Airfix 2017

Denford

I should imagine all this will depend on the current restructure and where the new priorities will be. Sadly I think we shall be lucky to have anything new next year. They need to make money again is the bottom line I guess

I think that the current problems with Airfix and the pound won't effect things as much we might expect as Airfix would have started work on their 2017 releases before the poo hit the fan.

That does not mean that work on the 2017 schedule can be stopped and a less ambitious programme put in place.

That does not mean that work on the 2017 schedule can be stopped and a less ambitious programme put in place.

Good point. However the cost of a mould being produced in China and the kit being produced in India will go up due to a weaker £.

Trevor

• Like 1

Somehow in between current Hornby problems ( that are far from concluded ) and Brexit, I am not so convinced will see many new toolings in...2018.

As far as I Know in 2017 we should have app.same number of new toolings/releases as in 2016 ( dont know the subjects ) , but would not be surprised too see planned 2017 releases streched into late 2018.

None the less now in 2016 Airfix can produce (with minimal alterations and expenditure) numerous "new" kits or boxings to weather out uncertainties in the next two years.

I think the economy will play a huge part in their release schedule, global sales will dictate their strategy.

Meanwhile I will live in hope for a 1/72 Beaufort and a re tool Hampden and Wellington. They made such a lovely job of the Whitley, I really do hope they carry on with the British twins theme.

Living in hope obviously.

• Like 3

Equally that could happen, but I wonder how much money is made in the rush to buy when a kit is first released?

Like everyone else I am only surmising.

For the ones waiting for a Shackleton AEW it isn't scheduled at the moment.
I asked them a few weeks ago if they are going to release it due to the very poor shaped radome of the Revell kit( i have a radome from Revell and i don't wanna hang it on my Shack thats for shure)
It(Revell Shack) has much more issues but that aside..
This was the answer of the Airfix customer care department:
"There are no plans currently for this but it sounds like a great idea.
I have ensured this has been passed on to the development and marketing team, so it can be taken into consideration for you."

So maybe they will do something with it because the Airfix radome shape is so much better and i don give a thing about the rivets...

Jan

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 1

There are a couple of glaring gaps in their RAF WW2 fighters, the Tempest being one. Mind you, trying to LIDAR the RAF Museum's one and only might be difficult. WW2 single engined fighters I would have thought are a pretty safe bet for Airfix in these uncertain times. A new Corsair (FAA) and a P-47 don't seem too out there. A Spitfire XIV would be fab. Personally I would like a new 1/72 Buccaneer which I think would sell pretty well in the UK at least.

I should imagine all this will depend on the current restructure and where the new priorities will be. Sadly I think we shall be lucky to have anything new next year. They need to make money again is the bottom line I guess

Don't agree AT ALL. Hornby's problems have been with them for some time, what's 'new' is that they are getting worse.

Airfix however appears to be doing well, and their 'output' is probably limited by the number of designers they have.

So Airfix will concentrate on subjects likely to make the most money, and their present 'formula' of total unpredictability will continue. So nothing new there.

The only limitation is availability of accurate data, so no Stirling, de H Hornet, Scruggs Wonderplane. So which to choose of the pool, no ocean, of subjects long overdue for modern tooling. Speaking 1/72, Alison Mustang, Beaufort, Sea Venom to name but 3. All originally released by Frog, subjects that saw world wide service, and not (yet) re-tooled. Me 410 and Ar234 have been the subjects of recent threads. No wholly accurate kit of the former and the latter virtually unobtainable.

More Spitfires? alas I fear not. To the non-enthusiast a Spitfire is a Spitfire and to produce more at the expense of other subjects merely competes against ones self.

They have tried some 'new' themes: Kate and WWl. If these do well, then perhaps some more on that theme, though there has to be a time lag measured in years.

What we can be sure of is 'surprises' and a sustained, if somewhat limited, output of subjects of all genres.

• Like 1

I think the economy will play a huge part in their release schedule, global sales will dictate their strategy.

Global sales should be affected positively.

A lower GBP benefits exporters because it makes their products more competitive vis a vis their competitors. And tourism is an "export", so expect an increase in tourists from overseas attracted by the reduced cost of visiting the UK.

Shane

• Like 1

With how Hornby are, I've heard they are just concentrating on the 1/72nd VC-10, massive decal sheet, full interior, positioned flaps etc... :whistle:

Blimey, what have you been smoking?

Amongst the new releases will be:

Hampden (obviously, British twin engined bomber)

Spey Phantom (will sell shed loads!)

Hurricane tin wing (surely!!)

I'd settle for them re-doing the Bf 109G and Spit IX up to current standards. Unlikely, I'm sure, but it's a shame those two aren't as nice as more recent products.

But I agree that WW2 single engine fighters are probably a safe bet. Be nice to have the metal-wing Hurri and Spit Vb, of course, as well as a P-47, Hellcat or Corsair. Maybe even something Russian.

Much as I like the larger types I don't have the space at present to accommodate them, which is why my Whitley remains un-built.

I'd settle for them re-doing the Bf 109G and Spit IX up to current standards. Unlikely, I'm sure, but it's a shame those two aren't as nice as more recent products.

If it's a pick list, then the Sea harriers in 1/72 to the same standard as the GR1/3 (with the correct fin!)

• Like 1

It will be very interesting to see if the WWI 1/72 scale aircraft subjects continue. They have made a solid start with the two early types produced so far.

• Like 2

I think a Spit XIV would be a moneymaker. Not sure about what to do aside from that. My personal preference would be First World War capital ships, especially battlecruisers. Or a Zeppelin, but that would really take PE to do justice to the prop system.

I wont bother with what I would like, but I suspect we will see several modified kits - B17F, early Beaufighter, maybe Beaufighter Mk 2, 1/48 Sea Hurricane, maybe a 1/48 Hurricane Mk II, 1/72 metal wing Hurricane, early Seafire in 1/48, Different Meteor version and maybe a scaled down 1/72 F8, Sea King that's not a gift set, maybe the Bucc in 1/48 will be available again. Upscaled a 1/48 Tiger Moth would be popular (in this house anyway - well for me, not sure if Mrs Star and the kids would agree), also the Vampire T11 and Sea King in 1/48 but getting into my likes now.

If only I could time travel :weep:

I think a Spit XIV would be a moneymaker. Not sure about what to do aside from that. My personal preference would be First World War capital ships, especially battlecruisers. Or a Zeppelin, but that would really take PE to do justice to the prop system.

I like the idea of a German airship - it'd be about 6ft long in 1/72.. :lol:

• Like 1

(..) maybe the Bucc in 1/48 will be available again. Upscaled a 1/48 Tiger Moth would be popular (in this house anyway - well for me, not sure if Mrs Star and the kids would agree), also the Vampire T11 and Sea King in 1/48 but getting into my likes now.

If only I could time travel :weep:

The Buccaneer in 1:48 tooling is damaged beyond repair it is said. I have one and it is not up to current standards - lots of resin and PE accumulated in the box for a future build.

Fully agree on the 1:48 Tiger Moth - I expected it this year already.

Agree even more on the time travelling thing ;-)

It has to be a 1:48 Scimitar, it would sell well. I know I would want one and there has to be 3 or 4 others on here that would also buy it. So come on Airfix just do it, you could make up any losses by just releasing another Spitfire!

On a side note did Airfix miss a trick with the 100th anniversary of Jutland? A 1:350th HMS Caroline would look quite resplendent being one of a kind. Would probably sell quite well also.

Bob

• Like 3

A year free of Spitfires & any other WWII single engine fighters would be nice. :whistle: . An Lightning F1/F1A/F2 (1/72) would be equally nice as would a Buccaneer S1/S2 & the rest of the so far neglected WWII RAF twins - Beaufort, Hampden, Wellington. Lets not forget the one true F-4 Phantom, not that J-79 powered wussie!! :P . Oh yes, the kit of the year will be the long awaited 1/72 multi option VC-10, or Vulcan B1, or, Vulcan B2 or Victor B1 or, Avro Lincoln or...........................................................!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Allan

ps - how about some brand new armour?

• Like 1