The chase - Masterbox 1/35 Yankee Scout and Tracker - COMPLETED!

giemme

Hi everybody; here's my entry for this GB, it's Masterbox 1/35 Yankee Scout and Tracker set:

27940256276_25ab904a28_c.jpg

Content of the box: sprues

27872973202_426c28ca2e_c.jpg

Dec... no, wait a minute, no decals here, I must be confused ... :D:winkgrin:

The base, basically a square piece of wood 6x6 "

27940255646_dbd623ae31_c.jpg

27361557414_5904a13340_c.jpg

I haven't quite decided yet how to fill the base in, I'm going first to do a quick dry fit of the four figures and try and come up with a possible layout.

Thanks in advance to the hosts of this GB.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 6

Hello Giemme and welcome to the Vignette GB. Knowing your figure making/painting skills I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with these. I remember seeing the photo of the box when you kindly said you would take part in this GB - really great idea for a vignette. This GB is bringing together a lot of different ideas for scenes - which is excellent!

:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

PS - Perhaps the decals got stuck inside the box somewhere? :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I'm along for the ride (sorry!) Giorgio!

This'll be good, a very interesting looking subject!

Keith

:D Any intended pun is fine, Keith :D :D Thanks for joining :thumbsup:

Hello Giemme and welcome to the Vignette GB. Knowing your figure making/painting skills I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with these. I remember seeing the photo of the box when you kindly said you would take part in this GB - really great idea for a vignette. This GB is bringing together a lot of different ideas for scenes - which is excellent!

:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

PS - Perhaps the decals got stuck inside the box somewhere? :winkgrin:

Cheers Stix, thanks. :thumbsup: I haven't quite had the time to look at what others are doing for this GB, but I will try to catch up during the next few days :hobbyhorse:

Ciao

• Like 1

Looks a really interesting project Giorgio.

Best of luck.

Thanks Blastvader! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't know where to start with something like this ...

That's two of us then, Cliff :D :D Thanks for joining

No progress to show so far, no time for modelling last WE, but I should be able to post something tomorrow

Ciao

No progress to show so far, no time for modelling last WE, but I should be able to post something tomorrow

Then I'm looking forward to tomorrow's first update!!

• Like 1

Then I'm looking forward to tomorrow's first update!!

Here it is, Stix :winkgrin:

I started from the scout's horse, because I think I will only be able to fit one horse in my little scene but I needed to put one together to better judge the proportions. There is quite some flash on the parts, but easily removable with a standard knife, and there's going to be a lot of sanding/puttying/sanding to do:

27486663204_ff6d3e4ee4_o.jpg

27486665674_1ee31f7ab3_o.jpg

The first pic shows some job already done in the saddle area, but I'll have to fill in the central seam, too.

The horse head is in three pieces: neck, ears and muzzle. To ensure a positive alignment, I decided to insert a mounting pin for the muzzle/neck join; so I drilled a small hole in the muzzle back side, put a drop of Tamiya Red and mated the two joining surface to determine the position of the receiving hole:

27486665344_25105e3cdb_o.jpg

I then glued in a piece of metal rod (from a paper clip) with CA on the muzzle side and drilled a bigger hole in the neck

27486664874_c4a17373bc_o.jpg

After I took last pic, I dry fitted the two parts and actually had to enlarge that second hole a bit to allow for more adjustment while gluing.

The two parts joined, again using CA along the metal pin

28101108455_0154b63455_o.jpg

Great level of detail for an injected plastic figure, if you ask me :coolio:

Here's the ears part: glued in with a drop of CA, I then went along all the joins with Tamiya Green Cap

28067005616_ebbaea8a83_o.jpg

28101107985_2dc19e3866_o.jpg

Lots of filling to do here, as well.

That's it for the day, any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 8

Hi Giemme. Thank you for the update! :thumbsup: I totally agree about the level of detail - it is amazing - the horse's face looks fantastic and should provide an excellent base your painting skills.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Giemme. Thank you for the update! :thumbsup: I totally agree about the level of detail - it is amazing - the horse's face looks fantastic and should provide an excellent base your painting skills.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix! :thumbsup:

Wow, figures are so much different from airplanes. Great work Giemme, I really like the paper clip joint pin.

Cheers Cookie, thanks! :thumbsup: I think that both kind of modelling get benefits from each other, and merging techniques gives you a wide variety of solutions. :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 2

Great looking horse Giorgio - my daughter would love that, it looks just like her 1:1 scale one (but not as expensive to keep...!! :D )

Nice start!

Keith

I'd rather stay with the plastic one, then :D Thanks for the comment :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Horse anatomy looks good! I've bought a few kits where the eyes are on the front of the head - bit of a tricky rework that. Looking forward to progress.

• Like 1

Can,t remember seeing many horses modelled on the forum Giemme,great stuff!

Cheers Steve, thanks :thumbsup:

Horse anatomy looks good! I've bought a few kits where the eyes are on the front of the head - bit of a tricky rework that. Looking forward to progress.

Ouch, that would have been out of my possibilities :frantic: Luckily this one seems really proper.

Interesting subject. You've got to admire Masterbox for their diversity.

Indeed! I can see more Masterbox project in my modelling future :)

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Hi everybody, here is more job done on the horse:

adding pins to help mounting head and tail

28115616616_843ceb73b6_o.jpg

head glued in with CA gel, plus some Tamiya Green Cap run along the join

28150136985_bfb01d95af_o.jpg

28115614756_0b870986d4_o.jpg

Quite a prominent seam line to deal with; I think I'll probably glue in the tail after having puttied and sanded the various joins.

Here's a pic of the horse on the base, to confirm that I'll fit only one in my scene:

28115617166_349956da98_o.jpg

There's going to be some scenic added to the base, in addition to the horse, the scout and the tracker, so another horse would probably give a too crowdy look. Will see.

Comments and suggestion welcome, as usual

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 8

Excellent pictures and descriptions -- as usual.

Gene K

Thanks Gene! :thumbsup:

The horse does look very good. I think you'd get two on your base - they'd keep each other company :winkgrin:

Cheers Stix, thanks! :thumbsup: As for the second horse, I don't know, I need to start working a bit on the scenic first, then I'll decide :hmmm:

Ciao

• Like 1