Airfix 2017

Denford

1/48 Spit XIV, Vampire T11, new Buccaneer, F-4 Phantom .

1/72 Comet RAF, new Vulcan.

One can dream !!

Guy

Didn't Airfix say that they would do all the major versions of the Spitfire? So then a XII/XV, XIV (low and high back) and Seafire I/II probably in 1/72.

Trevor

(Obviously not all at once, but........)

Didn't Airfix say that they would do all the major versions of the Spitfire?

Trevor

(Obviously not all at once, but........)

Yup, IIRC those words came from Mr Snowden's very lips.

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

For the ones waiting for a Shackleton AEW it isn't scheduled at the moment.

I asked them a few weeks ago if they are going to release it due to the very poor shaped radome of the Revell kit( i have a radome from Revell and i don't wanna hang it on my Shack thats for shure)

It(Revell Shack) has much more issues but that aside..

This was the answer of the Airfix customer care department:

"There are no plans currently for this but it sounds like a great idea.

I have ensured this has been passed on to the development and marketing team, so it can be taken into consideration for you."

So maybe they will do something with it because the Airfix radome shape is so much better and i don give a thing about the rivets...

Jan

There's nothing wrong with the Revell radome, see this thread, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998496-avro-shackleton-aew-mk-2-details/and indeed the whole kit knocks the Airfix example into a cocked hat unfortunately.

My real wish is that Airfix really improve their molding, finishing detail and plastic quality across ALL their kits, ie not just a few of them.

I agree with an earlier sentiment about a lack of decent British helicopters, such as the Whirlwind.

Also like the idea of a decent Hunter, F-111, British Phantom and a Vulcan.

I think we'll see variations on current mouldings - 1/72nd Fortress III(100 Gp), metal-winged Hurricane I, 1/48th RAAF Meteor F.8 and the FR.9, 1/48th Sea Hurricane and fingers crossed for a Spitfire Vc.

I'd also expect to see some more WW.I stuff as well as some new moulds of WW.II single engined types already in their catalogue that are overdue a new mould (Corsair, P-47, Lysander and the Holy Grail, a Harvard). I'm not expecting all of these but I'd be happy with one of them.

What I'd like to see is a Hunter T.7 in 1/72nd and a Hunter F.4/T.7 in 1/48th as well as a 1/72nd Phantom FGR.2/FG.1.

A Harvard in 1/72 would be most welcome. Bearing in mind just how widely used the T-6 has been it is woefully under-represented in kit form. It is also a subject that Airfix could probably get three or four separate boxings from (Series 1 RAF Harvard, Series 1 USN SNJ, Series 2 USAF with armament, Starter Set RAF post war) and would maximise returns on their investment.

• Like 2

It, and it's only an if, austerity is the name of the game for Hornby as the attempt to steady their finances, I'd have thought we'd see one or two different variants of things that have been released over the last couple of years.

Avro Lincoln perhaps?

B-17F?

And a curve ball... 1/72 Me262

It´s here a problem - from my point of view.

Airfix is now a overprized. And when i compared a Eduard FW-190A and Airfix FW-190.... Airfix haven´t chance. (Compared between plastic parts (OverTrees/Weekend). And now released Ed´s Spitfire Mk. IX ? against any new tool from Airfix ? in small This isn´t any league - this is another Galaxy :D Airfix quarter scale kits looks in comparating with Eduard´s Mk IX/VIII/XVI or Gustav v.2016 as toys.... No riveting, no open exhaust pipes - Airfix news in 2016 looks as from 1996. And this isn´t only when you comparable Airfix with Eduard (I´am Patrion and Ed´s Fanboy) - compared an AMK L-29 in small scale with Airfix kits in small scale. Compared AMK "Foxhound" or Kinetic Sea Flanker with Airfix quarter scale.... Airfix make kits a 70years and small, new, agile companies from Middle Europe and Asia beats it in "First Round" ! Why (Autocensored) make ANOTHER B-17 in SMALL SCALE ?! We have Academy, we have Revell - Why we need ANOTHER Flying Fortress in 1/72 ?! Why not make it in quarter scale ?! When Airfix few years back released a Lancaster - I (a BIG BRITHOPHIL) say - wohoo - another Lanc, sooo boring (I have in this time a 6xLancaster from Hawa and Revell - and really i don´t buy another Lancaster....

Yes, a small scale Hawker Typhoon, car scale Tiffy are nice kits... and probably a Defiant and Meteor (But i DON´T UNDERSTAND WHY AREN´T in Meteor F.8 as Decal option Korean War bird... This is a Warbird from Korea and haven´t Korea in decals ?! YOU CRAZY AIRFIX ?!!! )

Many People pleased for METAL WING Hurricane in 1/72. Hasegawa is long time discontinued.... And Airfix ? Released Airfix an METAL WING HURRICANE ? NOT !)

And few new tools from Airfix (YUP - the same types who relased Ed) are from Airfix a parody !

Bf-109G-6 with "saddle bulges" - WTF ?

Spitfire Mk. IXc (in ONE VERSION !!!! "C"wing only !!! and in EARLY config with bad bulges over whell wells) - NO INTERIOR ! Ugly panelage !!!!

MiG-15 - this is a realy a joke from HORNBY/AIRFIX !!!! New tool MiG-15 what looks as kit from 1956 !!! Compared it with "candy box" Hobby Boss - and with Ed´s - no.... this is a little unfair...Or Revell´s Shackelton vs. Airfix Shackelton - Revell looks as new kit, Airfix not...

THREE MOST ICONIC FIGHTER OF THEIR TIMES - and AIRFIX CAN´T MAKE IT IN QUALITY FROM 21th. CENTURY.

This is the End.... hold you breath and count to ten.... This is an AIRFIX FALL.... Unfortunatelly.

Airfix ignored competetior, Airfix ignored technology, Airfix ignored Reality - with more agile Companies - it still (WHY ?) live in history

and haven chance.... Airfix go into hell and probably don´t know why.

Yup - i bought a Car Door Tiffy and Meteor - but this is all... Need Money Airfix ? Make an new quarter scale Lancaster, Flying Fortress and Liberator and i give you my money ! Annnd Spitfire Mk. IXc/and soon "E" in "car scale" pleease.

Annnd 1/72 Upholder Submarine :)

• Like 1

In response to the essay, the 109G mig and spitfire ix are all somewhat older tooling for Airfix now.

And anyone who doesn't understand why a major firm needs a B17 or a Lancaster probably doesn't understand how model companies make money..

• Like 4

"Viermotorige" can´t be too atractive when in Royal Scale (1/48) we have still a forty years old kits from Revell(B-17F), Monogram (B17G, B-24D/J) & B-29 and Tamiya (Lancaster). Last heavy bomber in quarter scale was He-177 "Greif" released a many years back by MpM... We need a quarter scale Heavies not small scale.

Airfix is now a overprized. And when i compared a Eduard FW-190A and Airfix FW-190.... Airfix haven´t chance. (Compared between plastic parts (OverTrees/Weekend). And now released Ed´s Spitfire Mk. IX ? against any new tool from Airfix ? in small This isn´t any league - this is another Galaxy :D Airfix quarter scale kits looks in comparating with Eduard´s Mk IX/VIII/XVI or Gustav v.2016 as toys.... No riveting, no open exhaust pipes - Airfix news in 2016 looks as from 1996. And this isn´t only when you comparable Airfix with Eduard (I´am Patrion and Ed´s Fanboy) - compared an AMK L-29 in small scale with Airfix kits in small scale. Compared AMK "Foxhound" or Kinetic Sea Flanker with Airfix quarter scale.... Airfix make kits a 70years and small, new, agile companies from Middle Europe and Asia beats it in "First Round" ! Why (Autocensored) make ANOTHER B-17 in SMALL SCALE ?! We have Academy, we have Revell - Why we need ANOTHER Flying Fortress in 1/72 ?! Why not make it in quarter scale ?! When Airfix few years back released a Lancaster - I (a BIG BRITHOPHIL) say - wohoo - another Lanc, sooo boring (I have in this time a 6xLancaster from Hawa and Revell - and really i don´t buy another Lancaster....

Yes, a small scale Hawker Typhoon, car scale Tiffy are nice kits... and probably a Defiant and Meteor (But i DON´T UNDERSTAND WHY AREN´T in Meteor F.8 as Decal option Korean War bird... This is a Warbird from Korea and haven´t Korea in decals ?! YOU CRAZY AIRFIX ?!!! )

Many People pleased for METAL WING Hurricane in 1/72. Hasegawa is long time discontinued.... And Airfix ? Released Airfix an METAL WING HURRICANE ? NOT !)

And few new tools from Airfix (YUP - the same types who relased Ed) are from Airfix a parody !

Spitfire Mk. IXc (in ONE VERSION !!!! "C"wing only !!! and in EARLY config with bad bulges over whell wells) - NO INTERIOR ! Ugly panelage !!!!

MiG-15 - this is a realy a joke from HORNBY/AIRFIX !!!! New tool MiG-15 what looks as kit from 1956 !!! Compared it with "candy box" Hobby Boss - and with Ed´s - no.... this is a little unfair...Or Revell´s Shackelton vs. Airfix Shackelton - Revell looks as new kit, Airfix not...

THREE MOST ICONIC FIGHTER OF THEIR TIMES - and AIRFIX CAN´T MAKE IT IN QUALITY FROM 21th. CENTURY.

This is the End.... hold you breath and count to ten.... This is an AIRFIX FALL.... Unfortunatelly.

Airfix ignored competetior, Airfix ignored technology, Airfix ignored Reality - with more agile Companies - it still (WHY ?) live in history

Yup - i bought a Car Door Tiffy and Meteor - but this is all... Need Money Airfix ? Make an new quarter scale Lancaster, Flying Fortress and Liberator and i give you my money ! Annnd Spitfire Mk. IXc/and soon "E" in "car scale" pleease.

A few comments:

1. Airfix is overpriced - I assume that you are not in the UK, or even the US for that matter, as Airfix kits are typically some of the cheapest you can buy. The newer toolings (e.g. Vampire T.11, Meteor F.8, Defiant, Wildcat, B5N2 Kate, Whitley, etc) are especially good value for money. You mention Eduard quite a bit in your post, and I would point out that if you buy off the Eduard website, their kits are substantially cheaper to Czech residents than anyone else. Likewise, Hasegawa kits are quite reasonably priced in Japan but have silly MSRPs almost everywhere else. Interestingly, the prices of many of the Chinese made brands doesn't vary that much no matter how you buy them.
  2. Yes, the Eduard Fw 190A-8 kit is nicer than the Airfix kit and the weekend edition is not much more expensive. But, Eduard kits don't make money for Airfix and I'd bet that there are a lot more outlets selling Airfix in the UK than there are selling Eduard. From the very beginning, Airfix has tried to make kits that can be assembled by people of diverse skill levels so I think there is room in the market for an Airfix Fw 190. It is arguably better than some of the others that are still available from Academy, HobbyBoss, Hasegawa (I think out of production) and Revell.
  3. You said "Airfix quarter scale kits looks in comparating with Eduard´s Mk IX/VIII/XVI or Gustav v.2016 as toys" - I don't see Eduard ever doing 1/48 scale kits of the Sea Vixen, Javelin FAW.9, Canberras, Meteor F.8, Defiant, Hurricane Mk.I, etc, so whether Eduard could do a better kit is irrelevant. There are several subjects in 1/48 and 1/72 of which Airfix easily makes the best kit available. As for riveting and open exhaust pipes, there are nice tools available for adding rivets if you really want them and it is not at all hard to hollow out exhaust pipes if solid ones bother you that much.
  4. Again, Kinetic and AMK make kits of subjects that Airfix does not and vice versa. If I want a kit of a subject that Airfix makes, I'm going to compare it to other kits of that subject, if they exist, not hypothetical kits that could be made better if only (insert favourite manufacturer name here) would do one. The Airfix target audience is also very different from companies like AMK and Kinetic. Very few casual or occasional modellers are going to spring for an AMK MiG 31 or a Kinetic Su 33, if they are even aware that they exist.
  5. I'm fairly confident that the Airfix B-17G will be the most accurate kit of this aircraft ever produced in 1/72 scale. All the other kits (Hasegawa - lacks detail, Academy - too much dihedral, Matchbox - toy-like, old Revell - lacks detail, covered in rivets, new Revell - trenchlike panel lines in places) have issues. None of the other kits make money for Airfix. I'm sure they see it as a potentially great seller at airshows and the like.
  6. Airfix made a new kit of the Lancaster because their 1980's tooling had basically worn out from being in constant production. The Lanc is one of the most iconic British aircraft ever and Airfix probably felt they couldn't afford to not have one in their range.,
  7. It's not like you can't get aftermarket decals if the option for the one you want to model is not included in the box. As for the Meteor, Airfix include the early canopy in the box but don't provide a decal option to use it so I would bet a Korean War RAAF option is likely in a future boxing.
  8. As others have mentioned the Bf109G, Spit IX, and MiG 15 were released shortly after the takeover by Hornby when the company was still trying to find its way. These kits are far below the current Airfix standard of quality, but they are also much cheaper than the other options available in the home market.The shape of the Spit is reasonably good while the other two are quite forgettable. If Airfix were still producing kits of this quality, I would be quite concerned for the future of the brand. Fortunately, things seem to be getting better with each new release.
  9. I get that Airfix isn't making the kits you think they should make, but Airfix as a brand is profitable, even if Hornby taken as a whole is struggling at the moment. But they are contributing some wonderful new subjects to the market: the Defiants are brilliant, the 1/72 Swordfish, the exquisite Fokker E.II and B.E.2c, the Valiant, etc. The beauty of the market is that there are lots of other kit companies making kits of subjects that Airfix don't so I don't see it's that big a deal that the Airfix Fw 190A is not as good as the Eduard kit (to return to your initial premise). They both have a place in a market that includes kit builders from youthful beginners to experten and where they all have different tastes in subject matter and kit execution.
  10. One last point- nice as the Revell Shackleton surface detail is, it's mostly wrong for the AEW version kit that is in current release. Revell also provided much less interior detail than Airfix did.
  • Like 23

I wrote it bad - Mea culpa, Gentlemans. I think - first time - an technological advance. On car scale Tiffy Airfix demonstrate he have it - because i don´t understand why demonstrate it at gigantic scale only and in smallest scale not ?!

You seem a little... vexed, AICZ. Indigestion?

No. I prepare a traditional Scottish dinner - Beefsteak with French Steakhouse Fries and Tartar sauce... Specialty from LochNess.

Edited by AlCZ

No. I prepare a traditional Scottish dinner - Beefsteak with French Steakhouse Fries and Tartar sauce... Specialty from LochNess.

Don't forget the traditional deep fried Mars Bar for dessert.

• Like 1

Thinking about this more, if Hornby is generally struggling but Airfix is doing well wouldn't it make good business sense to invest more in Airfix as it has become Hornby's cash cow? The thread has highlighted several fairly mainstream types that are not well provided for which, I believe, would fly off the shelves if they were given the Airfix treatment. Surely these provide a great opportunity to Hornby/Airfix.

Although I cannot agree with everything AICZ mentioned, he did raise some good points If one is not UK centric in thinking about the brand.

Firstly app.45% if not more of Airfix goes to other European countries, EU being No.2 market after UK, so more than a few of his comments are on the mark

• Like 1

I do hope we are going to see some new exclusive Airfix Club kits, I joined the club in September last year, in that time there have been no new kits added to the Club range, I have a £20 voucher waiting to be spent but none of the current kits appeal to me.

I am also more than a little disappointed to find that the supposedly exclusive to Club member kits are now finding their way into high street stores, my local Toymaster store is selling the 1/48 Specialist Spitfire kit, I'm hoping that it's because they are clearing the warehouse to add new items :confused:

• Like 2

I do hope we are going to see some new exclusive Airfix Club kits, I joined the club in September last year, in that time there have been no new kits added to the Club range, I have a £20 voucher waiting to be spent but none of the current kits appeal to me.

I am also more than a little disappointed to find that the supposedly exclusive to Club member kits are now finding their way into high street stores, my local Toymaster store is selling the 1/48 Specialist Spitfire kit, I'm hoping that it's because they are clearing the warehouse to add new items :confused:

unfortunately not, airfix have said there are going to be no more club kits for the foreseable future

I hope Airfix slow down a bit - even stop for a year or two - so I can get through my backlog of excellent kits waiting to be built.......

Ain't that the case?! I've managed four so far with two more on the stocks. The Defiant was perfect but unfortunately the Fw190 is turning out to be a real sow.

I don't think some of these new tool Airfix kits are all that well suited to absolute beginners, but they do provide excellent practice for people like me getting back into the game after a bit of an absence!