Airfix 2017

Denford

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Is speculation about a new 1/24 kit based on any thing  concrete or, is it simply based on fevered imaginings or blind hope/optimism?:P.

Allan

The original Typhoon sold well enough to justify issuing the Car Door version as a follow on.

7 hours ago, Robert said:

Please Airfix something with jet engines and post war/modern soon in 1/72.

I maybe the only one but have not bought an Airfix kit in the past couple of years as it has been the wrong scale and wrong era.

Have no doubt that the Meteor 8 will be scaled down some day.

Might get a 48th Mustang, not really my main scale, more interested in the Telford announcement. Would like an accurate 1/72nd C-130 or a Phantom, something more modern than WW2.

Paul Harrison

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 71chally said:

Yep, as per the forum heading description!:lol:

Touche!:rolleyes:. Well, I hope it isn't another 1/24 kit! Prefer something half the size and one quarter the price! (and preferably NOT another b*****Spitfire):lol:. Still, whatever it is, it's always good fun reading all the "why did they do this" or, "I would have preferred the Scruggs Wundaplane to the Fairley Ludicrous" or "modellers the world over are crying out for/screaming for" comments!!. For all my grumping about yet another P-51 kit or, the Walrus ( fairly yawn inducing) I have enough sense to accept that these will be popular subjects for many and I genuinely hope they do well. When Airfix announce their long overdue and eagerly anticipated (by me!) Avro Manchester and/or Avro Lincoln (logical inclusions to the Lancaster family!) we will doubtless hear other silly old curmudgeons like me moaning about "not another bloody WWII bomber kit"!! (NOW who is indulging in fantasy and fevered speculation!):lol:. Modellers eh!. In any case,  Airfix have never failed to produce something I will like.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 4

A new Vulcan and a re-issue of the Valiant... along with the Victor that would be one heck of a gift set :D

The 6 brushes and 48 potlets of paint included in the gift set would be most welcome...

• Like 4

Yeah we really needed another 48th Mustang???? Are there modellers in this world who only make kits when Airfix produce them?  I'm sure it will be very nice despite what the hyperscalers find wrong with it but rather boring...

mick

• Like 1

On 8/25/2016 at 7:28 PM, IanC said:

Good idea. But what poses would they do?

Probably mostly standing, sitting and walking figures all with head bowed and eyes fixed on a smartphone. And for variation maybe a smaller number holding phone to ear.

What about 'The Airfix Modeller's Set"? 48 pieces; 2 figures opening a box, 2 sitting at worlkbench, 2 painting a model,  41 figures grovelling on hands and knees looking for bits of the kit?
And a 1/72 cat for getting stuck to newly painted models.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Robby said:

A new Vulcan and a re-issue of the Valiant... along with the Victor that would be one heck of a gift set :D

The 6 brushes and 48 potlets of paint included in the gift set would be most welcome...

I don't know about 48 pots of paint it could just be one large pot of white.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

I don't know about 48 pots of paint it could just be one large pot of white.

Or a money off voucher for Halfords Appliance White,

Sean

• Like 3

Hmph.  Yet another P-51 leaves me cold...and I'm an American.  Ditto the Walrus.  A Spit-XIV would rate far higher on my want list.  1/72 Sea Vixens and Javelins would be welcome.

One wonders if they do any market research.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HMSLion said:

One wonders if they do any market research.

Yes, and most probably, they found out that a Mustang will sell much better than a Javelin or a Sea Vixen! ;) Not exactly what I've been waiting for too, but if it gives them cash to develop some lesser known types, it's fine for me in the long run.

Alex

• Like 7

11 hours ago, mick b said:

Yeah we really needed another 48th Mustang???? Are there modellers in this world who only make kits when Airfix produce them?  I'm sure it will be very nice despite what the hyperscalers find wrong with it but rather boring...

mick

There probably are Mick!  Like you,I am singularly underwhelmed by the release of yet another P-51. But, Airfix usually produce something that will interest me. In any case, I have no particular loyalty to the brand. Plenty of other choices out there. 

Allan

Was there any idea yet of how much the Walrus is going to be?

Airfix usually have a signature kit of the year for each of the past few years (including this year)

We have the 1/24 Typhoon and the Javelin for 2014/2013, I can't remember which was what year, We then had the Avro Shackleton for 2015 and the Victor for this year (2017). So I'm expecting something interesting to be announced at Telford. Part of me thinks we have going to get that Buccaneer re-tooling in 1/48 which would go down a treat with quite a few modellers, It is always a British subject so I hope they aren't going to try and catch us off guard with something different. 

I'm thinking they won't touch any Harriers, 1/72 has been done already and their is plenty of competition for 1/48 scale. 

I would be ultimately delighted if they went down a 1/48 Whitley road as its my next dream kit after my Shackletons were released but that won;t happen at the moment.

Hastings has yet to be done, but is there enough interest. 

• Like 1

Airfix is a company associated with brick and mortar or toys shop, so it simply have to have a Mustang in catalogue. They are a a bit different from more niche modeller companies, which can make living on producing more refine subjects for smaller, but more aware of market, customer base.

• Like 3

A decent Mustang in 1/48th will keep bringing cash into Airfix's coffers for years. A Spitfire XIV would likewise bring in money but for the casual buyer any Spitfire would do (they're less likely to care whether it's a I,V or XIV).

So if in doing a Mustang will allow them to continue to bring out lovely kits like the JP3, I'm quite happy for them to do so.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wez said:

A decent Mustang in 1/48th will keep bringing cash into Airfix's coffers for years. A Spitfire XIV would likewise bring in money but for the casual buyer any Spitfire would do (they're less likely to care whether it's a I,V or XIV).

So if in doing a Mustang will allow them to continue to bring out lovely kits like the JP3, I'm quite happy for them to do so.

Yep. And I bet we see a 1/48 Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8 from them at some stage too. That'll be even more..er..popular..;)