Airfix 2017

Denford

1 minute ago, Tbolt said:

Could be :D I'm not sure a Buccaneer fits being received well all over the world, though the Phantom would.

I hope they are going to tell us on Saturday what it is and not wait till the talk on Sunday though.

Yes, you are of course spot-on. A Phantom has more appeal world-wide.

But that might mean its not a Spey Phantom. I think the difference is too big to be an on-sprue option.

2 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Could be :D I'm not sure a Buccaneer fits being received well all over the world, though the Phantom would.

I hope they are going to tell us on Saturday what it is and not wait till the talk on Sunday though.

Your thoughts echo mine exactly.

Given that this year we have had the B-17 and Shackleton (just when did the Whitley first hit the shops?) with a Victor to come, I don't think that we 1/72 modellers can complain too much.  Any one of these would have been the major Xmas announcement in the so-called Golden Years.  I'm sure that there will be more announcements to come and that some of them will be 1/72 WW2.  Roll on Telford.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 2

The workbench also includes this statement:

Countdown to Telford

With just one week to go until the Scale ModelWorld show at Telford, the Airfix team are finalising their plans and looking forward to meeting lots of Workbench readers over the weekend of 12th/13th November. If you are intending to visit the show, please do come and say hello to the team and don’t forget to mention that you are a Workbench reader – you could even make some suggestions on what you would like to see featured in future editions. As we confirmed in our previous blog, we will have a sizeable make and paint area available for modellers of all ages and the Airfix stand will be full of interesting model builds, prototype models and other Airfix delights. The Airfix team will also be there in some strength, allowing visitors the opportunity to speak to some of the people behind the fantastic models we feature in our Workbench blog. Importantly, we will be announcing a new model tooling at the show and one which will certainly cause something of a stir – there will be prototype examples displayed on the stand and you don’t have long to wait now. For readers who are unable to make the show, we will include a full review in a future edition of Workbench and try to give you a flavour of the unique atmosphere at this spectacular annual modelling experience. For those who will be at Telford, we very much look forward to meeting you there.

BREAKING TELFORD NEWS!

In support of our new model tooling announcement at Telford, both our lead researcher and the lead design engineer on the model project will be giving a talk on Sunday 13th November at the show. Without wanting to give too much away at this stage, we think our announcement will be very well received by modellers all over the world and it will be fascinating to hear details of how this iconic aircraft was turned into a highly accurate model kit, by the men responsible for doing it. Please speak to any of the Airfix team members on the stand at Telford for the latest details on how you can attend the talk – don’t miss out.
Unfortunately, that is all we have for you in this latest edition of Airfix Workbench. We are really spoiling you with all these new tooling announcements at the moment and you already know that the next edition will include yet more new model information. As we head towards the end of 2016, it is already looking like next year is going to be a significant one for Airfix modellers, with the new Hawker Sea Fury joining an impressive line up of new model toolings. If there is anything you would like to see covered in a future edition of Workbench or you would like to send us pictures of your latest model build project, please do drop us a line with your suggestion to [email protected].

So what will this new model be? I don't think it will be a defiant if its "ICONIC" and aimed at worldwide, but a Hunter, Phantom or Vulcan could fill that category?

Suggestions on here will surely follow

And, true to the old famous quote 'You can please some modellers some of the time but you can't please all modellers all of the time'....yawwwnnnn.

C'mon Airfix, enough with the fumble finger scale stuff, you've saved me enough money with these last three announcements, so come on where's my 72nd scale Sea Vixen & Javelin eh?? EH?? I have enough saved to buy, oh, two of each now....!!  :P :lol:

• Like 2

:heart:

That's me a happy boy. Of course I've just added the final item to a big box of aftermarket bits destined for the Hobbycraft kit but unlike those moaning about the new Mustang being irrelevant to them and their stash of Tamiya kits I've plenty room for more Sea Furies in my modelling life :) 

• Like 2