The chase - Masterbox 1/35 Yankee Scout and Tracker - COMPLETED!

giemme

The visor looks like a good idea. I also find that the brush gets in the way when using my table lamp type illuminated magnifier, even though I've shortened some of them.

Stil struggling with my faces, I don't think there will be any chance of my camera going into ' face recognition ' mode when I eventually have the nerve to photograph them.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the base.

John

• Like 1

Maybe you and Giorgio can provide a couple of links to the visors, please?

The Indian head is outstanding!

Gene K

Thanks Gene! :thumbsup: I got my visors off Amazon, here's the link:

https://www.amazon.it/Amzdeal-dingrandimento-250-350mm-200-300mm-175-275mm/dp/B01D2T53DY/ref=sr_1_98?ie=UTF8&qid=1472906589&sr=8-98&keywords=lente+ingrandimento

The visor looks like a good idea. I also find that the brush gets in the way when using my table lamp type illuminated magnifier, even though I've shortened some of them.

Stil struggling with my faces, I don't think there will be any chance of my camera going into ' face recognition ' mode when I eventually have the nerve to photograph them.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the base.

John

John, as I told Cookie, you should really get them. Another big difference I noticed as opposed to the table lamp type is that you get a much better light, meaning that it helps you finding out the right spots for highlights and shadows and picking out the edges, as opposed to the other which tends to flatten things out. I hope it makes sense to you.

As for the base, I got hold of some mixed grass and some different kinds of lichens, but I couldn't find some actual tufts, which would probably be more suitable to reproduce an Oklahoma terrain... I'm also looking at pictures of different areas in Oklahoma, to find the right inspiration ... :confused::frantic:

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, Giorgio. I ordered the one in Cookie's link as that item appears close to yours.

Gene K

:speak_cool: Very similar, I believe the only difference could be the fact that mine works with three AAA battery, rather than with button ones like yours.

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Hi everybody, here's some progress on this vignette

I airbrushed some Tamiya Flat Brown on the ground base:

28847851783_7d07e64939_b.jpg

I wasn't looking for a perfect, uniform coverage, just an uneven coat to provide a base color for grass/tufts.

While the airbrush was out, I decided to tackle the horse painting task :pilot:

Base coat: a mix of Tamiya Flat Brown, Red and a hint of Flat Yellow

28845150884_43073e8916_b.jpg

28847848883_098fff07a7_b.jpg

Second coat: adding a bit more of yellow, I only sprayed from the top, for the highlights:

28847847763_35f4427a36_b.jpg

28847845873_b3edae5cfd_b.jpg

Third coat: this time I added some black to the base color and sprayed only from the bottom, to reinforce the shadows

29181144000_c5977677e5_b.jpg

29469649345_fcc543da67_b.jpg

28847839493_17703174e4_b.jpg

Sorry, the lights in my spraying booth aren't ideal for pics, probably you can better see the effect in the last two pics

I wanted the color to have a more red/orange shade, so I went over the whole horse body with an appropriate filter: basically I added some red and yellow to the base color, and airbrushed it in a few very thinned coats. I then airbrushed an off white (Tamiya Flat White plus some Sky Grey) on the muzzle and the hocks - very thinned, very low pressure:

29469647945_b73caeac43_b.jpg

28847837453_4fc6cf5fe6_b.jpg

29181141360_0a451f3c3c_b.jpg

All of this is a sort of base, on top of which I'll have to do some brush painting to complete the job.

Any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 6

Hi Giorgio. The base looks right to me. You don't want an overall too even colour surface for groundworks. What you've got should be a good base for the grasses. As for the horse - very impressive painting. I really enjoy seeing the stages you go through! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

The horse is coming along nicely.

There is a superstition amongst horse owners that the number of white "socks " on a horse indicates how easy/difficult it will be to handle. When looking for a horse you should remember:- One, buy it. Two, try it. Three, suspect it. Four, reject it. I think your trooper should be holding on with both hands!

Our english horse has two and a half white socks ( one can only be seen from behind ) and could be a little fiery in his younger days but now at 28 years old he's just fat and happy in his field with his french friend.

Here's one I painted earlier. ( I wish )

John

IMG_0646_zps8bikdpsx.jpg[

You lookin' at me?

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 4

Lovely horse Giorgio!!

John, what does the superstition say about a chestnut mare with no white socks?! I suspect nothing other than 'chestnut mare. run away' - which my daughter had either not heard or chose to ignore when buying her beast!

IMG_3262_zpsq4trvcjw.jpg

I do have to admit she's also cooled down a heck of a lot since being retired &, touch wood, is really good with our grandaughter.

Apologies for wandering OT Giorgio!

Keith

• Like 4

Hi Giorgio. The base looks right to me. You don't want an overall too even colour surface for groundworks. What you've got should be a good base for the grasses. As for the horse - very impressive painting. I really enjoy seeing the stages you go through! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Six, thanks! :thumbsup:

The horse is coming along nicely.

There is a superstition amongst horse owners that the number of white "socks " on a horse indicates how easy/difficult it will be to handle. When looking for a horse you should remember:- One, buy it. Two, try it. Three, suspect it. Four, reject it. I think your trooper should be holding on with both hands!

Our english horse has two and a half white socks ( one can only be seen from behind ) and could be a little fiery in his younger days but now at 28 years old he's just fat and happy in his field with his french friend.

Here's one I painted earlier. ( I wish )

John

Ouch, I didn't know about that superstition :S What I'm trying to reproduce is this:

29365621862_33b89d9a75_b.jpg

Nice horse of yours BTW, have you been using oils? :D :D :D

Lovely horse Giorgio!!

John, what does the superstition say about a chestnut mare with no white socks?! I suspect nothing other than 'chestnut mare. run away' - which my daughter had either not heard or chose to ignore when buying her beast!

IMG_3262_zpsq4trvcjw.jpg

I do have to admit she's also cooled down a heck of a lot since being retired &, touch wood, is really good with our grandaughter.

Apologies for wandering OT Giorgio!

Keith

Never mind Keith, that is a super-cool picture! :)

Ciao

• Like 3

Thanks for making your build threads like tutorials Giorgio, I'm learning lots.

Cheers Cookie, I'm glad if this can be of any help :thumbsup:

Definitely. That horse is beautifully done ... so far. Will no doubt be magnificent when finished!

Gene K

Thanks Gene, also for your trust in me :winkgrin::thumbsup:

Here's an update on the horse:

29449826502_d558f8e476_b.jpg

I painted the mane and tail with Lifecolor Matt Black, thinned with some Future, to give a sort of shiny look (it'll tone down after a flat clear coat), than drybrushed some Dark Gull Grey on top of it to give some depth.

The areas right above the "white socks", around the eyes, around the tail and around the nostrils have been drybrushed too, with a mix of Matt Black, Matt Brown and Dark Gull Grey

29449824932_f388779488_b.jpg

29478869531_d1656343f4_b.jpg

I also ran a tempera wash on the socks, followed by a Matt White drybrush. I'll probably need another session to complete it, then I can put on the saddle, bags and all the rest of the stuff

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 6

Great progress on the horse, especially the legs. Very realistic.

John

Thanks John! :thumbsup: You're the horse expert, so I'm particularly glad that you like it :)

Ciao

Lovely work G !! :thumbsup:

K

Cheers Keith, thanks! :thumbsup:

Lovely work Giemme mate.

Just read this thread and a damn good job you are doing. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Thanks Simon, glad to have you on board of this too :thumbsup:

Wow! The work you have done on the paintwork for the horse is truly superb! Even at this stage you can see the quality! Wonderful stuff! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, I appreciate that! :thumbsup:

So, the horse paintwork is completed (except for the details that have to be added later on, of course). Lots of pics to follow (probably too many, sorry can't help it :winkgrin: )

First off, hooves: I painted some vertical grey stripes on them

29517517582_07da5df8da_b.jpg

followed by a few very thinned coats of Lifecolor Sand Yellow

29628455825_39b4edb966_b.jpg

Saddle blanket (not sure this is the right name, John/Keith please help out here? :) ). Here I used Lifecolor Dark Blue mixed with a bit of Matt Black

29517517372_91207508fd_b.jpg

29517503772_4c67f380b7_b.jpg

Then Matt Black for the belts and housing:

29002279314_a3f9223880_b.jpg

Some Dark Gull Gray for the wear and tear on the belts:

29002279304_d47dde6438_b.jpg

followed by a few coats of thinned dark grey, to tie in

29337873940_39f0c4107d_b.jpg

29517492622_69dc15a31d_b.jpg

I applied some Light Gull Grey drybrush all over the belts, too

29337861240_14dfafde2c_b.jpg

Metallic rings and buckles, using Italeri Flat Iron

29002271294_54850f5520_b.jpg

and the eyes, Lifecolor Gloss Black plus the reflection painted with Light Gull Grey

29002272434_1f1fd55682_b.jpg

29517526902_088e37bd77_b.jpg

I've also added a black tempera wash on the muzzle and around the belts

Here's the finished item, after an Italeri Flat Clear coat by brush, except for the eyes where I put a few drops of Tamiya Gloss Clear, and the hooves, for which I used Future:

29593451786_c311d8df57_b.jpg

29002296804_ed40c20d07_b.jpg

29628455845_bee1d95dc0_b.jpg

29628450585_605da6e011_b.jpg

Any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 5

The overall effect is fantastic, right down to the marks on the hooves.

Saddle cloth is fine, the modern sheepskin lined variety are called numnahs, don't ask me why.

John

PS just showed it to SWMBO and she agrees with me.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

Well Giemme, it definitely looks like a horse mate.

The shading and highlighting to the head looks great. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Cheers Simon mate, thanks! :thumbsup:

The overall effect is fantastic, right down to the marks on the hooves.

Saddle cloth is fine, the modern sheepskin lined variety are called numnahs, don't ask me why.

John

PS just showed it to SWMBO and she agrees with me.

Great, that sounds like an official approval :thumbsup::winkgrin: Take my bests to Mrs. B. :thumbsup2:

With the quality of work on display the more pics the the better!! That is is beautifully realistic. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

I've been reading the whole thread over two days Giorgio. It is superb! I was fascinated to see how a horse is built and painted.

It looks just amazing, a work of art that you make look easy :o!

I doubt my painting efforts would produce anything that looked like that. I would be lucky to get it to look like a pantomime horse :confused:!

It's great to learn from your step by step instructions and photographs. Many thanks and looking forward to the rest :!

All the best

Tony

• Like 1