Airfix 2017

Denford

43 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

A new 2017 1/48 tease has been posted on Facebook and Twitter by Airfix. It appears to be a pic of a P-51 wheelbay: Clickie

:undecided:

Yep that is a P-51 wheel well. Certainly will be interesting with the Eduard one as well. Maybe Airfix will start with a B?

walkaround_p51_b_226.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

Just now, noelh said:

Looks like a D model to me. The C  models had a quite different layout. Unless Airfix got it wrong.

Yes I realized this was a D not long after I posted it, but it doesn't mean that we won't get a B in future, but I guess Airfix are playing it safe by going with the D.

To be fair the bay in the picture would not be representive of a wartime P51. Clearly it's a flyer judging by modern flexible hoses so not authentic. 

So the kit could be a B or C or a D or even a K.

We'll know tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, noelh said:

To be fair the bay in the picture would not be representive of a wartime P51. Clearly it's a flyer judging by modern flexible hoses so not authentic. 

So the kit could be a B or C or a D or even a K.

We'll know tomorrow.

No the earlier Mustangs including the B/C had a smaller door actuating system on the front of the door not like the large actuator on the rear on the D.

post-30-1209340816.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

Dear Airfix,

Your 1/48th P-51 (if that's what it's going to be, and it certainly looks like it) is almost certain to be a nice kit.

Your Spitfire XIV in 1/48th would probably be a nice kit as well.

As I have, over the past 20 odd years managed to accumulate a stash which contains somewhere in the region of 20 very nice 1/48th Hasegawa and Tamiya P-51s which do enough to meet my admittedly low demands for accuracy in a kit, I rather fear that the adage 'a kit of this aircraft made by someone else doesn't put money into Hornby's bank account' is going to be proven correct, even allowing for my weak will when confronted with a decent Airfix kit.¹

As I have, over the past 20 odd years managed to accumulate a stash which contains somewhere in the region of exactly zero (as in none, not as in A6M) very nice Spitfire XIVs which do enough to meet my admittedly low demands for accuracy in a kit...²

Yours, 

A slightly puzzled-at-the-apparent-ongoing-failure-to-fill-an-obvious-gap modeller.

PS. My bank manager sends his thanks.

¹ As I think the presence of some 20 1/48th Lightning F1/F1A/F2/F2A and F6 around my house might suggest...

² What on earth were Academy thinking when they did that nose?

• Like 4

Before anyone thinks I'm being grumpy, the above isn't that serious. While it seems a little odd that the ultimate Spitfire [the 21 arrived just too late for that accolade] in WW2 is missing, particularly after the XIX's appearance a couple of years back, I've often wondered why - starting back in the day of the Seafire and Spit 22/24  - why Airfix didn't go for what appeared to be a fairly safe bet for decent sales of a 48th scale Mustang III and/or Mustang IV, even allowing for the presence of competition from Tamiya and Hasegawa, and if it does turn out to be a Mustang, then that's a welcome and sensible addition to the range (and I'll almost certainly buy a couple, if I'm being honest).

Follow a well done Airfix P-51, with an equally well done 48th Tempest V and 48th Spit XIV to cover off the late war RAF fighter force and that'll certainly lighten my wallet in Hornby's favour...

• Like 1

Good morning

Good news for those interested by Mustang in 1/48 scale I already have the Tamiya P51 B and P 51 D in 1/48 scale in my stash and I don't think I am going to invest money there ..

So far if I am right we have a new Me 262 in 1/72 scale and a new Walrus and this Mustang in 1/48 scale I am eagerly waiting for the followings news kits for 2017 ...

Patrice  

Please Airfix something with jet engines and post war/modern soon in 1/72.

I maybe the only one but have not bought an Airfix kit in the past couple of years as it has been the wrong scale and wrong era.

OK, I may understand that Airfix wants to sell as many models as possible but releasing yet another P-51D is strange. I think that the people from that company read this forum so I believe they've seen that lots of people mentioned Spitfires Mk.Vc and Mk.XIV or Mustangs III/B. I only hope this kit will include parts which characterized Mustangs IV and IVa (Aeroproduct prop and louvers).

10 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

P-51 leaves me stone cold, but, following your logic, a new (and properly detailed) Beaufighter in 1/48.......:Tasty:

Yet another P-51. Leaves me stone cold too - as does the Walrus (and Spitfires!!:P). However, expanding on your theme , soon to be followed by a new (and properly detailed) Blenheim I, Blenheim IV and, Dornier, Junkers Ju-88, Heinkel HE-111, Fw-190 A/D,Hampden.................................!!!!:lol:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Its out, its a P-51D

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-wwii-classic-in-148th-scale/

As you would expect, the model will be able to be finished in either flight, or static configuration, with the latter providing the modeller with a number of alternative options, such as canopy position, flaps and undercarriage door positioning.  The kit will also allow the modeller to build different versions of the ‘D’ model Mustang, from the first machines introduced into service, to the later aircraft which featured a number of improvements - this will very much appeal to fans of this magnificent aeroplane.  There will also be a number of weapon and under-wing drop tank options available, which will allow the modeller to produce a great many of the attractive Mustang schemes we will all be familiar with

Edited by trickydicky210

6 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

Its out

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-wwii-classic-in-148th-scale/

and yes its a Mustang, series 5 and has rockets and drop tanks looks smart

And a new tooling announcement to be made at Telford, I suspect this will possibly be a new 1/24 scale kit, I'm still hoping its a Sea Fury, although I'd e happy with another 1/48 post war British subject.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Is speculation about a new 1/24 kit based on any thing  concrete or, is it simply based on fevered imaginings or blind hope/optimism?:P.

Allan

timing, had two years of a 1/72 being the flagship release, (as the two 1/24's have been reissues)

Another new tool P-51D in 1:48? I am not sure about the Meng kit announced but would be sure that the Eduard kit will be good. Surely the Airfix one will be pretty good as well maybe evenen more detailed from the box in places where Eduard might ask for Brassin but I could expect a little price battle between Airfix and Eduard Weekend kits...

Cannot help it - despite the P-51 is a nice announcement I wish it was something more British. Seafury for example.