1/72 Airfix DH4

94FBA4DF-6A7F-4058-A85C-6912A77677F9_zps

739F6179-1F14-4B28-958D-6DDE8C7EC207_zps

I have been building this for 5 months on and off between other builds. 1967 vintage.

I am calling it complete now, having dropped it twice and re rigged twice.

• Like 31

Hi,

really brilliantly done. Congrats!

Despite the high tech instruction sheet, it is still one of the better biplane kits from the Airfix of old.

Well done for achieving such a beautiful result.

JR

• Like 2

Hi Jean, thank you, and I agree with you I think it is a good kit too. I don't know of another kit of the DH 4 ? I am sure some one will let me know if there is one.

Thank you Billy, yes it is about 49 years old but it goes together well, the top wing fitting is interesting.

Andrew.

Yes I can remember this instruction sheet.

I think I was 10 or 11 years old when I built this model from Airfix.

Of course I built it with my dad, who had not much more knowledge

as I had.(But your dad is always a "Superman", isn't he?)

But the DH-4 was built, of course without painting and without rigging.

But it was a great time.

Bear paw, your model looks fantastic !!!

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Edited by polo1112
  • Like 1

Yes Polo, I wrestled with this one at about the same age with great blobs of tube cement. I think it won the battle, so I decided to have a rematch. It was a close run thing but I am calling it finished. Thanks, Andrew.

Looks very nice. Just looking at it I would have thought it was 1:48 ! I have built this kit and enjoyed it and converted one into a DH4A and have a resin fuselage to make a DH4B.

• Like 1

Very nicely done!

Pegasus did a 1:72 DH4 with optional engines. Since I have that, my Airfix DH4 will be converted to a DH9. I hope they come put as nicely as this one...any chance of more pics?

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks Rik, I have tried Pegasus kits and it is a one all draw with them. One completed and one unfinished on a 'special shelf'. Does anyone do full after market decal sets for this type? I need serial numbers for mine.

Thank you Rik, I have just realised that the wing skids are missing! They are still on their cocktail sticks stuck in the foam block so I will add them and do a few more photos.

Outstanding! You've given a new lease of life to this vintage kit. The wood texture on the prop and the superb job on the rigging have my admiration. Additional photos would be appreciated.

What's your preferred rigging method?

cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Lovely build of a vintage kit. Was the first kit I ever rigged with Heat stretched sprue, back in about 1969

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind comments Alex, I am completing a Roden Albatros D III. at the moment and trying different shades of plywood finish which I find fascinating. As for rigging I use ezee line threaded through a cut down beading needle, a beading needle is very long and thin. I cut the point off it and just leave 1/2" or 12mm and thread the line though pre drilled holes. I tape the start end of the line to the wing with sliver of masking tape and try and do as much of the rigging in one length as I can.

Sorry that is confusing it is a simple method- it must be I can do it.

Thanks Joachim, and mercifully I haven't dropped it again - what I really like about the old Airfix instructions are the written descriptions of how to make the model.

Hi Martin, thank you - I must of made this kit at the same time as you. I think they were 2/6d back then for a series one in their plastic bags. I never thought of attempting to rig bi planes back then - paint was a bit of a luxury!

Andrew.

Thanks Mmarchal, I did loose my enthusiasm for building kits so I did go back to where it started. It is fascinating revisiting these old kits, very interesting.

Hi Jim, thank you for your comments, I need to put some more decals on and take some more photos.

Super job. Nice rigging and wooden prop and struts effect. :wow:

I remember doing this when it came out. I liked the way the struts could be slotted into the upper wing.

Thanks Bertie, turning back the clock. I have been making this along side of this a lot has changed in 49 years - all except the enjoyment.

C6F8851C-6256-480D-BB17-40E99D4848E7_zps

A great looking DH4. I hope you will post some more pics. Being a rather important type it's a pity there isn't a new tooling out there somewhere in this scale.

Hi, I could not agree more, there is a whole range of aircraft here that are under represented. So if any one from Airfix's development team is stuck for a WWI subject in 1:72 scale?

Here are two more photos with bombs and wing skids added. I have lost two fuselage struts from the top wing port side which will have to be replaced. That will be tricky.

CB0CEBEC-AEBD-44AE-849D-160524C4DC50_zps

C10857FA-506D-4B55-BB45-96D777AB0E32_zps

Edited by Bear Paw