Airfix 2017

Denford

They said there wouldn't be. Next one will be bigger., July 15th. Says so at the beginning of the last edition.

Paul.

Ah thanks, I've missed that

Martin

About the 48th heavies last week-end I picked up a 48th B-17G and an F for 30GBP the detail that isn't there by today's standards would be replaced in any case. I also plan on after-market decals and vac-glazing. The basic kit is very accurate indeed. I have a B-29 with similar extras which also appears to be very accurate. However the 48th Lancaster is another matter. The fuselage profile is quite wrong and while Packard Merlins all spin the same way the RR Merlins were handed. It costs 70GBP and needs the same help as the others mentioned. Revell & Monogram were really on their game by any standards.

A 48th Lanc from Airfix would, I feel, sell well but possibly not as well as other subjects that would cost the same to bring to market. In 48th I'd think the Vampire T.11 or a single seater, a Hunter or the afore mentioned Blenheim would be a better choice. I still think a 48th WWI British heavy tank would sell well to the general public at present as well as us BMers and the like....

Given the appalling Tornado and Eurofighter offerings I would lay a bet on:

1. 1/72 Tornado GR.4

2. 1/72 Eurofighter Typhoon

and given the unavailability of spare parts for the 1/72 Hunter FGA.9 from Airfix a:

3. 1/72 Hunter FGA 9

and possibly:

4.1/72 Hunter T.7

Interesting thread!

For my money a dead cert as are new versions of the Beau (early), Defiant (NF) and tin wing Hurri.

What perplexes me is why they haven't done a twin tub Spit....with all those new companies giving rides there's a market now...they only need to retool the fuselage and a small canopy sprue....wings prop engines etc are all in the bank....

As for 2017

I predict 1/48 Lanc, new tool 1/72 Vulcan, 1/72 Chippie, 1/72 Fury and maybe a 1/72 Wimpey.

Sadly they never listen to my folded piece of paper at Telford which has Martin Baker MB-5 written on it- cost of a Spit tooling...think of the number the What if crowd would buy and a fantastic rebox with the TSR2 as a 'Project Cancelled' double...

TT

Interesting thread!

For my money a dead cert as are new versions of the Beau (early), Defiant (NF) and tin wing Hurri.

What perplexes me is why they haven't done a twin tub Spit....with all those new companies giving rides there's a market now...they only need to retool the fuselage and a small canopy sprue....wings prop engines etc are all in the bank....

As for 2017

I predict 1/48 Lanc, new tool 1/72 Vulcan, 1/72 Chippie, 1/72 Fury and maybe a 1/72 Wimpey.

Sadly they never listen to my folded piece of paper at Telford which has Martin Baker MB-5 written on it- cost of a Spit tooling...think of the number the What if crowd would buy and a fantastic rebox with the TSR2 as a 'Project Cancelled' double...

TT

As the person who started this thread, I could indeed say that it is 'interesting'. The original question was when Airfix would start announcing 2017 releases, though one wouldn't think so from reading the latest posts!

I had half suspected that the postings would drift off into personal wish lists. No matter how often it is repeated, Airfix will only, repeat only tool subjects for which there are either a) Accurate, engineering drawings or B) An extant example that can be measured with LIDAR or otherwise. Incidentally suspended subjects give LIDAR problems as the move: not much but lots compared with the wavelengths used... They've also stated categorically that there will be no re-work of non-computer designed kits eg new transparencies for the Halifax.

Sorry they've never heard your 'Telford Slip' say "MB-5", but now you know why!

Now I'll take a turn and 'predict'. There will further 're-scales', of which the Meteor in 1/72 is a certainty and to the delight of Xtradecal. Also more subjects suitable for 'reworks' for want of a better word. This year alone we've had Kate, Whitley, F4F, and Beaufighter.

Yes: I have my wishlist too but with such a vast array of subjects to choose from I'll just concentrate on reducing my stash.

In 1/72 the holes are as follows (IMHO!)

P-47B and D

P-51A and B

Hawker Tempest (apparently there's a Sea Fury on the way scale TBC)

NA Havard IIB

Jet Provost 5

Single seat Vampire/Venom

Hunter

Tornado 1/3/4

Eurofighter

PHANTOM!!!!!!! (a proper Brit one)

Not all at once as I'm not greedy.........

Trevor

has anyone else noticed that the usual fortnightly workbench update wasn't posted on Friday? :frantic:

Yes, on page 4.

Snip...

Jet Provost 5

Tornado 1/3/4

Eurofighter...snip

Trevor

Putting aside the "don't make money for Airfix" argument, Sword and Revell make modern versions of these! Though a new Tornado F.2/3 and a suitable Eurofighter FGR.4 would be appreciated...

Yes, on page 4.

Putting aside the "don't make money for Airfix" argument, Sword and Revell make modern versions of these! Though a new Tornado F.2/3 and a suitable Eurofighter FGR.4 would be appreciated...

Thanks Charlie :thumbsup:

In 1/72 the holes are as follows (IMHO!)

P-47B and D

P-51A and B

Hawker Tempest (apparently there's a Sea Fury on the way scale TBC)

NA Havard IIB

Jet Provost 5

Single seat Vampire/Venom

Hunter

Tornado 1/3/4

Eurofighter

PHANTOM!!!!!!! (a proper Brit one)

Not all at once as I'm not greedy.........

Trevor

Why P-47D or Tempest?

There's an excellent rendering of the former by Tamiya. For the latter both Heller and Academy are of good standard: that is unless you mean Tempest ll and/or Tempest Vl which I personally would find most welcome.

Why P-47D or Tempest?

There's an excellent rendering of the former by Tamiya. For the latter both Heller and Academy are of good standard: that is unless you mean Tempest ll and/or Tempest Vl which I personally would find most welcome.

He's talking the holes in the Airfix range perhaps?

Other than that, I'd say there are also perfectly acceptable kits of the Jet Provost 5 (Airfix's is fine!), Vampire (Heller or MPM), Hunter (Revell), Eurofighter (Revell or Hasegawa) and British Phantom (Fujimi), with the Revell Tornado needing only a new nose (and some updates for a GR4.)

The biggie for me in 1/72 is a Venom - no single-seat mainstream IJ kit since the ancient Frog kit. I have had the Rareplane vac and the Aeroclub kits over the years, but it's long overdue! (A new NF/Sea Venom that's more accurate than the Dragon one would be great as well. )

Really surprised MPM have never done one.

Edited by Dave Fleming

Why P-47D or Tempest?

Airfix has long had a P-47 in their range so it's logical and in keeping with their current ethos to replace older subjects within the range. Aditionally, Airfix's will be cheaper and more readily available. Finally, Tamiya's kit makes no money for Airfix.

Regarding Academy's Tempest, the wing plan view shape is a bit suspect, likewise, the aileron hinge line also looks a bit off. Oh yeah, there's also the point that Academy's kit doesn't make any money for Airfix - don't know if anybody's mentioned that before (apologies for the sarcasm but it's a well founded mantra people choose to forget).

Agree that a II and 6 would be welcome, but as Special Hobby have shown with their 1/32nd scale kit, it is possible to tool the Tempest in such a way to make all of the production marks possible.

Edited by Wez

1/72 P-47 ? Revell and Tamiya are bad ?! Do you think a Airfix make better T-bolt as Tamiya ? This is a good joke :D

And "B" is really a bestseller :D :D :D

What is bad on Revell Panavia Tornado ?

Tempest was in time downscaled by Eduard.

Hawker Hunter make Revell too, not ?

Eurofighter make Revell and Hasegawa, really we need another ?

I think a better choice is making a British types....

As:

Avro Manchester (My dream)

Bristol Bulldog :)

Blackburn Shark

Fairey Albacore

Avro Vulcan

Handley Page Heyford

H-P 0/400

Fairey Battle

This is still a Tamiya make, a Eduard make a.....

This is a logic when growing new modelers generation (kits for Kids) but you haven't it ! Scale modeling is hobby for adults - a long time ! When you have a hi-quality kits of main types, another must be MOST better.

My point was that these were either replacements or gap fillers in the Airfix range and as such would be logical for them to produce.

I forgot to mention that they could also do a Mosquito (current one is horrid), a Boston and Hampden. Yes I know 'others' make them but if you applied that logic to cars, we would all be driving Fords (or your favoured tin box manufacturer ;) )

If Airfix can justify to their bean counters that a Jug would sell and make them money, well then why not do one? How old is their current mould?

Trevor