat to the bulkhead. These have tiny golden yellow connectors.

There are links on the Harrier SIG site to a number of photo libraries, one of which has various cockpit shots including (at the very end) a cockpit in maintenance with the seat removed. The prime portal site has a number of shots of this area too. Shout if you'd can't find these and I'll dig out some links for you.

Good luck,

Kirk

PS/ Your HUD combiner frame is a little less accurate than the rest of your hard work. Can you get your hands on a photo-etched version? I'm not having a go, just pointing out how noticeable this area is.

Kirk, you're a gold mine! :thumbsup::worthy: I found exactly what I needed on Prime Portal, thanks! It's of a GR7, but it all looks very similar, if not identical, to the GR9 detail reproduced by PAVLA.

As for the HUD frame: thanks for being so kind, but what I've done is actually awful compared to the real thing ... :banghead: As discussed earlier in this thread, Eduard does a 1/72 PE set for the Revell kit, which contains a nicely shaped HUD frame. But 20+€ including postage for just that little metallic bit sounded a bit odd ...

I agree that it is a very prominent feature in the cockpit area, and it is slightly disappointing that PAVLA didn't think of supplying one to compliment their resin set.

However: I'm going to be in London from next Saturday for a few days. Anybody has any advice on where to go looking for that PE set? I'm hoping to save the postage and maybe find a good deal, or am I kidding myself? (first time in London, and only second in the UK for me ... )

I deny everything.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Works much better with Gunze and ColourCoats paint. Need to have really fine pigments.

Bill, I won't hold you responsible for my cock-up :D :D And yes, as we discussed on your recent Spitfire thread, it definitely looks that Tamiya pigments aren't that fine. The greys especially tend to be quite grainy :confused:

Hi Giorgio,

Great detail painting work! Coming along nicely!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

However: I'm going to be in London from next Saturday for a few days. Anybody has any advice on where to go looking for that PE set? I'm hoping to save the postage and maybe find a good deal, or am I kidding myself? (first time in London, and only second in the UK for me ... )

I haven't been to London for years (not since the mid 90's!), but it wasn't blessed with many model shops even back then. Others may know more, but the only one I'm aware of anywhere near the 'centre' of London is the Hannants shop in Colindale, which I think is near the Underground stop for the RAF Museum. The shop is however now closed on Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday. Again, I'm not certain, but I think you used to be able to order stuff to be sent there from the main Hannants warehouse to be collected if they didn't stock it.

Also, are you aware of the Eduard zoom set for the GR7/9 that contains the HUD frame?;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EDSS466

Might be a cheaper option?

Keith

PS, nice detail painting!

• Like 2

I haven't been to London for years (not since the mid 90's!), but it wasn't blessed with many model shops even back then. Others may know more, but the only one I'm aware of anywhere near the 'centre' of London is the Hannants shop in Colindale, which I think is near the Underground stop for the RAF Museum. The shop is however now closed on Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday.

Right, exactly when I'm there :( However, I don't think we could have fit Colindale in the middle of our schedule ... it's my daughter's gift trip, so she's planning most of it :bobby:

Also, are you aware of the Eduard zoom set for the GR7/9 that contains the HUD frame?;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EDSS466

Might be a cheaper option?

Didn't know about that, thanks Keith! :thumbsup: I'll have to search for it :pilot:

A little more progress done on the tub; I did some detail painting on the bulkhead and side consoles

28979738292_6a4974a71b_b.jpg

29084739075_22ce81691d_b.jpg

28798592870_902c16b4cb_b.jpg

28979713922_6f32324d12_b.jpg

Now I only need to add a dark wash and probably a bit more of dry brush on the grey parts, and it should be done.

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 9

Seat rails themselves on the bulkhead are grey below the deck level, Giemme.

Edit: The black you've probably seen is the ladder of the seat itself, the gun barrel of which mounts at a bracket at the base and near the top of the grey section on the bulkhead.

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 1

I like the fact you say 'obviously there is more do' for you maybe but here is where I normally stop from a detail point of view!

Excellent work as every giemme!

Rob

:D Thanks Rob! :thumbsup:

The office is coming along quite nicely Giemme.

Just hope that the weather keeps reasonable for you and your family mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Weather forecasts ain't that bad - sure it's not like 30+°C and sunny like here right now, but looks reasonable for UK ... :coolio:

Wonderful progress with the cockpit Giemme! It really is looking the business! :goodjob:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thanks! :thumbsup:

Seat rails themselves on the bulkhead are grey below the deck level, Giemme.

Edit: The black you've probably seen is the ladder of the seat itself, the gun barrel of which mounts at a bracket at the base and near the top of the grey section on the bulkhead.

Thanks Kirk, I wasn't quite sure in fact. You mean that only the top protruding part is black, right? That said, I have to do some dry-fit of the seat to check what remains to be seen of the bulkhead, and touch up accordingly :winkgrin:

Ciao

PS/ Stick a bit of Tamiya Smoke or similar down the base of ducts just behind the seat bukhead; In reality they open out on to the long thin spring-load rectangular doors on the flanks of the tapiring section of the cockpit. In forward flight, air pressure from inside sucks the doors open sucks the boundary layer from the inside of the intake, smoothing the flow to the fan. Long and short is that the visible base of the duct is a bit of artistic/engineering licence present only in models.

I also forgot to say - your painting of the blue (which must be minute) is pretty impressive!

Kirk

• Like 1

PS/ Stick a bit of Tamiya Smoke or similar down the base of ducts just behind the seat bukhead; In reality they open out on to the long thin spring-load rectangular doors on the flanks of the tapiring section of the cockpit. In forward flight, air pressure from inside sucks the doors open sucks the boundary layer from the inside of the intake, smoothing the flow to the fan. Long and short is that the visible base of the duct is a bit of artistic/engineering licence present only in models.

Great insight, thanks Kirk! :thumbsup: Do you think that hollowing them out could be a good idea?

I also forgot to say - your painting of the blue (which must be minute) is pretty impressive!

:D Glad you noticed that :thumbsup2: Helps having a 5/0 brush and a magnifier :winkgrin::coolio:

Ciao

Not sure about hollowing it out only in that it would be a lot a work for little visibility. Remember that you're looking through the canopy. If it is closed you can't even see into the ducts at all.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, I'm leaving the canopy open, so I followed your advice and painted the duct bottom with some thinned Matt Black, see below.

Everybody, here's a small progress report: I'm heading to completion for the interiors, I only need to paint the seat now. Speaking of which, in preparation for the painting job, I did some dry brush with Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey to highlight the nice details of this resin bit; that should help me to better identify the different areas/parts and ease the painting:

29204690611_1ba61a9baa_b.jpg

29283470955_0bdd928dc3_b.jpg

28662548433_964693d012_b.jpg

29175031412_ea03542a40_b.jpg

Control stick painted and flat clear coated

29204673471_d12259799d_b.jpg

29204700371_a09b42c4fe_z.jpg

Some dark tempera wash on the interiors and the tub:

29175051772_de83407758_b.jpg

29204696901_7b969a05a6_b.jpg

29283484385_144448bbc8_b.jpg

29249463386_2b92c621f7_b.jpg

Following Kirk's advice, I repainted the bottom part of the seat rails with the cockpit color, and run some black paint into the two small ducts behind the bulkhead.

Here's the IP:

28662557963_89190ee336_z.jpg

As anticipated, I cut out some spare decals for the gauges, but ended up putting only two on it (I think they're pretty obvious), because the smaller indicators are ... very small, and after loosing two of the decals and struggling 15 minutes each to place them, I decide to only add some white marks with a very sharp toothpick :banghead: I have then put a drop of Tamiya Gloss Clear on them as well as on the two LCD screens, to simulate the glass cover.

I might have to do some touch-up on the switch panel just below the HUD, but apart from that the IP should be completed. Unless I find the PE HUD framing, of course, but I still have some margin to put that on later ...

Comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 14

That looks very sweet Giemme, and in that scale sorted.

Look forward to more updates .

Simon.

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup: More to come along the week

That dry brushing have really brought the details out on that seat giemme. Nice work on the tub!

Rob

Cheers Rob, thanks! :thumbsup: The resin seat really is nicely detailed

Great work on the cockpit, Giorgio!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime! :thumbsup:

More lovely work

Cheers Blogs On, thanks! :thumbsup:

Amazing details Giemme!

Thanks Cookie! :thumbsup:

Ciao